I need help please (Aggressive)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having trouble with my rabbit, Bean. Ever since he was little he’s grunted, lunged, occasionally nipped, and charges at everyone. I’m not sure what to do anymore because ifs getting old not being able to walk into my room without wondering what he’s going to do. I will say there are moments where he wants attention and he nudges me to pet him. Those are far and few in between. I’m at the point where I’m ready to re-home him. He was born December, 2018 and I had him neutered May, 2019. Even before and after being neutered this is how he was acting. I would really appreciate help and advice please. He free roams my room and he eats everything :rolleyes: I have it all bunny proofed, but that doesn’t stop him.

0BC35495-F40B-4F3D-990D-FD9660E03661.jpeg 72E8CEB8-C41D-45B1-82CC-8324EEB18A0A.jpeg DB983767-B76D-4388-8B82-9D00141238AB.jpeg 774E7241-0042-4BDC-AB81-5100D81828EE.jpeg

Maybe everytime you walk into the room he gets a treat (pellets in your pocket) . Just to make him happy and also distract him. Myself have used to always carry pellets on me when I was interacting with my scared and aggressive buck, and also for my dominant nipping and grunting doe. You just reward the behaviors you like and the behaviors you don’t like will be no rewards. You can use a clicker to train the bunny.

Don’t know if it’s guarding his place, feeling insecure or that he’s a dominant type. If he nips or lungs try to let out a high pitch sound.

If it’s because of guarding and insecure, I would let him be and try to bond. Guarding because of a dominant boy, you can push him away and ignore him if he greet you wrong and say no.

All of @Hermelin ideas are great and will work. Bare in mind it’ll take some time. Some rabbit take a few weeks. Some take months, some take years!
My bunny took about 3 months and a lot of bites!
It may also be that he’s protecting his territory. Maybe take him into another room (that he’s never been in) and try to bond with him there. Read a book and watch a movies, especially pay him no attention. If he comes near you give him a treat (pellets work well!)
You can do that a few times until he warms up a little
Good luck

I’ve had him for a year now. He’s always been like this. I’ve tried the high pitched noise, I give him treats when he behaves, and he’s currently in a new room while I’m painting mine and he’s even worse with this. He’s very dominant and protective of everything. I push him away when he’s being mean and does this as well. I’m honestly at a loss at this point. I feel like there isn’t any changing that he would do.

If you walk into the room don't touch him, talk to him, etc. until he calms down and eventually ignores you. Here is a link on bonding with your rabbit: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
This may be wild, but bonding him with another rabbit may help. If you get a spayed female from a rescue and do bunny bonding so that he chooses her it might work and help him. Here is a link on bonding, and a video on bonding:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

It can also be that he just don’t fit as an indoor bunny or the space it’s too small. Even though you might think it’s huge for a bunny.

A friend might help him but it can also make him guard towards people more. So it can backfire.

It might take a longer time to train him but it’s up to you how you want to deal with your stubborn bossy bun. Maybe that just his personality. Quite hard to say, when I’m not the one handling the bunny.

I hope everything goes well with your boy. I know how hard larger bunnies can nip and the bruises you can get.

My 13 pound girl always nipped me and left huge bruises on my arms and legs. But she stopped later on after training her. Now, I just have to read the signals when she might be triggered to nip and be a bossy girl. I know her signals when she’s in a bad mood and can be quite bossy. She have only destroyed one shoe when she truly did a real bite [emoji28]

So large bunnies know how to bite hard .

Latest posts

Back