I need some advice about letting my bunny freeroam

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springflowers

Reaction score
Hi i'm renting a lionhead lop that i'm later considering keeping. He is 4 months old this week.
It's so far so good, he is extremely good at using the litterbox but some annoying behaviours in the morning.
Last morning sometime he got out of his enclosure and I found him when I woke up. He had chewed off two cables (nothing important luckily) and had been unable to get back into his enclosure which meant he hadn't eaten or anything for I dont know how long and that was not good. So he's started being very against being closed in especially in the morning when he's extremely noisy digging the carpet in his play pen and pulling at the steel mesh which means I cant sleep as he's right next to me. So i'm trying letting him freeroam in my room today and tonight and i've secured everything. I was gonna wait with letting him do that until he's neutered but i'm getting no sleep and it pains me to see him so upset with being closed up in a small space. So far him being loose in here is working well. He's a very calm bunny (except in the morning!) so he's mostly chilling.
I have some questions about letting a bunny be loose in your bedroom at night though...
1.I don't like the idea of him being in the bed with me when I sleep and he can and has jumped up there several times. He has sharp claws and i'm concerned he will bite me if I make sudden movements in my sleep and startle him or that I will roll onto him. Is that something which could happen and if so how can I prevent him from going in my bed?
2.Does it help a bunny remain less noisy in the morning if he has the whole room to himself? Often the most annoying thing he does in the morning is trying to dig out of the pen and I have to keep getting up to tell him to stop but he's also noisy jumping in and out of the cage which rattles when he jumps into it full force.
Any further advice is welcomed too.

For cords I would get some pretectors you can get them cheap at Walmart or somewhere like that. If you have anything that provides a cent he wouldn’t like and that you would like I advise spraying that on the bed or something to do with that. Ask away if you have anymore questions!

Rabbits are going to dig, regardless. It's out of genetic habit due to their European wild rabbit relatives. I tune out the digging, because if I don't I start to laugh. I can't be doing that while at work. You can create a dig box for him and hide some pellets or treats to help enrich him.

Rabbits will not bite unless they become defensive or aggressive. Which are not common things to happen for them due to their prey animal status. If they nip, like a light nip that doesn't hurt, it's a love nip and it means he loves you.

Rabbits are going to be noisy when they binky and Zoomy. There is no stopping that. Because those are good signs that your rabbit is happy.

I recommend the same as @Janellek suggested. You can find cord protectors at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon. I regret not proofing enough as my rabbit, Xiao Wu, chewed through my ethernet cable. I ended up buying steel tubing to protect my only means of employment. Er...I see you're in Europe. So Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot will not do for you. If you have a hardware store in your town, try to find cord protectors there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back