I started a cooking blog!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cait, I'm so glad the Boozi Bears turned out for you! Aren't they good? I should put the recipe on the blog.

Also, did anyone from here leave this comment on the Sage Pork Chops post? "I enjoyed this stuff! I placed a lid over the pan for part of the time, and then seared at the end. Came out juicy and tender with that searing flavor on the outside. Perfect with this one http://www.gourmetrecipe.com/recipes/apricot-apple-and-banana-pudding-recipe!"

I'm wondering if it's spam or something because the comment is kind of odd. It was posted this morning and I just posted the recipe at like midnight last night so I doubt they had a chance to make the pork chops already. Plus they say they sear the chops at the end, but you already brown the pork chops at the beginning. By the end of the cooking there's a bunch of liquid in the skillet and it would be hard to sear the meat. Also they don't mention what the pork chop recipe is at all- they just say "stuff" and "meat" so it's pretty generic. It seems like a comment they could leave on many random recipes on people's blogs. Then they included a link to a random dessert recipe that they said it goes great with. I'm just kind of confused- maybe it's owner of the website the recipe is on and they want more traffic or something?

Thoughts?

Has anyone here heard of Gooseberry Patch? They're a company that's been around since the 1980s and they publish lots of cook books and sell kitchen doo dads. I've liked Gooseberry Patch since I was a kid. When my mom would get a catalog, I'd sit in the kitchen and read the entire thing even though most 7 year olds don't have much of an interest in that sort of thing. As an adult, I have a couple of Gooseberry Patch cook books and just like them a lot. Many of the recipes aren't very fancy, but neither am I, and there are lots of interesting ones.

So, why am I mentioning this? A couple of months ago I submitted a recipe to them on their website and I got a letter in the mail today saying they want to use the recipe in their next cook book! I have to send back a permission slip and then they'll send me a copy of the book when it prints. How cool is that? Nowhere near as cool as getting one's own cook book published (that would be amazing) but kind of exciting nonetheless. Incidentally, I submitted the recipe to AllRecipes.com 5 years ago and they never accepted it.

Here it is:

Cinnamon Roll Cake

Ingredients

1 18.25 ounce box of white cake mix
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
4 1/2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 by 13 pan.
Prepare cake batter according to instructions on box and spread half the batter in the pan with a rubber spatula.
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it evenly on the cake.
Spread the rest of the batter evenly over the brown sugar mix and run the rubber spatula through the layers to create swirls.
Bake according to cake mix's directions, about 30 to 35 minutes.
When cake is done, stir together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and pour over cake, spreading the glaze to the edges.
Serve hot.

It's hardly even a recipe but I thought it up years ago and everyone always loves it. It's like cinnamon rolls in cake form. Perfect for breakfast or dessert. I knew it was a hit because the first time I made it, Paul came home with about 3 friends right as I finished pouring on the glaze and between them they almost finished the entire thing in 10 minutes! I haven't made it in at least a year but I'm going to probably make it this weekend and post the recipe on the blog :D

Congratulations on your successful recipe submission. Maybe one day you'll write that cookbook.

Looking forward to making your Cinnamon Roll Cake. Love Cinnamon.

Thanks for posting it.

Again congratulations!

K

Yumm, one more delicious recipe!
I have some questions though: is "poederes sugar" the same thing as sugar? And if I don't have brown sugar, only white sugar, how much do you think I could use of it instead of 1 cup?
Now the big challenge.. hehe.. can I make it without eggs (for the mix, for example)? If you tell me I can, I'll be so happy!! :) :) :)
Thanks!!

And of course, congrats for having your recipe published! You should ask them to publish your name in it. You're gonna get famous!! :)
You have wonderful recipes, I hope someday you publish your own book too!

And I don't doubt the pork chop comment could have been someone taking a ride on the viewers of your blog to increase their traffic. I've got some messages complimenting my blog, saying a certain topic was very well written and easy to understand, blah blah blah - but there was only a video on that topic.. then the person asked me to add their link to my page. I didn't do it simply because the person lied to me. But anyway, in your case it's hard to tell, because your recipes are REALLY good and they certainly will get more and more compliments!

Vivian, I looked it up online and it looks like you cold substitute 1/4 C applesauce for each egg in the cake mix. Powdered sugar is sugar that has been ground up so it's very fine grained, like flour. Another name for it is confectioner's sugar. When you add even a little bit of liquid to it, it basically dissolves right away. If you can't get powdered sugar, I would honestly just recommend that you leave the glaze off. Other types of sugar would be gritty and not work out. It will be plenty sweet without the glaze!

And Gooseberry Patch cook books are basically full of recipes other people have sent to them so I hardly doubt I would get any kind of attention for my recipe :) Thanks for the vote of confidence though!!

nice! I USED to be very passionate about cooking and food. My boyfriend is trained in classic French dining and now I can't stand cooking (especially with him lol).... I still eat the food like no tomorrow though! It's good that you're doing something you enjoy!! I wanted to start a blog before... I think it was to be make up related because I'm a make up artist but I never got too much into it so I continue to share my experiences on Peter's blog on here :)

Shiloh. The Boozi Bears. Makes for VERY fun evenings in our household haha! I think we're always going to keep some around now.

Also we made your cinnamon roll cake last night, and it was AMAZING. I gave some to the neighbors and they loved it too!

Holtzchick, I'm glad my husband isn't a chef or anything. I fully realize that a lot of people would look down on the kinds of things I make but he loves most of the stuff I cook. A friend of ours is very into fancy cooking and Paul tells me he likes what I make better.

This week I'm making navy bean soup, a chicken pasta recipe I found in a magazine, and a couple other things that I'll cobble together from ingredients we have already, like salmon patties or biscuits and gravy. If the recipes turn out well enough, I'll post them on the blog! Though I already know that the salmon patties and biscuits and gravy are good, and I don't see why the navy bean soup won't be good since it will just be my slow cooker pinto beans with some extra ingredients tossed in.

mmm... that sounds good, i've gone more onto being a pascetarian so I eat vegetables and seafood rather than meat it makes me quite tired.

See even though he's into fine dining, alot of the time I tell him to make other things because they're more practical. I feel like every time we step into the grocery store we get 50+ ingredients for one dish!! (exaggerating likely by a lot :)) We actually have been eating a lot of comfort foods like pastas especially because it's winter.... I will check out your blog when you have time and possibly attempt something! (I really used to be a good cook.... now I feel like I've forgotten my ways)

Thanks!! I know what confectioner's sugar is, we have it here, I don't know if average grocery stores sell it, I'll have to take a look. And thanks for telling me about the apple sauce! You're a cooking genius, you know everything!! So I don't know why you say you wouldn't get attention for your recipes.. I know them, but I have no idea who or what "Goose(who?) Patch" is.
By the way, here I go: banana cake again. I got ripe bananas! :)

Just seeing this now - reminds me of the epic photos of your dinner thread :D
Going over to read your blog now :)

... ok, officially hating you now - SOOOO HUNGRY!
Thanks for all the cool new vegetarian recipes !!!

Don't be hatin'! :) I hope you try some recipes and like them! A lot of the non-vegetarian ones can be vegified. I didn't specify how to do that with many because it should be fairly obvious to a vegetarian how to alter them (like use veggie broth instead of chicken broth, that kind of thing). I saw that you commented on the hummus recipe, I hope you like it!

For those of you who are vegan, I just posted a baked tofu recipe! It calls for honey but you can use maple syrup instead. It's very good either way :)

Latest posts

Back