I need help to make my rabbit to drink water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neshia

Reaction score
I have a female rabbit, named Zelda, have her for almost a year. I know the pet store give their animals water, but ever since I got her; she refuse to even sniff water. She will flip her bowl over, so I thought maybe she is drinking, it just the bowl is light because she put her paws on the edge of the bowl. I brought her a ceramic Snoopy Bowl. Then, I saw her jump on the side of it from her house! Lucky I caught the bowl before it hit the floor. I refill it with water again. And she jump on the bowl again. She don't like water. I heard the saying pet like owner, because I don't drink water neither. But I do like spring water. So maybe she like certain a type of water. I tried spring, mountain, tap, and mineral water. She didn't even try it. I look up ways to make rabbits drink water and many people say mix the water with carrots and celery. She sniff it then throw her bedding in it. My mother said, just splash water on her face, and she will lick it off. She use her paws to dry her face...... so my mother said, put her body in the water. She shake her body, use her paws to dry her face, then lay under the window in the sunlight. My mother said, nice knowing you Zelda. Like I really trying to get her to drink water. And she will steal my drinks.... soda, juice, coffee, and sport drinks.20201008_192810.jpg

If she gets fresh food she may get enough water from that. You could try giving her an extra water bowl with a small piece of apple or a tiny amount of juice added. Only do that to get her started, a few days. And never, ever splash your bunny or put her in water, that's cruel! And keep your drinks away from her.

When a rabbit spills or flips her bowls (food or water) it doesn't have anything to do with the content of the bowls. They are simply playing. Bowls are fun to flip!

For that, I'd suggest getting a bowl that twists onto a clamp. These can't be moved. (photo below)

A rabbit will drink when she's thirsty. If you feed her greens, then she is getting much moisture from those greens. How much hay does she eat? The more hay a rabbit eats, the more they will drink. She should be eating an amount of hay that is the same size as her body -- each day.

As mentioned by @ArtistChibi, never soak your rabbit. They should never be bathed (unless advised by a vet for a specific medical reason). Baths can send a rabbit into shock. Even plain water baths, if done regularly, can damage a rabbit's thin skin.

So be sure she's getting loads of hay, and provide a spill-proof bowl for water.

You can even leave her old bowl (empty) in her area to play with. She may also like those nesting cups (sold as baby toys) to toss about.

Attachments

• bowl options.jpg
    bowl options.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 3
When a rabbit spills or flips her bowls (food or water) it doesn't have anything to do with the content of the bowls. They are simply playing. Bowls are fun to flip!

For that, I'd suggest getting a bowl that twists onto a clamp. These can't be moved. (photo below)

A rabbit will drink when she's thirsty. If you feed her greens, then she is getting much moisture from those greens. How much hay does she eat? The more hay a rabbit eats, the more they will drink. She should be eating an amount of hay that is the same size as her body -- each day.

As mentioned by @ArtistChibi, never soak your rabbit. They should never be bathed (unless advised by a vet for a specific medical reason). Baths can send a rabbit into shock. Even plain water baths, if done regularly, can damage a rabbit's thin skin.

So be sure she's getting loads of hay, and provide a spill-proof bowl for water.

You can even leave her old bowl (empty) in her area to play with. She may also like those nesting cups (sold as baby toys) to toss about.
She doesn't eat hay, but she use it as her bed. She don't really like fruit, but I keep some in there because my hedgehog also live in the same pin. Zelda will eat the fruit but she prefer things like parlsy. So I spray her food with water before giving it to her

She needs to eat hay, it's very important. Try different types of grass hay until you find some she likes. Hedgehogs and rabbits should not live together in the same pen. This is the type of housing your bunny needs Indoor Housing

