I need some advice about my new rabbit's shy behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zr0x

Reaction score
So I have this rabbit for 17 days now and this is my first time taking care of one, he's 4month old right now and well I've been worried lately about him.
I researched the things he does but to be honest I still don't feel fine so I wanted to see people's advice about this.

He lays in his cage all day and night but I have the gates open for him every day so he could free roam even leave my door open at times but he gets scared of the sound so I have to close the door to calm him down. The only time he comes out is when he wants to eat his food and does a little look around and then runs in afterward which is fine he probably scared but he'll also run back and forth in the cage. I learned that they do that because he gets no outside time but I don't how to get out of his cage for that so I had to change the cage a little bit so he'll come out at least that kind of work but I've gained his trust caused I noticed he flops a lot more lately and he lets me pet him at times, it might be like this because it been a few weeks since I got him and I know nothing about rabbit but it just worries me.

Seems like the bunny might be a little nervous or scared but this seems like normal(ish) rabbit behavior to me. Just monitor it and play with the bun some more.

Hello @Zr0x and welcome to the forum. I've edited your title to be more specific. It's recommended to have subject titles be less vague so the topic can be readily obvious.

Welcome to the world of rabbits! Some rabbits take more time than others to acclimate to their new environment. It is perfectly normal for some to take weeks.

There are, however, some steps you can take to help him out. Not knowing your setup (a photo would be helpful) I'll just speak generally. The cage is a rabbit's safe zone, their 'home,' their place where they should not be disturbed. They will venture out of that zone when and if they feel comfortable doing so. One way to encourage that is to limit the roaming space so as not to overwhelm them.

By setting up an ex-pen (or similar) around the front area of their cage, it creates a roaming space that isn't too large. This can be less scary for bunny. He'll like to be close to his cage for a fast retreat if he gets spooked.

While that pen is set-up, that is an ideal time for you to bond with him too. Just sit inside the pen area and ignore him. If he approaches you, ignore him. This way he will learn to trust you. In time, you'll start petting him.

Limiting his space initially has the added advantage of solidifying his potty habits. So long as he consistently returns to his litter box as needed (aside from occasional poos), then his space can -- in time -- be gradually increased.

By expanding his roaming area in increments, this helps him acclimate more quickly since it is less intimidating than a lot of space.

You can read more about this at my website here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

I should also ask if he is neutered. He is approaching the age when hormones kick in. Those hormones can also affect his behavior. How much it affects it will vary per individual rabbit. So don't get discouraged if his behavior turns aggressive or he starts having potty accidents. It could be that he needs neutered (if he isn't already).

I should also ask if he is neutered. He is approaching the age when hormones kick in. Those hormones can also affect his behavior. How much it affects it will vary per individual rabbit. So don't get discouraged if his behavior turns aggressive or he starts having potty accidents. It could be that he needs neutered (if he isn't already).

Thank for changing the title for me and yes he is neutered sadly I'm not able to take any picture as my phone doesn't work but the cage we got is pretty much like this one here
58b05cbf-12c8-41cb-ac0e-f7069da9d1b2.608deebe970501d94295700224b78ef1.jpeg
expected we changed it a little since I didn't know if he would feel comfortable but he is and runs up the stairs for when he needs to use the litter and such. The area I set up for him to roam is a 4x5 playpen about the size of this and it's connected to his cage for when he wants to come out on his own.
image_2021-03-07_192943.png
I don't know if the size is fine but I'll change it just in case and sitting in the pen thing I just started doing that today so I'll make sure to do it more once in a while. I forget to put in that I live with family members and they're loud at times so when he hears them and he's out of the cage he'll run but when he comes out as long as I'm quiet and don't make many sounds that'll alarm him he's willing to come out. The only area he doesn't go too far near is my door which leads out in the hallway but thank you for aging for the advice I'll make sure to use them.

Latest posts

Back