I think my bunn has GI stasis...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
naturestee wrote:
FYI, Maalox is not a gas med, it's for "burning sensations" caused by indigestion. The active ingredient is calcium carbonate.
http://www.maalox.ca/qd_rs.htm

I don't know if this is safe for rabbits. I'd rather not use it. I do know that some vets prescribe Pepsid AC or something similar for some rabbits, mainly if their other prescription meds upset their stomachs. But that's not the same ingredients.

I'd stick with Simethicone for gas problems.
It's Maalox Anti-Gas, oops, should have specified that when I saw it on the above Simethicone list. It's elsewhere on the page you linked.

http://www.maalox.ca/qd_es_antigas.htm

But it also containscalcium carbonate -- "Each tablet contains calcium carbonate 1000 mg and simethicone 60 mg" --so the question is whether that is harmful and outweighs the benefits of the Simethicone.(I did find abreeder or bunny site with someone who used the Maalox AntiGas chewables without any 'apparent' ill effects, but thisdefinitely something to be looked into).

Good catch! (And my bad :nono, I messed that one up!)

sas:baghead

Pipp wrote:
naturestee wrote:
FYI, Maalox is not a gas med, it's for "burning sensations" caused by indigestion. The active ingredient is calcium carbonate.
http://www.maalox.ca/qd_rs.htm
It's Maalox Anti-Gas, oops, should have specified that when I saw it on the above Simethicone list. It's elsewhere on the page you linked.

http://www.maalox.ca/qd_es_antigas.htm

But it also containscalcium carbonate -- "Each tablet contains calcium carbonate 1000 mg and simethicone 60 mg" --so the question is whether that is harmful and outweighs the benefits of the Simethicone. (I did find abreeder or bunny site with someone who used the Maalox AntiGas chewables without any 'apparent' ill effects, but thisdefinitely something to be looked into).
For future reference, the consensus seems to be that MaaloxGAS is fine. It contains 60 mg of Simethicone, the bunny should ingest around 20 mg, so 1/3 of a tablet is fine (as long as that's what gets eaten, not dribbled). Bunnies will be more inclined to eat the sweet tablet brands willingly. And check the packages, but other gas meds like Gas X and Mylanta Gas probably contain around 80 mgs, soMaaloxGAS is in the ball park.

sas

Updating the thread:

This morning I found that she had finished the lettuce I gave her yesterday afternoon, which is slow for her but I was encouraged by that and the small amount of poops I found. She had also peed twice. Since she still wasn't acting right and her poops weren't normal, and also since it looked like she hadn't drank anything since yesterday, I decided to take her in today. When I came home at lunch to get her I noticed she had eaten her parsley but not her lettuce, still hasn't touched her hay, and had very very little to drink.

The vet looked her over and said she couldn't feel any blockages in her intestine, but since her appetite is less than normal and since she isn't really drinking she wanted to keep her overnight to administer subcutaneous fluids and to force some food in her, and to take an xray to look for any blockages she might have.

I hate not having her here. :(The vet said she doesn't know what could be affecting her appetite but will hopefully know more after observing her for a day. I'm really worried about her--am I overreacting? I tend to be a pessimist when it comes to these things, does this sound terribly serious to any of you?

I think you did the right thing by taking her in.

You noticed no improvment, and she's was still acting off.

Hopefully the vet will be able to get her back on track and eating soon.

:pray: Sending prayers for a quick recovery.

--Dawn

Thanks so much for asking. I'm notsure how she's doing yet, the vet kept her overnight and told me tocall this afternoon to check on her. I'm not sure if I'll getto take her home, when I asked 'So I can pick her up tomorrowafternoon?' the vet said 'Why don't you call us to see?', so I'mguessing if she hasn't improved she'll be staying overnightagain. She was still fiesty as ever at the vet, but since shewasn't eating or drinking the vet wanted to get some fluids and food inher first, and then start working on what's causing it. She'salso going to take some xrays and test her samples in the meantime totry and figure out what's up. I'm just waiting and hopingI'll get good news later today...will keep you all posted.

A lot of people think 'it's just a bunny' and would never understandwhy I'm so upset, it's awesome that I know I can talk with people whounderstand how stressful and upsetting this is.

Sounds like you have a great vet. I'mglad they kept her over and are giving her fluids. Pleasekeep us updated.

Pam

I just spoke with my vet and they're going tokeep her again tonight. They said that she's eating anddrinking and acting fine, they didn't see anything on the xrays, andthat they've given her pineapple juice and they're waiting to see ifshe passes anything. I can pick her up tomorrowmorningif she passes anything between now and then, if shehasn't passed anything by this time tomorrow afternoon then they'regoing to assume there isn't anything to pass and send her home withme. Unfortunately they still have no idea what caused thewhole mess in the first place.I'm hoping thisweekend I'll see her starting to get back to heroldself.

Just to update the thread...I picked Allie upthis afternoon and she seems to be doing okay. She's eating,drinking, and pooping again, and while she's sleeping a lot she'sacting much better. She seems to have pulled through!:colors:

Yay..glad to hear it!

I hope she continues to improve and feel better. Sounds like you have a very knowledgable vet.

Please keep us posted :)

-Haley

Latest posts

Back