I have a female rabbit, named Zelda, have her for almost a year. I know the pet store give their animals water, but ever since I got her; she refuse to even sniff water. She will flip her bowl over, so I thought maybe she is drinking, it just the bowl is light because she put her paws on the edge of the bowl. I brought her a ceramic Snoopy Bowl. Then, I saw her jump on the side of it from her house! Lucky I caught the bowl before it hit the floor. I refill it with water again. And she jump on the bowl again. She don't like water. I heard the saying pet like owner, because I don't drink water neither. But I do like spring water. So maybe she like certain a type of water. I tried spring, mountain, tap, and mineral water. She didn't even try it. I look up ways to make rabbits drink water and many people say mix the water with carrots and celery. She sniff it then throw her bedding in it. My mother said, just splash water on her face, and she will lick it off. She use her paws to dry her face...... so my mother said, put her body in the water. She shake her body, use her paws to dry her face, then lay under the window in the sunlight. My mother said, nice knowing you Zelda. Like I really trying to get her to drink water. And she will steal my drinks.... soda, juice, coffee, and sport drinks.View attachment 53790
She's pretty! Can you picture her in her normal environment so we can see all setup where she lives, her bowls, toilet etc.

Can you describe in details what she ate/drunk over the past 48 hours and what she was offered, with times when. Including what fruit/vegetables/greens.

How much fresh food, greens/veg/fruit does she get daily.

What rabbit pellets you feed her (if any). What brand, ingredients and quantity per 24 hours.

What hay you feed her. As you said she only uses as her bed but maybe she nibbles on it a little bit?
I have one girl she eats very little hay and saves hay for making her bed, I give her hay more often during the day in very small portions and stuff her toys with hay, and make braids or knots of hay because she likes puzzles and has more interest in hay then.

Can you take a pic of her water bowl. With a risk of being banned again I will ask, have you ever tried offer her a drinking bottle as an alternative to bowl? You've mentioned that she has interest in your drinks soda coffee sport drinks etc, does she drink them from a bottle or your cup? Ever tried to replace your drinks with water?

Can you take a pic of her poos, are they good size or very small and dry.

She's pretty! Can you picture her in her normal environment so we can see all setup where she lives, her bowls, toilet etc.

Can you describe in details what she ate/drunk over the past 48 hours and what she was offered, with times when. Including what fruit/vegetables/greens.

How much fresh food, greens/veg/fruit does she get daily.

What rabbit pellets you feed her (if any). What brand, ingredients and quantity per 24 hours.

What hay you feed her. As you said she only uses as her bed but maybe she nibbles on it a little bit?
I have one girl she eats very little hay and saves hay for making her bed, I give her hay more often during the day in very small portions and stuff her toys with hay, and make braids or knots of hay because she likes puzzles and has more interest in hay then.

Can you take a pic of her water bowl. With a risk of being banned again I will ask, have you ever tried offer her a drinking bottle as an alternative to bowl? You've mentioned that she has interest in your drinks soda coffee sport drinks etc, does she drink them from a bottle or your cup? Ever tried to replace your drinks with water?

Can you take a pic of her poos, are they good size or very small and dry.
Unfortunately, I missed up my camera, that picture that I show was few weeks after I got her. She was still a baby so I like to take pictures of my animals when they young. I know what housing rabbit's need, but I hate to keep my animal lock up. I do have a Iizard, but I keep it house decorated so when I look at it, it don't seem lock up. But when I ltook at my rabbit cage now break my heart. I did keep her in a playpen for Guinea pigs. Not really tall. It was really for my hedgehog when she needed to place to sleep, otherwise she can climb over it. Zelda can easily jump over it. I let them both just run around my room. But after 4weeks Zelda started chewing on my cords. I brought a pre-lit chirstmas tree, extra lights, and red ornaments. She love it. She be inside the tree, or running around it. I keep it on all night, or I did till she chew on the cord. Scared me when I came from work and noticed my room was darker than usual. I turn on my lights to see her lying down near the tree the cord chew to pieces. She wasn't moving when I yelled at her. Total 300watts... she shock herself.... now I don't keep things plug into the wall anymore. I started to put her into a outside dog playpen ever since she chew up my Nintendo switch charger and spill over my latte. I never did care if animal use the bathroom on my bed, it happens to anyone who own a pet, but stealing my sheets off my bed is something else.
But her poop is tiny, size of a lizards eye. And how she drinks my drink surprise me. She will tilt over my drink, good thing I kept lids on all my drinks, pull out my straw and drink from the lid. And if the drink low, she will found a way to take off the lid. I watch her jump from my bed on my cup just to steal my root beer soda.

