I think I may have found loose domestic bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Hello,

We were driving through the neighborhood a few minutes ago and we sawtwo loose bunnies on someone's lawn. One of them looked like yourtraditional wild bunny (brown); however, the other one looked black andwhite (kind of like a miss-marked dutch). Are there wild bunnies thatlook like that? If they are domestic, what can I do? It's getting dark,so catching them could be a problem, and we don't have an animalcontrol that I know of. But I worry, because there are alot of loosecats here. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know of any wild bunnies that look like that, but I'm not too familiar with them.

I'd suggest you just watch them to see where they'reliving/sleeping. The rescue people here find out wherethewarren is, and get two or three people and net to catchthem.

Let us know what you find out!

sas et al

Thanks, I'll check in the morning and see ifthey are still there. Maybe knock on a few doors in the area and see ifanyone is missing bunnies. Meanwhile, I'm researching the best way toround them up. I wish I had confirmation that they will be okayovernight. My stomach is in knots:shock:.

You could always head over to the yard you sawthem in with a carrot or greens in hand. I know my bun comes running atthe sound of the plastic bags I keep the greens in. If they aredomestic and hungry it may be easier to catch them than you think. Younever know. Atleast, you would feel like you did something. good luck.

I'm praying that they will be okay untiltommorow. It's 9:30 pm here so crawling around on private property inthe dark could be a problem. I think I'll go to those houses tommorowand ask if I can have access to their property to catch them, providedthey don't belong to them. Thanks for the help:).

They're not going to be around for you or anypredators to catch overnight, so don't worry about that.:) They know how to hide.

They may be out again early in the morning, but you're most likely tosee them again the same time of day your saw them the first time --just a little earlier to see if you can tell where they're coming from.

Knocking on doors isa great idea. The neighbourswill be able to tell you how long they've been hangingaround. (I don't think they tend to travel very far).

And the carrots are a good idea as well. If they'refriendly strays, might be easy.

Good luck!

sas et al

Good luck! Hopefully the neighborswill help too. Do you know anyone that has large livetraps? Sometimes those are easier to use.

Oh, and the black and white one is definately domestic. Thebrown one might be too if they were hanging out together, but you neverknow. Was it's body type like a wild cottontail or like oneof the domestic breeds? I do know that cottontails anddomestics (bred down from European wild rabbits) can't breed together.

That's how we ended up with Rosie....someoneabandoned her at a gas staton in the winter. Buck & The Missuscaught her and we adopted her.
Here's an old pic when she was still greasey...

That's so sad. Luckily, the bunnies I saw looked fairly clean. My guess is they've been abandoned/lost recently.

Latest posts

Back