I need some ideas for toys please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLover

Reaction score
Hi,
I know rabbit toys are pretty expensive. What toys do you know of that your rabbit can have around your house? Apple sticks, and pine cones are some I know of. What do you guys give your rabbit (s) for toys around your house?

toilet paper roles are one of the best and are essentially free since we all need TP anyway lol. Same with other cardboard/paper roles, and if to large just cut them down. Even cardboard drink holders can be used lol.
For items to buy, mine really liked the hay on the hanging treats but i would have to crush them with my feet otherwise she wouldn't care. She then chucks the apple sticks everywhere, so it's a 2 for 1 in my eyes as she doesn't eat the sticks.
Here are a few similar to what i get, just using Amazon for easy reference.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Organic-Rabbits-Chinchillas-Hamsters/dp/B087CJCX6B?th=1
81bsWK0KOkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This one has a lot i use. It has the fake carrot(mine liked to eat the tops off then throw it all over), the hanging treats and apple sticks, and the ball. Mine loves the wicker balls and just munches em.
https://www.amazon.com/1-Improve-Materials-Handmade-Contains-Branches-Toys-Bunny/dp/B08DY5VVKF
71kMh-c1aPL._SL1500_.jpg

If yours is a chewer there is this kind of option
https://www.amazon.com/Hamiledyi-Rabbit-Chewable-Carrot-Playpen/dp/B07JJP834Q
517bbxatqyL._AC_.jpg

You can also use the woven grass mats. Bunny love to lay on them and eat them. Good bed and treat.
https://www.amazon.com/Seaokais-15-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
71krP7MYWJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hope some of these ideas help :)

Cardboard boxes, Toilet paper rolls, Papya sticks, IQ toys (even ones for cats and dogs work great) Balsa wood blocks, Rattan Balls, and Loofah chews (If you have a dehydrator you can flavour them yourself) oh, and fun tunnels like ones that split 3 ways or more

Favorite toys for my bun were always cardboard boxes and paper bags. Next time you go to Starbucks get a paper bag. Cut the handles so your rabbits head doesn’t get stuck. Then add a treat in the bottom, like a Meadow Loop. Once your rabbit figures out the treat bag, you can try folding or crumpling the top so it’s tougher to get into.

Favorite toys for my bun were always cardboard boxes and paper bags. Next time you go to Starbucks get a paper bag. Cut the handles so your rabbits head doesn’t get stuck. Then add a treat in the bottom, like a Meadow Loop. Once your rabbit figures out the treat bag, you can try folding or crumpling the top so it’s tougher to get into.
Thats a really good idea, I will have to try that, is it okay if my rabbit eats a little bit of the paper bag

My buns love paper bags, get some safe twine (like untreated sisal) and you can get a hole puncher and punch holes in it and tie it off. My buns have mastered that and they have a lot of fun destroying it! One time I got a papertowl roll and stuffed it with brown paper and they shredded it! There's some videos on YouTube on how to make toys out of papertowl and toilet paper rolls and so far my buns have approved of them.

Rabbits are like children. They get tired of the same old toy all the time; but, we keep a rag of a cotton towel or tee-shirt in their living area. Sometimes they'll play with it.

The number one entertainment for them, however, is cardboard boxes and newspapers. Somebody asked if carboard is safe. Think of it. Grass is mostly cellulose. Wood is mostly cellulose. Paper is usually made out of wood pulp. If grass is safe then paper should be safe as long as it is not treated with chemicals.

1+ “Rabbits are like children; they get tired of the same old toys”
I’ve found it helpful to limit when they can play with a certain toy: maybe try bringing the toy out for an hour every day. Or it helps to rotate the toys. You could try switching toys every few days.
Interactive toys are good too. Some cat toys work for some rabbits. We had the stick with the rustly paper on the end and our rabbit liked to stalk it. Puzzle games, chasing a t shirt are fun too.

Paper that can be torn up is usually a big hit too. Brown paper, kind of thick, usually used as packing material, was my rabbit’s favorite. I would also occasionally give her a book. Be sure the book has no photos, tear the covers off, and it’s ready.

Thank you for all your ideas. I am going to try the paper bag. And some others. Should I watch my bun while he has the paper bag?

Be sure there are no stapes, tape, or anything bun shouldn’t ingest before giving him a bag. Be sure the handles are cut, you don’t want bun to find a way to choke himself. Then no, you don’t have to supervise.

Wish this site supported iPhone videos. I’d upload some cute videos of my bun enjoying bags and boxes.
I'd love to see videos of your buns enjoying their toys. I bought a wooden chew toy for my Dutch, because I was told he chewed a lot. He hasn't touched it. Also I made a toy from a toilet roll and he kicked it away. I'm beginning to wonder if his previous owner was making it up. Although they said he wasn't an affectionate bunny and we have found he loves cuddles any time of day.

Most people buy palm leaf bowls, but instead I get the dried leaf directly from the tree, bake-wash-dry. My 2 buns love it! Just make sure to do your research because they’re different types of palm.

I made a toy out of a toilet roll. I gave my bunny a cut up carton, I bought him a hanging chew thingy. All because his previous owner said he liked to chew and she had lots of toys for him. He is totally disinterested in all of them but loves to just chill in his little hiding spot, binky on the terrace, or cuddle up with us! She also said he didn't like to be handled!!

Also, you can grab the kraft paper bags that are in the grocery stores, I stuff them with hay and bits of dried rose, calendula, mint and dandelion for them to shred through. I tied the end of the bag with a chew safe rope- sisal and let them destroy it >.<

Just be sure that none of those paper bags are waxed, including staples or taped in any way. Prior to making the toy make sure if there's anything like that to completely remove it so it's safe to play with- just like Whiterabbitrage mentioned!

I go gathering in my neighbourhood for willow tree branches so I can tie them into balls, etc.
I also use toilet paper rolls and apple branches.. stick two sticks into two rolls in different sequences and set up an ability course you can make the sticks go like this: = x or for one stick just put them in like this: - /

You can cut a toilet paper roll into 4 rings and put them over one another to create a treat ball.

A line with herbs and greens clothe pinned to the line. The line needs to be bunny eatable just in case so I'd suggest a willow branch because they are bendable.

Latest posts

Back