Unfortunately, I missed up my camera, that picture that I show was few weeks after I got her. She was still a baby so I like to take pictures of my animals when they young. I know what housing rabbit's need, but I hate to keep my animal lock up. I do have a Iizard, but I keep it house decorated so when I look at it, it don't seem lock up. But when I ltook at my rabbit cage now break my heart. I did keep her in a playpen for Guinea pigs. Not really tall. It was really for my hedgehog when she needed to place to sleep, otherwise she can climb over it. Zelda can easily jump over it. I let them both just run around my room. But after 4weeks Zelda started chewing on my cords. I brought a pre-lit chirstmas tree, extra lights, and red ornaments. She love it. She be inside the tree, or running around it. I keep it on all night, or I did till she chew on the cord. Scared me when I came from work and noticed my room was darker than usual. I turn on my lights to see her lying down near the tree the cord chew to pieces. She wasn't moving when I yelled at her. Total 300watts... she shock herself.... now I don't keep things plug into the wall anymore. I started to put her into a outside dog playpen ever since she chew up my Nintendo switch charger and spill over my latte. I never did care if animal use the bathroom on my bed, it happens to anyone who own a pet, but stealing my sheets off my bed is something else.
But her poop is tiny, size of a lizards eye. And how she drinks my drink surprise me. She will tilt over my drink, good thing I kept lids on all my drinks, pull out my straw and drink from the lid. And if the drink low, she will found a way to take off the lid. I watch her jump from my bed on my cup just to steal my root beer soda.
Hi. It is still not clear for me what she eats and if she has access to water, maybe she is thirsty so trying to drink from your cup.
Tiny poos are no good at all, sounds like she is dehydrated and maybe doesn't get proper food/hay either, and she doesn't have her own space as well. Why would she pee on your bed? Does she have a toilet box at all?

I get you have a lizard and a hedgehog in your room/apartment/house and they all are free roamed. How do you clean after all of them and if there's water source you keep for your lizard and hedgehog maybe she drinks from it when you don't see it?

She don't use my bed, well not anymore. When she was out, she be pooping on my covers. But the food I give her is Organic adult rabbit food I get from petstore. Mix with carrots, hay, corn, and grains. And I also give her vegetables from Walmart which I am going to stop getting food for my animals there. I will also give her table scraps if she good. Eggs, pasta, sweet buns, or cooked yellow pepper. I keep a decent size heavy cremic bowl for water. No she don't have her own space, mostly not between 11pm-2am.
My hedgehog sleep behind my dresser during the day and at night she go in the pin to eat, drink, or use the bathroom. She only be in there for a good 10mins. Then she climb out and run around in the room.
I think Zelda wants to be free to roam the room with my hedgehog, but I don't use her be chewing on my cords. But I do take her on a walk in my yard from time to time. Lately I hasn't tho.... there a bobcat that always in the yard. Already killed one of my mother's duck.Screenshot_20210312-080644_Google.jpg

I give her is Organic adult rabbit food I get from petstore. Mix with carrots, hay, corn, and grains. And I also give her vegetables from Walmart which I am going to stop getting food for my animals there. I will also give her table scraps if she good. Eggs, pasta, sweet buns, or cooked yellow pepper.
Food you describe is very unsuitable for a rabbit, especially when she has tiny poos like lizard eye.

No corn, no grain, carrots only very small amount (1 inch of carrot once or twice a week, no more)
No eggs, pasta, cooked foods!
She needs hay unlimited and water unlimited, while she has gut problems as you described her poos I would stop feeding that 'organic rabbit food' at all, she needs proper diet and when she eats normal hay she will drink water. Now if you feed wet foods from your table like pasta, eggs, cooked peppers she gets fluids from it. This is completely unsuitable for a rabbit to feed what you feed now, please get her hay and stop feeding scraps, give her her own place with hay, toilet and water, after her poos improve you can give a few tablespoons of rabbit food per day, but not containing grain, corn and carrots. You need rabbit food with min 19% fibre and max 13% protein and less than 1% calcium. This is very serious and her poos are tiny because she is having gut problems and you need to take action right now or she can die.

