I need to transport a dog from Savannah, GA area to New Jersey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
My daughter may be moving back home (northern New Jersey)in the very near future.

She lives about a hour from Savannah, GA (Hinesville to be exact)

She rescued a pit bull mix a while ago and wants to bring her.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Driving is usually the cheapest and easiest way to bring pets (as long as they're acclimated to the car). I may be moving from basically Washington to Maryland/Carolinas area and will be driving with a dog and two rabbits. Some airlines (Delta especially) will fly pets, but there are limits on size and when they can be shipped due to the heat of the summer. They also need a vet health certificate within 10 days of travel for flying and you have to pay about $100 for them to fly below.

Make sure the dog is up to date on shots and keep the dog's vet records in her purse or the glove box of the car. Also invest in a dog seat belt (God forbid if she had an accident you wouldn't want the dog to run away at the scene). Also make sure she brings a few gallons of water. This may sound out but if a dog is used to city water and you stop at a rest area and give it well water it can sometimes cause diarrhea and that is NOT something you want to deal with in a car. Also get a doggie version of rescue remedy (I think that's the calming one but I could be wrong) or a mild tranquilizer from the vet. Just in case the dog ends up getting car sick this can help. Plan for plenty of walks and stretch stops, roll down the window part way and enjoy the trip :)

nermal71 wrote:
Make sure the dog is up to date on shots and keep the dog's vet records in her purse or the glove box of the car. Also invest in a dog seat belt (God forbid if she had an accident you wouldn't want the dog to run away at the scene). Also make sure she brings a few gallons of water. This may sound out but if a dog is used to city water and you stop at a rest area and give it well water it can sometimes cause diarrhea and that is NOT something you want to deal with in a car. Also get a doggie version of rescue remedy (I think that's the calming one but I could be wrong) or a mild tranquilizer from the vet. Just in case the dog ends up getting car sick this can help. Plan for plenty of walks and stretch stops, roll down the window part way and enjoy the trip :)
Good info!

Ditto!

Have a safe trip!

K:)

Some people also suggest taking a non toxic permanent marker and writing your cell number in the dog's ear in case it slips free and loses its collar. Not every place has facilities to check for microchips either, so it's a good precaution (for dogs or bunnies)

I'll be driving with my dog and 2 bunnies from Idaho to the east coast in a few months so I'm expecting a very long tiring drive. It's good to know that La Quinta is pet friendly!

*edited for silly grammar mistakes*

Thanks for all the input.

I should probably add some of the important details about what the situation is.

My daughter (and her dog) live about an hour from Savannah, GA.
She doesn't drive or have a car, so we have to figure a way to get the two of them up to me.
Getting my daughter here isn't a problem....plane, bus, train etc.
Transporting the dog is the issue.

For me to drive down and back would cost a bunch. Gas alone would probably be about $300.
Add another $150 for motel stops. It's 850 miles (14 hours)to get there. I'd have to stop halfway.....most likely around Richmond VA (lots of pet friendly motels there), and then stay over when I get to my daughter.
Add meals (I'm a dollar menu kinda guy, so meals wouldn't be too much).

So, if I could have the dog transported for $300-$400 that would be okay.
The dog would not necessarily need to travel along with my daughter....which opens up to some of the pet-only services.
My daughter is also eligible for military discount.

We've already got a lot of the logistics figured out, including various options and plans.

We may be able to get her rides with friends and family for about half of the way (like maybe Greensboro, NC). If that works out, I'd just drive there and pick them up.

This is all a work in progress. We're not even sure she's going to be making the trip at all.
I just want to have all my ducks in a row if it should happen.

try http://www.uship.com/ you put in what you want to ship and people amke bids and the one that is in your range you you take I was going to use this for a dog but I didn't do it the dog was deaf and I was going to give it to my son but April 2,2012 my fahter's house had a fire and my son and father died if I got the dog it could of died in the fire or it could of alerted them either way I am glad I didn't. I had talked with my sister and she said what if dad had to go to a nursing home and my son had to come live with me we don't have room for another dog this was what said first so I didn't dod it. but if you copy and paste it it is sefl explaining.

Rhayden

Latest posts

Back