I think Cadbury has ear mites.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicangel69

Reaction score
I think Cadbury might have ear mites. He wasbeen shaking his head periodically over the last few day, butyesterday(after he came home from a horrible neuter...never doing tothat vet again, long story...) he has been shaking his head, flappingaround his ears, and scratching and digging at the inside of his ear,and around the lobe. Last night be scratched it 10 times in like 5minutes. Does this sound like mites? And if so, does he need to see thevet.

It could be ear mites, although headshaking seems to happenfor a variety of reasons.

Here's the Resource Center page with a bunch of links andthreads. One of them has a great set of pics, but can'tremember which one, sorry! Lots of treatment info,too.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11954&forum_id=10

If he does have mites, can you take him back to the same vet and demandfree treatment if he picked them up there? (You can treatthem at home, but if he hasn't had Ivermectin before, I'd personallyfeel more comfortable witha vet-supervised shot in case hehas a reaction).

Good luck with him!

sas

It could be mites. Does he have anyredness or crusty stuff in his ears? I'd take him to a vet ifhe's scratching a lot. Like Pipp, I'd rather have the vetfigure out the right dose. Plus if it's not mites, there's achance it's an ear infection.

He has an appointment today at 3 40. The vetsaid that there was no way the rabbit got anything from their clinic,they said he wasn't by any other rabbits.(they never admit to anythingdo they), but they said that they would check it for free since theydidn't do it when he was in for the neuter.

He doesn't have anything crusty, or flaky skin in his ears, but he just started scratching last night.

It could be either ear mites or an earinfection. Either one warrants a vet visit. About a month ago Amber hadthe same problem, frequent head shaking. It turned out to be a minorear infection, one that cleared up quickly with a strict regimen of earcleanings and antibacterial ear drops.

When i took him in, the vet swabed both of hisears. One had blood all over it when he took it out. He then looked atthem under a microscope, and determined that it was an inner earinfection. He gave me drops thati have to put in his ears,three drops in each ear twice a day for 10 days, then the vet wants tosee him again.

Cadbury hates me now. He wont even look at me, and he went crazy when iput each drop in. Every time i go to touch him now, he shakes. **cries**

Sounds alot like Amber's experience, althoughshe didn't have blood. Don't worry, they stop hating you a few daysafter you stop tackling them in order to get the drops in:shock: I'mglad it was caught early:D

I meant to ask the vet this, but can all innerear infections cause head tilt, or is it just a certain bacteria orfungus that causes that?

What would have happened if it hadn't been discovered for a while longer?

gothicangel69 wrote:
What would have happened if it hadn't been discovered for a while longer?
:shock: That's a scary what if question!

A number of things including scratching his ear raw, permanent damageto the ear drum, and I'm not 100% sure, but I would think it could alsolead to Wry Neck - a very serious condition.

~Sunshine

wow!! im sure glad i caught it early. Ill have to reallt keep an eye on his ears from now on.

Oh, and on emore question, lol. How am i supposed to look at the woundof a newly neutered rabbit when it wont let me pick him up to look atit???

gothicangel69 wrote:
Oh, and on emore question, lol. How am i supposed to look atthe wound of a newly neutered rabbit when it wont let me pick him up tolook at it???

Can you use a treat to lure him into standing up? That's how I've done it.

Good job on noticing his symptoms! Inner ear infections canget bad if they're not treated, and they have been known to cause wryneck, but I'm not sure how many do.

Thats a very good idea naturestee. He loves standing up, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Instead of oat groat, i got these papaya bites, are these ok to feed them? He goes crazy for them. They're for birds though.

Crude Protein(min)..........0.1%

Crude fat(min).................0.0%

Crude Fiber(max)............15.0%

Moisture(max).................12.0%

It says that the only ingredientsare papaya and artificial color.

Latest posts

Back