I need major help with nails....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aky

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a bunny mom 5 months ago and I have problems to clip my bunny's nails.. He won't let me do anything! I've been trying to clip his nails since the first month! I tried the bunny burrito, it doesn't work. I tried holding his hands gently, he would flinch away. I tried loafing, he would stay still but once I touch his hands, he'll run away. I tried to carry him but he will kick me to death and run back into his safety box... I tried to cut his nails with my mom, and he will always kick and break free from my mom's hold. I even tried to bring him to the vet to cut his nails but he doesn't let the vet touch him at all. We tried multiple vets too... I've been reading forums, watching videos and tried almost every method I could find but it still doesn't work! His nails are growing longer and longer and honestly I am really worried... Please help me ;-;

Sounds pretty stressful :( Have you tried giving him a treat when you try to cut his nails? Giving him a treat might calm him down.

I'd suggest following this video precisely. I've had several difficult buns. When I first watched this video, I thought "no way will this work." But I was (thankfully) wrong. Watch it over several times. Get the details...
tall table, how she pulls the rabbit in, jiggling the back foot, doing the press, press, clip thing... do it all just as she describes. It can work!

The lady in the video came up with this method when she volunteered at a rescue and had to find a way to clip those nails by herself without any help. And these were with rabbits that didn't know her.

(Treats can help with some rabbits. Mine ignored any favorite treat during nail trimming.)

I bring my bun up onto my bed, which is a comfortable place for him. I place a towel on my lap to catch any excess fur and so he won’t slide around. I spread my legs just a little so he can be placed in the crevice, however still supporting his head. Rabbits do not need to be layed fully on their back. I then snip his nails very quickly and give him lots of praise and treats afterward. I hope everything goes well!

I'd suggest following this video precisely. I've had several difficult buns. When I first watched this video, I thought "no way will this work." But I was (thankfully) wrong. Watch it over several times. Get the details...
tall table, how she pulls the rabbit in, jiggling the back foot, doing the press, press, clip thing... do it all just as she describes. It can work!

The lady in the video came up with this method when she volunteered at a rescue and had to find a way to clip those nails by herself without any help. And these were with rabbits that didn't know her.

(Treats can help with some rabbits. Mine ignored any favorite treat during nail trimming.)

I've watched this video so many times until I have lost count... I tried to do the steps but my bunny will keep moving and he won't stay still. Even if he managed to stay still with a little loafing, once I touch his paws or nails, he'll run away from me...

I bring my bun up onto my bed, which is a comfortable place for him. I place a towel on my lap to catch any excess fur and so he won’t slide around. I spread my legs just a little so he can be placed in the crevice, however still supporting his head. Rabbits do not need to be layed fully on their back. I then snip his nails very quickly and give him lots of praise and treats afterward. I hope everything goes well!
I will try to do this thank you! 😭

One of my boys is really easy to work with, i can just have someone pet him while i'm doing the trimming, but my other boy won't give me an easy time either.

He's my darker lop on the pfp, a ridiculously strong frenchie. I try to aim for the time he would have his noonly nap- chances are he will be much calmer than any time he feels more active. I will pet and massage him beforehand so he feels chill, and then i can see if he is in a cooperative mood.
Your bun is different though and may not like the way i do with Storm, but if he feels like playing along, i can kinda ''hug'' him with one arm under his torso while i find and trim the nails with my free hand. I do it flat on the floor so we both feel stable. Sometimes he will allow himself to be placed onto his side and very gently pressured to stay still. Watcing out for his huge feet and sharp teeth, i am usually able to cut some nails shorter. I follow the same proccess with his back feet, and i don't even know how i get his dewclaws.
If he's not feeling it at all, i won't force it, and will try again another day. I have found treats inaffective for him as well.

Hope that he will allow you to trim his nails eventually!

I've watched this video so many times until I have lost count... I tried to do the steps but my bunny will keep moving and he won't stay still. Even if he managed to stay still with a little loafing, once I touch his paws or nails, he'll run away from me...
Did you put him up on a tall table like they show? One that sits high enough that you can pull bunny into your belly?

Did you put him up on a tall table like they show? One that sits high enough that you can pull bunny into your belly?
I tried with the table but he keeps moving around, so I'm trying to sit on the floor with him next time 😭

One of my boys is really easy to work with, i can just have someone pet him while i'm doing the trimming, but my other boy won't give me an easy time either.

He's my darker lop on the pfp, a ridiculously strong frenchie. I try to aim for the time he would have his noonly nap- chances are he will be much calmer than any time he feels more active. I will pet and massage him beforehand so he feels chill, and then i can see if he is in a cooperative mood.
Your bun is different though and may not like the way i do with Storm, but if he feels like playing along, i can kinda ''hug'' him with one arm under his torso while i find and trim the nails with my free hand. I do it flat on the floor so we both feel stable. Sometimes he will allow himself to be placed onto his side and very gently pressured to stay still. Watcing out for his huge feet and sharp teeth, i am usually able to cut some nails shorter. I follow the same proccess with his back feet, and i don't even know how i get his dewclaws.
If he's not feeling it at all, i won't force it, and will try again another day. I have found treats inaffective for him as well.

Hope that he will allow you to trim his nails eventually!
Actually good news today! When I was cleaning the cage, my bun kind of snuggled himself into the space between my legs when I was sitting cross-legged on the floor. Eventually, I patted him a lot and tried to cut his nails. IT FINALLY WORKED. He was pretty calm about it and I did the press press clip technique too. Fortunately, I didn't cut his quick cause he has black nails and it was hard to see 😭 but finally he would let me cut his nails... Thank you all so much 😭

LoL that's how I clip my cats nails.

I got Bunbun my rabbit a little more then a year ago, I got some nail clippers for rabbits but he would not let me cut his nails, I bring him to the vet for a check up once in a while and they clip them, I am going to try and see if Bunbun will let me cut his nails now but I am not sure, Lol

Latest posts

Back