Food you describe is very unsuitable for a rabbit, especially when she has tiny poos like lizard eye.

No corn, no grain, carrots only very small amount (1 inch of carrot once or twice a week, no more)
No eggs, pasta, cooked foods!
She needs hay unlimited and water unlimited, while she has gut problems as you described her poos I would stop feeding that 'organic rabbit food' at all, she needs proper diet and when she eats normal hay she will drink water. Now if you feed wet foods from your table like pasta, eggs, cooked peppers she gets fluids from it. This is completely unsuitable for a rabbit to feed what you feed now, please get her hay and stop feeding scraps, give her her own place with hay, toilet and water, after her poos improve you can give a few tablespoons of rabbit food per day, but not containing grain, corn and carrots. You need rabbit food with min 19% fibre and max 13% protein and less than 1% calcium. This is very serious and her poos are tiny because she is having gut problems and you need to take action right now or she can die.
I change her area and started giving different food, and my new came in so here some pictures
16157484633217522723822624590250.jpg16157484810746112662009017260275.jpg16157485109556194801056539825432.jpg

That food is no good. It has to be plain pellets. If you're in the US, Oxbow is a good brand. Don't give fruit and peppers - too much sugar. They needs lots and lots of hay and very little else.

The hulls of corn kernels cannot be digested by rabbits. They can cause a gut blockage which would begin to reveal itself with smaller poops. I know it seems crazy that such a dangerous food is put in a mix that is supposed to be made for rabbits. Unfortunately, it's just what marketers do.

Based on your photos, the following suggestions would be good:

1. Switch to a healthy pellet brand. You'll need to mix the new pellets with the old to get her used to them. In the meantime, when you put her old food in the bowl, pick out any and all colorful bits (corn, etc.) before they cause more damage.

2. Limit the amount of pellets. Since she's used to having so much, reduce gradually. Offer no more than 1/2 cup of pellets (probably one quarter of what is shown in the photos). She likely has not been eating hay because she's getting fed waaaayyy too many pellets.

3. Remove all fruit and all peppers. One single slice of apple is the max allowed for one day. (Always remove seeds from apples. They are poisonous to animals and humans.)

4. Buy some grass hay (timothy, bermuda, oat... anything other than alfalfa).

5. Find a plastic tub to use for a litter box. You can use the shavings you have (for now) to put inside and then top it with that hay. Add more hay every day (whether or not she has eaten it). Eventually you may want to switch to wood pellets instead of shavings. They are more absorbent and less messy.

6. Remove all the loose shavings that cover the cage floor. That isn't necessary. What is underneath the shavings? A cheap piece of fleece could be put down instead.

If you'd like some more detail on what brands of pellets are healthy, or how to set up a litter box, or what treats are healthy, etc. you can check the following links.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.htmlhttps://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/treats.htmlhttps://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.htmlhttps://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/setting-up-a-cage.html

There nothing under the shavings, I use to put plastic but I notice she digs under the shavings and chew the plastic away to lay on the cool floor. I do live in Florida so I understand why she do it but at night it pretty chilly so I have a heat lamp

I can see, from your images, as to why. What toys do you have for her? In your pictures, I don't see any toys in her enclosure. Rabbits need enrichment. Shen actually became destructive with his toys, which was my intention, and he hasn't gone after my headset cords, the enclosure barrier, or my walls. Not even the puzzle mats and fleece I have down for him. Because he has toys that handle his chewing (chew sticks made from apple wood sticks), willow balls, stack cups, even basic toilet paper rolls filled with his hay.
Part of a rabbit becoming destructive is not enough stimulation to their playful needs. Giving them something they can destroy happily, or push around, or carry around for fun is one way of doing it.

I did gave her a ball and apple sticks but she just buried it. She prefer chewing on stuff like metal bar but I didn't like her doing that. I gave her foam to chew on

Latest posts

Back