I think I made my bunny mad at me >:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnie lover

Reaction score
As of lately my bunny has been acting quite different she seems to be upset with me but I’m doing my best to make her happy. I made her a new bunny fort giving her treats which she sometimes won’t eat when I give them to her (not like her at all). I fear she’s lost trust in me and I’m not sure how to get it back. It’s making me so sad because I love her so much and just want her to be happy again. She doesn’t even run around anymore I’m really concerned this behavior is so so unusual and I’m not sure what to do to get my happy bunny back. She’s attacked me for the forts time ever and I’m afraid I accidentally scared her. Please help !

Is she eating, drinking, and pooping normally? It almost sounds like she has Gi-stasis. Is she sitting hunched up like the rabbit in the picture?

Attachments

• 2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 17
Sitting like that means that she is in pain. What is her diet? Does she get hay? Has she been eating as much hay as normal? Have all of her poops been normal?

Sitting like that means that she is in pain. What is her diet? Does she get hay? Has she been eating as much hay as normal? Have all of her poops been normal?
She always has hay available to her she hasn’t been eating as much as she used to. For example usually all her hay is gone by the morning and lately she has leftovers. Her poop seems to look normal to me

Your bunny most likely has Gi-stasis. It is fatal if left untreated. There are several things you can do to get her through the night though. Please do all these things if possible. Here is a link on Gi-stasis: https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/.

- Get the rabbit to a vet. Your rabbit has a high chance of dying if it is not taken to the vet. I cannot emphasis on how much this rabbit needs to go to the vet.

- Give her infant gas drops: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Parent-s...elief-Simethicone-Drops-20mg-1-fl-oz/53953005. Gas drops break up gas bubbles that can cause pain. You can give her 1ml by mouth every hour for the first 3 hours, and then 1ml every 8 hours. If you don't have gas drops you will need to buy some or you can brew fennel seeds, peppermint tea, or chamomile tea in hot water and syringe feed it to your rabbit after it is cooled. NO HONEY. Syringe it to your rabbit every hour. These should help get gas out. It is a substitute for Infant Gas Drops.

- Give tummy massages. Massages help get gas bubbles out. Here is a link on how to do it properly: .

- Make your rabbit run around. It may be that you must push her around and make her mad in order to get her moving, but it will be worth it. Moving around will get her gut moving.

- Give fresh pineapple juice. It can help with dissolving hair in the intestines which could be clogging her up. If you don’t have fresh pineapple you can use canned pineapple, but it does not work as well.

- Syringe feed Critical Care 6 times a day. If you don’t have Critical Care you need to soak pellets in water until they are mushy. Then smash them in the water until you have a mixture the consistency of pancake batter.

- Cut Timothy Hay with scissors until the hay has turned to powder. It will be very long hard work, but it will be worth it in the end. Mix it with water until it is also the consistency of pancake mixture, and syringe feed it to your rabbit when you syringe feed it the pellet mixture.

- Syringe water 6 times a day. Fill a bowl with water so that the rabbit can drink freely. Add some apple juice or pineapple juice to make it more appealing.

- Give fresh veggies (Romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, and kale). Soak them in water for a minute and feed them to your rabbit while wet that way your rabbit gets water. You can crush some pellets and put the pellet powder on the wet veggies.

- Order Critical Care and Infant Gas drops so that you can have them ASAP. Here are the links:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FKACX...olid=1WPEFZJ54GMSE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Remed...ywords=infant+gas+drops&qid=1584239049&sr=8-2

Your bunny most likely has Gi-stasis. It is fatal if left untreated. There are several things you can do to get her through the night though. Please do all these things if possible. Here is a link on Gi-stasis: https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/.

- Get the rabbit to a vet. Your rabbit has a high chance of dying if it is not taken to the vet. I cannot emphasis on how much this rabbit needs to go to the vet.

- Give her infant gas drops: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Parent-s...elief-Simethicone-Drops-20mg-1-fl-oz/53953005. Gas drops break up gas bubbles that can cause pain. You can give her 1ml by mouth every hour for the first 3 hours, and then 1ml every 8 hours. If you don't have gas drops you will need to buy some or you can brew fennel seeds, peppermint tea, or chamomile tea in hot water and syringe feed it to your rabbit after it is cooled. NO HONEY. Syringe it to your rabbit every hour. These should help get gas out. It is a substitute for Infant Gas Drops.

- Give tummy massages. Massages help get gas bubbles out. Here is a link on how to do it properly: .

- Make your rabbit run around. It may be that you must push her around and make her mad in order to get her moving, but it will be worth it. Moving around will get her gut moving.

- Give fresh pineapple juice. It can help with dissolving hair in the intestines which could be clogging her up. If you don’t have fresh pineapple you can use canned pineapple, but it does not work as well.

