I need help figured out what my rabbit passed away from

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out of this world bunnies

Reaction score
before i start please bare in mind i am still grieving 6 months later and am suffering extreme trauma after watching him die. on January 2nd my NZ rabbit comet started acting funny, when i opened his hutch to feed him i saw his entire top tray was filled with orange urine. I immediately started sobbing i knew something was off and i quickly brought him to my parents to show them what was up, he was flopping over no matter what position we tried. after an hour of trying to see what was wrong my mom noticed his nose was sealed up with dried snot (he has had issues with runny noses in the past but never this bad) we got a hot wet rag and had to pull his nose apart from his upper lip with our hands, after this i stayed up with him til 1 am when i realized he would make it through the night. for the next four days he wouldn't eat, but he would drink, i tried unsweetened apple sauce, oranges, and his favorite dandelion. he would have diarrhea. i stayed up late and eventually we figured out that we could steam his nose to help it come undone and he came close to dying twice while i wasn't home. one night i returned home and noticed his nose was stuck together very bad this time. i brought him into the kitchen to make it easier to steam his nose and began the process of heating the water and comforting him, once the water was heated i began to steam his nose and got it unstuck, but i guess i wasn't quick enough. i am sorry if the last part is unnecessary i am also kinda using this to vent to help me get over his death.. another bunny i had who was his neighbor to his hutch passed away unexpectedly several months before and i wonder if he spread a sickness to him, Mr. Atlas didn't show any strange symptoms before his passing though. Please help me figure out what killed my baby(ies).

It could have been a respiratory infection, if his was snotty. The term is usually called, "snuffles." I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope he is binkying around over the rainbow bridge! I'm not sure if it could have been a parasite or a virus, but I'm terribly sorry that you had to go through that.

I'm sure others will have answers as well, and I'm not a vet, but I wish this helps in some way.

It could have been a respiratory infection, if his was snotty. The term is usually called, "snuffles." I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope he is binkying around over the rainbow bridge! I'm not sure if it could have been a parasite or a virus, but I'm terribly sorry that you had to go through that.

I'm sure others will have answers as well, and I'm not a vet, but I wish this helps in some way.
thank you. i have considered snuffles before but didn't think it lined up with other symptoms. thank you for you help and your good wishes.

No problem, and if snuffles didn't fit, you could call a vet and ask them if you choose! Take care.

thank you. i have considered snuffles before but didn't think it lined up with other symptoms. thank you for you help and your good wishes.
Mine recently passed with no indication of illness but my others have snuffles so we think it might have been that.

My oldest has discharge from his nose and eyes as he has it the worst. The rest of them just showed signs of personality change. The one who passed did not have any symptoms and nor did her partner. Yet, we have still put them on medication since snuffles is so contagious in bunnies.

I guess what I’m saying is that it could have been snuffles but a minor case mixed with GI Stasis, which would result badly. But I am not a vet, I just have snuffles experience I guess. Good luck finding out what is was 💕

Mine recently passed with no indication of illness but my others have snuffles so we think it might have been that.

My oldest has discharge from his nose and eyes as he has it the worst. The rest of them just showed signs of personality change. The one who passed did not have any symptoms and nor did her partner. Yet, we have still put them on medication since snuffles is so contagious in bunnies.

I guess what I’m saying is that it could have been snuffles but a minor case mixed with GI Stasis, which would result badly. But I am not a vet, I just have snuffles experience I guess. Good luck finding out what is was 💕
i never thought about it being both, thank you for your time and help!

Latest posts

Back