I need bonding advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZipercooDe

Reaction score
Hello! I need a little bonding advice. I have a 3 years old female rabbit named Floppy. She had a baby and spent a few months with him, and then we gave him away and had her neutered. She’s been a free roam bunny ever since.
Two months ago we got a new rabbit, Blueberry, a 10 months male, not yet neutered. Since Floppy is free roam and I only have one room for bunnies, I had to put Blueberry’s cage in the same room, with a fence around it. I tried to stress bond them a few times in the bathtub and the first 2-3 went well but then Floppy was trying to jump out of it every time. Then we tried making a small pen, but she would move the bars and destroy the whole thing. We tried in a box a few times but even in air she’s trying to jump. So we gave up and let them know each other through the fence, changing their space a few times a day, letting Blueberry free. A few weeks ago we tried to just let them both free and it worked well. Now they are both free while we’re awake and Blueberry is in his pen while we’re asleep.
The problem here it’s Floppy. She seems to be wanting his attention, but she also nips him, especially when he doesn’t give her attention. Now there’s some tension between them and Bluberry runs when Floppy is too close to him. They are ok with each other when we feed them and when we pet each them nose to nose.
How can i release this tension? I know I have to get him spayed but it’s quite hard now with the lockdown. How can I stop Floppy from nipping him? She nip above the eye and butt. Sometimes she nips a few times before he runs (she doesn’t hurt him though, i have not seen any wounds on him).

I would not do any bonding before you get him neutered. To stop her from nipping you can spray her with a spray bottle every time she does. Here is a link and video on bonding: Bonding Bunnies

Hi. So Floppy is a girl 3 years old and spayed more than 2 months ago, Blueberry is a boy 10 months old not neutered. That's great that they get along I just surprised he doesn't hump her since he's not neutered?

I have also adopted a fixed female 1 year old and my boy was 8 months old, he's intact, they bonded nicely and quickly they are both very friendly both lionhead/lop mixes but she looks like lionhead with lop ears and he's like a mini lop. Only problem was that he started spraying her and it was horrible first 4 weeks it was a nightmare but after that he stopped spraying, so now they are fine they are 3 months together and settled I plan on neutering him but also not clear when. He's one year old in a couple weeks and very sweet and good temperament, I wanted a friend for him but didn't expect he will start spraying so badly, thankfully they settled after 4-6 weeks. Maybe your rabbits just need a bit more time to sort out their dominance, as I said I am really surprised that you never mentioned any humping/spraying since he's still intact, how long they are together now? Can you post some pics perhaps? What breeds are they?

Hi. So Floppy is a girl 3 years old and spayed more than 2 months ago, Blueberry is a boy 10 months old not neutered. That's great that they get along I just surprised he doesn't hump her since he's not neutered?

I have also adopted a fixed female 1 year old and my boy was 8 months old, he's intact, they bonded nicely and quickly they are both very friendly both lionhead/lop mixes but she looks like lionhead with lop ears and he's like a mini lop. Only problem was that he started spraying her and it was horrible first 4 weeks it was a nightmare but after that he stopped spraying, so now they are fine they are 3 months together and settled I plan on neutering him but also not clear when. He's one year old in a couple weeks and very sweet and good temperament, I wanted a friend for him but didn't expect he will start spraying so badly, thankfully they settled after 4-6 weeks. Maybe your rabbits just need a bit more time to sort out their dominance, as I said I am really surprised that you never mentioned any humping/spraying since he's still intact, how long they are together now? Can you post some pics perhaps? What breeds are they?

Blueberry is a german dwarf lop and Floppy i think is a lionhead. He is very chill, no nipping, no mounting, just a bit scared of Floppy. Just now they interacted and stayed nose to nose for a few minutes before Blueberry ran. Like I said, a lot of times they stay like this and than Floppy tries to nip him a little, that’s mostly the issue. Sometimes i think she’s trying to nip-groom him if that would be a thing? She always looks confused after Bluberry runs. 😓

Latest posts

Back