I really need some ideas.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woahlookitsme

Reaction score
My 3 month old chocolate buck Dino is in serious trouble. It all started with one of my moms polish babies. She separated them from mom to wean them and keep their weight under control. They were in a cage separated between wire. Mom noticed the broken blue wasn't eating as well if at all the day before and he was very lethargic. When she took him out he had runny stool stuck to his tail and bum. His brother continued to be okay. No mucous was noticed. She brought him inside gave him orchard grass and benebac. She had a meeting that night and was going to give him critical care. He died that night before she got back. This happened Feb20 at 5:30pm and he passed at 10:40pm. She said after weaning them and separating them she was giving them whole oats mixed in with their feed. The two polish were born 12/11/12. I'm not sure when she took them away from mom.

Now I have my baby boy Dino who is lethargic not eating and who has runny stool stuck to his bum. He was perfectly fine before as he just went to a show this past weekend (this was his third show). He was hitting three months so we separated him from his mom and sister. Could this be due to stress? I cannot loose this little guy. My mom is going to take him to the vet but I just hope it isn't too late

Last edited:
So sorry to hear you lost the other little one but I think you´re doing the right thing and getting him straight to the vet as it obviously affected your other bunny very quickly. I hope he´ll be OK, I saw your video of him and he is such an adorable little guy.

Keep us posted on his progress.

It happened within 5 hours from the time symptoms occurred to death. We don't normally deworm so I'm not sure

Dino passed I'm taking him for a necropsy

Last edited:
I'm sorry your dear buck died, it's a loss that always resonates. :hug: That being said, what you described is terrifying. PLEASE let us know the results of the necropsy. Please.

Give him banana baby food and oats! I give babies who are lacking
behind banana baby food and should help with runny poop.

I just can't believe how quick it happened. I didn't even get a chance to save him

:( I will post the results when I know

Oh Sarah! I'm so sorry about Dino! Yes, I would definitely take him for a necropsy! Thats completely insane.

How are his mom and sister? And how are the Polish that you're mom weaned the baby from? Any of the other ones acting strange? I would disinfect the cages that the polish and Dino were in and the surrounding cages.

I'm sorry. :( He was such a pretty boy!

Sarah, I´m absolutely gutted, I cán´t believe it he was such a gorgeous boy and you must be devastated.

I hope you find out what took them so quickly and take precautions just in case it might affect your others.

My thoughts are with you...binky free little boy.

Do let us know what the results of the necropsy were. I know that it is common practice to bring young animals to shows, but I cant help but wonder what the effect of being around so many strange animals all at once is on the health of an individual with a developing immune system.

Do let us know what the results of the necropsy were. I know that it is common practice to bring young animals to shows, but I cant help but wonder what the effect of being around so many strange animals all at once is on the health of an individual with a developing immune system.

I totally understand. It's hard for me to believe it was him at a show because this was his third one already. I don't know what the results could be but he is on his way and hopefully the results will come soon. . .

Thank you everyone for your support. It definitely helps so much right now.
The other babies are okay so far. We are definitely going to scrub everything and disinfect this weekend.

Last edited:
Do you know other people that were at the show or did you bring other rabbits with you? I'd check to see if anyone else got sick.

I knew a lot of the other people there. I dont know if theirs got sick. Me and my mom brought 7 other rabbits with us maybe and all are fine.

Sounds like it could be coccidiosis or mucoid enteropathy. ME is more likely due to the age of the buns and the rapid decline. I'm so sorry for your loss. It is very hard to treat this even if caught in time. It's not unheard of for mucoid enteropathy to be fatal within 12 hours.

We have had a cal baby die from ME and no mucous was found on either rabbits bum. I significantly remember finding it on the cal babies bum and in his stool. Dino nor the polish had mucous just runny poo on the bum.

We haven't dewormed anyone in a while and we are going to as soon as show season is over for our show string (deworming can often lead to a blown coat). We are definitely going to treat Sam and my moms other polish. As soon as I get the results I am going to have a consult with our rabbit vet that treated Serena for about the same thing. The only thing was that Serena stopped eating right after she had 5 healthy little babies. She didn't want to nurse them or eat herself. no runny stool but she was lethargic. We fostered the little ones off and brought her in for treatment. She started eating after two days and acting like her tan self.

Would cocci show any kind of other signs on the body? Like poor flesh condition or fur? Because Dino had neither of those and I don't think the polish did either.

Last edited:
Muciod enteropathy is caused by some of the same bacteria that cause non-mucoid enteropathy, so I guess I was generalizing too much. I meant to refer to bacterial infection of the GI tract, common in young rabbits. This sometimes comes with mucus and sometimes doesn't. It usually ends up with a clostridium infection. Cocci can be found by a fecal exam and hepatic coccidiosis could account for some of Serena's symptoms. The rest of the symptoms you describe are too general to determine exactly what the cause was without seeing a vet/having a necropsy done. I have often heard that stool from bunnies with coccidiosis smells horrible and has a distinct smell. Not having experienced this myself, I can't tell you what that means.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

Latest posts

Back