- Syringe feed Critical Care 6 times a day. If you don’t have Critical Care you need to soak pellets in water until they are mushy. Then smash them in the water until you have a mixture the consistency of pancake batter.

- Cut Timothy Hay with scissors until the hay has turned to powder. It will be very long hard work, but it will be worth it in the end. Mix it with water until it is also the consistency of pancake mixture, and syringe feed it to your rabbit when you syringe feed it the pellet mixture.

- Syringe water 6 times a day. Fill a bowl with water so that the rabbit can drink freely. Add some apple juice or pineapple juice to make it more appealing.

- Give fresh veggies (Romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, and kale). Soak them in water for a minute and feed them to your rabbit while wet that way your rabbit gets water. You can crush some pellets and put the pellet powder on the wet veggies.

- Order Critical Care and Infant Gas drops so that you can have them ASAP. Here are the links:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FKACX...olid=1WPEFZJ54GMSE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Remed...ywords=infant+gas+drops&qid=1584239049&sr=8-2

Thank you so so much !!! I have made an appointment for her earlier this morning it’s in two weeks. I will be doing all these things I love her so much I want her to be healthy.

Two weeks is too late. Rabbits can die within 24 hours if it is not treated. I would call your vet back and ask them to find a way to get her in tomorrow. Let them know how important it is for her to get in. Most people at the front desk do not realize how dangerous Gi-stasis is.

Go with what mariam+theo said, that sounds what it is. Let us know though. Is she around boys, if so she could be pregnant, not likely but it is possible.

Two weeks is too late. Rabbits can die within 24 hours if it is not treated. I would call your vet back and ask them to find a way to get her in tomorrow. Let them know how important it is for her to get in. Most people at the front desk do not realize how dangerous Gi-stasis is.
Will do I can’t express how thankful I am for all your guys help and advice she seems to really like the tummy rubs

I would start with simethicone, baby gas drops, first off. That often is enough to get them back to normal. If she's still eating and pooping, then the gas drops (and massages) may well be enough.

I would not stress her with syringe feeding if she's eating on her own. That can make things worse (the stress). Over reacting to early stages of GI stress can just exacerbate the situation.

Also, don't offer any greens that she isn't already used to. This is not the time to introduce new foods.

Stress itself can bring on GI stasis, so minimizing that stress is important. That is why I suggest to not go crazy with doing a bunch of stuff if she is still eating on her own and pooping. If she refuses food or stops pooping, then, sure, that is time to take drastic measures. But from what you describe, just the gas drops could be enough to get her back on her feet.

That football posture is indicative of gas pains. That makes them not too keen on eating. The gas drops relieve that discomfort and get them feeling themselves again.

For the dosage of the gas drops:
1-2cc per hour for 3 hours, then 1cc every 3-8 hours as needed

I would start with simethicone, baby gas drops, first off. That often is enough to get them back to normal. If she's still eating and pooping, then the gas drops (and massages) may well be enough.

I would not stress her with syringe feeding if she's eating on her own. That can make things worse (the stress). Over reacting to early stages of GI stress can just exacerbate the situation.

Also, don't offer any greens that she isn't already used to. This is not the time to introduce new foods.

Stress itself can bring on GI stasis, so minimizing that stress is important. That is why I suggest to not go crazy with doing a bunch of stuff if she is still eating on her own and pooping. If she refuses food or stops pooping, then, sure, that is time to take drastic measures. But from what you describe, just the gas drops could be enough to get her back on her feet.

That football posture is indicative of gas pains. That makes them not too keen on eating. The gas drops relieve that discomfort and get them feeling themselves again.

For the dosage of the gas drops:
1-2cc per hour for 3 hours, then 1cc every 3-8 hours as needed
Thanks I’ve been trying to do the gas drops but she’s being quite difficult. Do you maybe have any tactics that might make it easier? ..

I mix the gas drops with a little oatmeal. Next approach would be putting it on top of her front paws. If that wouldn't work I would put it directly into her mouth, with a syringe from the side right behind the front teeth, one drop at a time.

Not all my rabbits accept being touched, so my way to massage their tummy is to sit on a chair, put the rabbit on my lap, and shake the whole rabbit by balancing my foot on the palm, with the right position and load on the foot my leg keeps shaking almost entirely reflexive. You'll see pretty fast if it feels good for the rabbit.

Thanks I’ve been trying to do the gas drops but she’s being quite difficult. Do you maybe have any tactics that might make it easier? ..
Do you have any fruit? Maybe see if you can cut a small piece of banana and squirt some there. I use the Mylicon brand and Trixie takes it like a champ with no issues. I think it's because it smells fruity.

The dropper in the cheek area (between cheek and teeth, not directly in the mouth) is how I do it. Even with their mouth closed, the dropper can slip through their mouth there on the side. Once it is in their cheek, they will instinctively swallow. Just a little at a time.

Latest posts

Back