I need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neri18

Reaction score
I am scheduling Pippin to get neutered soon (waiting for the vet to call back to set up a time). He's seemed a little lonely lately and I'm feeling guilty. I'm home each evening and he likes to snuggle with me at night and I always play with him, but he just seems a little sad. I was thinking about getting him a friend after he's healed and everything. He's a year old and I was thinking of getting a young female since I've heard that's generally the most successful way to bond two. I think he'd really benefit from a companion so snuggle with (he's a snuggler) and play with when I'm at work. Do you think this would be a good idea?

I think that is a great idea! Bunny's really love a companion! But of course on this site everyone will say yes!

A boy/girl pair is normally the best match. After neutered, I would take Pippin in to a local animal shelter and see if you can arrange a couple of bunny "dates." Then you will know which bunny Pippin is best with.

Just remember that sometimes it takes a long time to bond. Sometimes it only takes a week.

Megan:biggrin2:

I don't see why it's not a good idea. Provided you have funds and space to house them separately if necessary.

If you get an unspayed doe, don't let him near her until at least two months after his neuter because he can still make her pregnant.

It might be better to take him on some bunny dates to rescues and let him pick his own partner (when he is fully recovered from his neuter and most of his hormones have died), that way you might stand more chance of a bond. Also, you would mostly know what you are getting. A young doe might like Pippin when she was young, but she might hate him when she gets older because adolescence does funny things.

I would also suggest reading anything and everything you can about bonding because it's useful to be armed with knowledge before you go into something.

Good luck!

Absolutely!:D

You may want to wait just a few weeks after the neuter to give the hormones time to die down which will make bonding alot easier. You can takePippin to area shelters/rescues and he can pick out a potential mate that's hopefully already spayed;). (If you happen to get an unspayed female, you'll have to wait to bond them until around 2 months after he's neutered.)

Would you plan on getting the female spayed as well? In my experience, it's easiest to bond a neutered male and a spayed female..

However, I have an neutered male named Spank, who is bonded with an unspayed female named Savannah. It took 4 months for them to bond.. but Savannah is old enough to be spayed now, and we are going to have her spayed.

Spank does get annoyed by her sometimes - she sprays, she gets grumpy, and a lot of times, all she wants to do is mount him - and Spank is beyond past that stage.

You also have to wait atleast 8 weeks before pairing a newly neutered male with an unspayed female. So let's say that even though the male was neutered 6 weeks ago, he could still get a female pregnant.

Yeah I'd either get a spayed female or get one and have her spayed. Is there a link to different rabbit rescue sites so I could find one in my area? Also, I just called the vet and the estimate they gave me to have Pip neutered was going to be $833 total! I was speechless! Is it usually that expensive? Does anyone know of any other places in southern NH that does rabbit neuters? I really don't think I can afford that. That's a bit excessive I think for a neuter, especially compared to what I've heard other's have had to pay. Are there other places that do rabbit neuters? I really want to get it done so he doesn't get too sexually frustrated and stuff, but I'm on a limited budget.

That sounds rediculous. I'd call back and ask why.

As for the buddy, go for it, but be prepared to house them separately. I have two who I tried to bond but, in the end, they ended up fighting and I still haven't bonded them after over a year since getting the second and nearly a year since they were "unbonded"

$800? That is completely insane. They charge $280 here, and I've never heard of anything higher, and cannot believe they charge that here. I know in PA and NY States most clinics do it for about $90. Check the list of rabbit savvy Vets on this list - and call other clinics. I would look out of State if you have to, because there is NO way you should pay that much.

Besides that - getting a bunny buddy for Pippin is a GREAT idea! Like Megan said, remember sometimes bonding takes a little longer than expected but don't worry it will happen and is so worth it. I have a neutered male and spayed female that were surrendered this fall - they LOVE eachother to pieces and can't stand to be apart. :)

What I was quoted included basically all the same things as what you were told your quote included...initial exam, stool sample, bloodwork, the actual surgery, pain meds to take home. The overnight stays were free of charge from what I understood and they would only do the surgery once the animal was acclimated and relaxed and they were sure he was eating, drinking, pooping and urinating to make sure he wasn't stressed before surgery. I just think that's really excessive. I was kind of planning for something around maybe $300.

Also, I like the idea of taking Pippin to "pick out" his potential future friend. He seems pretty friendly with everyone and he'd love to make friends with our cat, but she's terrified of him and not overly friendly anyway. I found a few rescue organizations that have some young, small females that are already spayed, so whenever I manage to find a place to neuter Pip, I'll start looking into those more so when he's all healed I'll know where to look.

Does anyone know anyone who lives in the southern NH/nothern MA area (or live there themselves) who can recommend a vet? The one I called who quoted me $833 was the one that's listed here that's closest to me (Nashua Pet Care).

Even with blood work and such, it still shouldn't cost $833. It just sounds WAY over priced. I have heard that some vets will jack up the price because they want to scare off owners of certain species because they don't know enough about the certain animal :?.

This is a sign that you need to find a new vet! I paid $50 for rat neuters and $85 for bunny neuters.

That pricing is nuts! It's $90 here for a neuter and around $130 for a spay...thats, hmm, maybe $75 US and $110 US? Something like that. That doesn't inclue blood work but it does include all the pain meds etc.

Hope you can find something better priced :).

The prices you guys are listing is what I was expecting to be quoted. I still don't understand why it costs so much at this vet office. I was told that the vet is very up to date on rabbits and other exotic animals and they take excellent care of the patients. She said all the things you'd want to hear to reassure you that everything would go smoothly, and then floors you with the price. I found 2 other vets in a 15 mile radius of where I live so I'll call those tomorrow and see what they say.

This listing is from our rabbit savvy vet listings. Give this place a call and see what they charge;).

Paul Phenix, DVM
Nashua Pet Care
150 Broad St.
Nashua, NH
(603) 889-4738
Recommended by: Kathy Brown
Hours: M-F 10am-7pm
Comments: Dr. Phenix has done neuters and spays for me and has also filed tooth spurs on one of my bunnies twice. No complications or problems with any of these procedures. He found the spurs during a well-bunny check up and took care of them before the bunny ever showed a problem. He also told me about The House Rabbit Society several years ago. Very knowledgeable and up-to-date.
04/02
Need directions?

That's the one I called that wants to charge me $833. I found one listed in Derry that I'll call tomorrow, and there's one down in MA, or there's one further away in Concord, so I'll see what they say. I can see it costing that much for like a horse or something, but not a little bunny.

neri18 wrote:
That's the one I called that wants to charge me $833.
I didn't reread the whole thread, but did you call them back and ask what all charges are for? That seriously is way too high and for a neuter? What the heck do they say they charge for a spay $1500:shock::?(being sarcastic:p). I seriously want to know they're answer.

They gave me a list of all the charges and the total at the end and it seemed like everything they listed was the same things as other people mentioned they were charged for...blood, stool, pain meds, surgery, etc... I had it all written down but I threw the paper away already after deciding not to go there. I keep thinking I had to have misheard them, like maybe they said "a hundred" instead of "eight hundred," but I'm almost certain that wasn't the case, because they listed too many things and prices to add up to $130. I could always call back and check again, but the one in Derry has more convenient hours anyway.

Well I called the place in Derry and they don't do rabbit neuters, or they no longer do if they ever did. They did give me a referral and the place isn't too far away, so I'll call tomorrow and then maybe FINALLY I'll get somewhere. I never thought it would be so hard finding a rabbit vet.

Latest posts

Back