I need work advice before I go crazy...(long rant)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove89

Reaction score
Ok, so I am 24 and have been working since I was 16. I worked at a daycare for 5 years, I have been a nanny/babysitter for several families, I have worked summer camps, and I worked for a quadriplegic.
I currently am a nanny for a 5 year old boy and have watched him for a year. I love him to pieces but at times it really sucks for a few reasons:

1) I don't even make minimum wage and my overtime pay is just above minimum wage (I work several hours of overtime per week. I don't get asked, they just show up late). If I clean their house I get an additional $5-$10 per week which is so not worth it because they are slobs. They don't put food away or shut cabinets when they are done and they don't even clean their toilets, they just replace them frequently.

2) I don't get along with the mom (or the momster as I call her). She spoils the kid rotten, still wipes his butt for him, makes deals when he throws fits and most of the time lets him hit, kick, etc. When I tell her if he has had a bad day she shrugs it off and looks at me like I am lying or it's my fault.

3) They want me to take him places but most of the time I don't get paid for gas so gas comes out of my pocket as well as any food I get him when we are out.

Just the other day the quadriplegic contacted me asking if I would like to work for her again. I would start in 5 weeks. While I am waiting for more details I let the kid's parents know that there was a chance I might be switching jobs, just so they would have plenty of notice. Well the mom is being a b**ch about it. She's basically saying that I need to make a decision now and she's already looking at putting the kiddo in full-time school next week which means I would be out of work for at least a month while I waited for the other job to start. I told her that I'm not even sure I would go with that job, but she's still acting all pissed off and implying that I may lose my job for even thinking about switching. I thought I was doing the right thing by giving them the heads up, but now I am regretting it.

I am torn between the 2 jobs. Working for the quadriplegic would be more fun and less drama. She is my age and we get along well. The pay would probably be at least $3 more per hour, maybe even $5 more per hour. But I am a bit worried that I would lose the job sooner than I would the nanny job. The nanny job I would have for at least another year, longer if they get pregnant (they have been trying for awhile). With the quadriplegic, I randomly lost my job because she pulled herself out of therapy and moved away (she is moving back into town in 5 weeks). So there are pros and cons to both jobs.
I need to go with the one that is the most stable and makes more sense financially. But neither one have both the stability and the pay. I have several animals and if I lose my job I don't know how I will feed them.
Where I live now I have had really bad luck with job searching. I went over a year being unemployed and I applied for at least 2-3 jobs per day.
So currently these are my only 2 options and I really need advice.
Sorry for the long rant!

Honestly, I would go with the adult. I was a nanny for a long time too, its hard work. I had really good families though, that paid me really well. I did lose one baby to daycare though, because as it turned out they were paying me like 3 times the amount the daycare charged per week.
The last family I nannied for had two kids and I made $200 a day 5 days a week. I did have to pay for the girls to go to the skating rink/museum/food/gas. But it wasn't a big deal, thankfully they were members of a tennis club with a pool.
If you're getting paid less than minimum wage, then thats not right. You should be making at least $10 an hour.
Anyway, I cleaned house and did wash. I did all of it. But they were basically clean people. I didn't scrub toilets or anything, thats crazy. But if the mom is a piece of work, I wouldn't put up with that. Its sad when you have to leave the kids, but sometimes its just your time to move on.

If I were you, since you don't mind working with older people or disabled people; I would look into becoming a CNA. You might be able to find a job in a nursing home or at home care for kids or adults. But in a real way, where you get a real paycheck from a company. It would make sense to do it legitimately.
You could also look into SitterCity or the other websites for babysitters/nannies/home care. But I think it would look better if you had some sort of license.

I wouldn't work for people who treat me poorly though, its not worth it.

^I second getting a legitimate job with a good paycheck. Given your two choices though, I'd pick the quadriplegic lady for now. Just communicate your need for financial stability to her, and tell her you would appreciate it if she could give you a rough time period in which she can confirm your employment with her. Then you'd be able to arrange another job well in advance of her possibly leaving again.

I suggest drafting a contract when doing self-employed labour, stipulating the time of guaranteed employment, job responsibilities, expense claims and wages. So you don't get screwed over by people like your current ward's mom.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but since you mentioned you left school early could it be possible that your bad luck in landing jobs is due to not knowing how to write a good resume/CV? Your job experience should get you a FAR better deal than you have now. I really feel for you, you remind me of my younger enterprising self who just wanted work, wasn't concerned with contracts, just assumed everyone would treat me fairly, and learned my lesson the hard way.

Anyway I just want to put it out there that if you ever need help doing up a CV or drafting a contract if you decide to go with professional self-employment, PM me and I'll give you an email address. I'm a big girl in college now, so I'm good at stuff like that! I think. Haha. I won't charge for anything, I'm poor too and I know how hard it can be to get by when you're between jobs.

I think the mom is actually hoping I take the other job. Like I said, we don't see eye-to-eye and I have felt before like she was looking for an excuse to let me go. I get along well with the dad. We are on the same page with discipline and I think he likes that I don't coddle his son like his wife does.
I think the mom has been wanting to let me go, but the dad has said no. And this is a perfect excuse for her to get her way, and would explain why less than 24 hours after me saying that I MIGHT take another job she has already looked into putting her son into full-time school.

How old is the kid? Chances are the full time school will be best for him. No offense to you, but school settings are different than being at home.

Latest posts

Back