I need help with an indoor rabbit hutch I bought

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viera

Reaction score
I just bought a new hutch for my rabbit. I'll give pics to help give an idea of it. I felt it would be nicer for her. She isnt afraid of using the ramp but she has a horrible time going up it and cant grip it AT ALL. She fell once and she lost a nail on it and I feel so horrible. I just moved her back to her old cage for now. Theres room for improvement on this hutch for her to be comfy and I need some advice. I was thinking of using maybe some gripping tred like for stairs on the ramp to help her go up it. Its just too smooth for her to even go up. The flooring on it is also way too smooth and she has a horrible time walking on it and it uncomfortable. Is there some kind of fabric I use possible to help her walk on it better thats safe for bunnys?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/548354003982090250/560603344071163905/KIMG0521.JPG
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/548354003982090250/560603343500869633/KIMG0520.JPG
For the bottom of it, it will be filled with bedding for her.

Thank you for reading and any advice given or considered.  ̄(•ㅅ•) ̄

Last edited:
Honestly, I would see if I could return it. For the size of your rabbit, it is just too small. It doesn't even look like she can sit upright on the lower level. The ramp isn't needed. I would have just removed it altogether. Rabbits can hop up a level. But still, that hutch is very narrow (front to back). She wouldn't be able to lay down stretched out facing forward in there.

Sizes can be deceiving if you happened to order it online. It is a cute hutch but just isn't that great (sorry). For much less cost you could provide a roomier cage.

Have you browsed the cages members have? Here is a link to give you some ideas that could be more suitable and cost less.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/

You'll notice that there are litter boxes in our cages. That makes it much easier to clean. I would not recommend filling the bottom of a cage with bedding. That just makes a mess (more work for you) and confuses bunny as to where to potty. Here is a link on potty training if you happen to need it.

Either staple some carpet or rubber type material to the ramp, or take it out and put some steps or boxes for her to access the upper level.

For the flooring of the hutch, if your bun is absolutely perfect peeing in the litter box, you could use those foam tiles, carpet that has a very soft surface(so sore hocks don't develop) or use fleece fabric if your bun isn't inclined to want to pee on it. If your bun will pee on the floor, you want something like textured linoleum(though your bun may not like that either), or I use foam tiles that have a smooth fake wood veneer surface(easy to wipe up pee accidents). But with these you do need to caulk all of the seams where the tiles connect and at the edges, using 100% silicone caulk, so it's kind of a pain.

I would suggest not using bedding as your bun will be inclined to pee in it, plus it's likely to be messy. I would use a large enough litter box that your bun can comfortably hang out in there, using wood pellet litter topped with grass hay, and a pile of hay to eat in a non peeing corner.

You'll notice that there are litter boxes in our cages. That makes it much easier to clean. I would not recommend filling the bottom of a cage with bedding. That just makes a mess (more work for you) and confuses bunny as to where to potty. Here is a link on potty training if you happen to need it.

She wont use a litter box. I've tried for a few months now moving it around where she would go and she would just go else where and id move it again. I even tried putting her food with it to let her know to use it. She was given to me and shes a great bunny but shes like 5.

Don't give up on litter training. It is likely just a matter of having the right set up (and not having the wrong set up). The link explains some of this. For example, if there was loose bedding on the cage floor, she may not potty in her box. If she didn't like the litter you chose, she may not train. If there isn't loads of hay in or above the box, she may not train. There are lots of tips and lots of mistakes that can inadvertently prevent training.

Don't give up on litter training. It is likely just a matter of having the right set up (and not having the wrong set up). The link explains some of this. For example, if there was loose bedding on the cage floor, she may not potty in her box. If she didn't like the litter you chose, she may not train. If there isn't loads of hay in or above the box, she may not train. There are lots of tips and lots of mistakes that can inadvertently prevent training.
Ill try again. Its hard for me as well to do the big set ups with pens. I have pens for it but she pushes them and chews the carpet.

Not sure if there are cube cages on that cages link (they may be on links from prior years). The grids (from wired cube shelving) can be configured in numerous ways. Here is just one example:

upload_2019-3-27_17-46-47.png

These are super easy to put together and you wouldn't have to worry about her pushing the pen wall.

Litter training really is do-able with the right set-up. I do believe the link will help. If you have any problems after reading the link and trying it out, just ask. I've never seen a rabbit that refused to litter train (if given the right setup).

Latest posts

Back