I rescued some bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumpedbunny

Reaction score
Hi everybody I have just signed up. I rescued some bunnies. The first one is a minilop who was my first rescue back in June of this year he wasn't in the best of condition when I got him but he has since made a full recovery, I then decided to find him a friend but I ended up with two more bunnies because the previous owner didn't want them and they were going to dump them so it didn't feel right just taking one so I took them both so now I have 3 rabbits in total. I'm hoping to find the third a new home because I only have space for two and not three.

The two bunnies I got recently turned out to be 2 females possibly pregnant, luckily one is having a phantom pregnancy but the other I'm unsure about. They have been kept separate for the time being until I've got things worked out and I can get them all fixed but before then I need to wait and see whats going to happen because I may end up with a litter of babies. Its all become a bit of a mess. I may have got more than what I bargained for. I jumped in a bit to quickly and I should have opted to rescue a spayed doe for my male bunny instead.

Last edited:
You should be really proud of yourself. Yes you might feel like you jumped a bit quick… BUT you saved their lives and you are looking after them well if one has already made a full recovery. I get advice on this forum. I’m asking things that I don’t know and everyone seems really helpful. I’ve had 3 dogs in the past over the years but never rabbits. I’m having great fun with mine. Very best of luck.

Imagine having 50 bunnies at once. Lol. You would have 3000 within 60 months. Bless you. In England food and fuel have gone up so quickly people can’t afford their bunnies so I have taken to offering people a bag of bun food and hay a week to try and keep bunnies in their existing homes. Mine love grass best and that’s free thank goodness. It’s so hard.

Turn2us, RSPCA and many local small charities could maybe give a little advice if people are struggling in England.
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.aspIf anyone knows of others anywhere.
The RSPCA don't want to help anybody. When I goto them they tell me to go elsewhere. They are only interested in donations and publicity. Times have changed for the worst.

Actually a breeding pair could, in 2 years time become 286,000. Also heard a rabbit poops between 350 to 500 times a day--wouldn't want to be that college kid with a clicker having to count all of that! Your education dollars hard at work!
Nobody would be keeping anywhere near 286.000 rabbits that would be impossible. It gives you an idea of how many rabbits are out there needing homes and more in rescue shelters. Nothing will change because people have zero common sense now days. There should be a law on Pet rabbits that they all have to be spayed and neutered before a sale and to make it illegal to breed them until the numbers of pet rabbits have gone down to an acceptable level.

That's why I made it clear to anyone wanting to give up their bunny to me had to have them neutered or I would not take them. The strays from shelters cost me $300+ to get a female neutered and males were $99. Most of ours were saved from shelters as they would have been euthanized, but we spent over $5K on neutering. Luckily the last 2 we got from N Calif were already neutered and the one that came from here cost $240 to have neutered--don't have the connections with the Vets like we did and CA and it's getting really hard to find Rabbit savvy vets here now. Good thing we love ours!

Its a very sad state of affairs. Its still cheaper there than it is here. The UK used to have charities that would do it for free if your on certain welfare benefits or low income etc or low cost. Other private vets were charging as little as 30 or 40 pounds before the pandemic. Due to the crumbling state of this country services have diminished and we are now living in a society of scalpers where its more about money than the welfare of your pet.

You live and learn as they say. Yep I wont be rescuing any bunnies that are not fixed. It would be difficult to tell if a female has been spayed or not thats the only issue and people can be dishonest about things when they get desperate from trying to find a home for there bunny. Normally you could work it out for yourself like for example if there is a pair that is listed as fixed, if the buck is neutered then its likely the female has been spayed. Its still a gamble because you just never know.

I'm looking forward to seeing some baby bunnies. The Doe wont let me near her and she looks like she will be dropping babies soon. It be nice to have some little baby bunnies running about but I'm not looking forward to finding them new homes. I have a feeling its going to be a struggle.

Last edited:
I didn’t know that before the pandemic they were only £40 a shot. And yes friends of ours can’t find charities or low cost options as their household, their fuel bills are rising and Santa is just around the corner. We had our girl fixed at Darlington Pet Centre and it cost us £91, but that included a pre op check up, 2 chats on the day and take home medication for 5 days and then a final visit 2 days later. When we phoned round the prices quoted ranged from £65 to £200 for a girl and £50 to £200 for a boy, with a vet in yarm being the cheapest. The annual triple jab ranged from £35 to £100 too.

I have also noticed that the cost of (often inadequate) hutches have risen in price. £200 for some wood and chicken wire must mean a high profit margin for the pet shops. It breaks my heart to think a bun could end up in a 3ft by 1ft cage for life.

I'm sure people would let them out of the hutch for a run around. The problem is they are seen as hamsters that should be kept in a cage and never let out by inexperienced people. Surely people would do some research but sadly many just end up on sites like Pets4Homes and others alike or facebook once they discover there not the right owners for the bunnies.

Latest posts

Back