I need advice on my next dwarf bunny, are Single Mane Lionheads extinct?!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25471

Lionel and Murphy
Reaction score
This is a bit wordy, but I would REALLY like some help. I recently lost my Single Mane Lionhead of 10 yrs. DEVASTATING. We had him euthanized at the Vets advise ...so so hard. Even though he acted his usual sweet, loving and curious self the day he was injected - she said it was the humane thing to do to avoid a painful death in the following days. Just thought I'd get that out of the way first..... I am serious about opening my home to 2 new little bunnies. Since it appears I need to choose ahead and put a nonrefundable deposit on my next bunnies AND likely have to TRAVEL to pick them up - I want to be sure of what I choose. I don’t need advice about bonding or any of that – I am very well informed on all that. I have a great vet and both will be neutered! My dilemna lies in that I am not able to find any SINGLE mane buns - only doubles, cuz obviously most breeders do so for show and only HAVE double mane to start. And I know double/double results in double. The reasoning behind wanting the SINGLE is I LOVE the mane and little “foof” around his butt and his personality was as BIG as a lion….His size 3.2lb was perfect – not too small, not too big for us. In comparison to my daughters she got 5 yrs ago at a pet store … he was labeled a “double mane Lionhead” … and he does kind of look like one (but much more a hot mess than what I see online) when you pick him up he is like a dandelion going to seed and no one wants to handle him b/c you instantly hair in every orifice of your face and clothes. Maybe he’s a mix? he’s 5.2lb, shaded coloring and 2-3" of hair everywhere and a minimal saddle on his back. My new little guys will have the run of the house when they are ready and will get handled a lot assuming they allow it. My husband and I always said our next bun will NOT be like the dandelion that our daughters is. Is that what a purebred double is like? Our single was PERFECT and ideally, I would like another SINGLE mane . I do not need papers, I am not showing – though I would like to go through a breeder for obvious reason. I have seen “Lionlops” – what are the dominant genes in those? Can it have a mane? At what age do you know how the ears will end up? I didn’t know it would be so HARD to find a SINGLE mane. My plan all along was a Single Mane Lion Head and a Holland Lop to neuter and then bond and hopefully have for the NEXT 10 years !!

Hello!
I'm so sorry about your sweet bun. Its very hard to have to put them down, but it sounds like you made the right call to keep him happy and free from pain. Many hugs to you!
I actually recently (about a month ago) rescued a single maned black Lionhead buck from someone who was just giving him away. I didn't want him to go to a bad home, so I took him in and am actually currently looking for a home for him. He's a big sweetie, too bad you're all the way in NY! :(
But to answer your questions, single maned Lionheads are MUCH harder to find than doubles (as you've found out) and I'm guessing, as I've never gotten into the Lionheads before (so much fur!) is because genetic-wise you get more double manes, and I honestly believe that the breeders prefer double manes, because they look nicer. I would recommend contacting Lionhead breeders (if you're going to get a breeder rabbit) and asking about single manes they might have. A trip to the animal shelter might help you find a single mane as well. I do personally agree with you on the single maned, I love how they look, and they're easier to groom! But for you, my advice is to call breeders and ask, many times they won't have ALL the buns they're selling up on their sites or ads. And, if they know there is an interest in a bun they maybe weren't planning on selling, chances are they would be willing to part with them, especially if they knew the buns would be going to a good home.
I wish you luck! Keep us updated on your new future buns!

Hello!
I'm so sorry about your sweet bun. Its very hard to have to put them down, but it sounds like you made the right call to keep him happy and free from pain. Many hugs to you!
I actually recently (about a month ago) rescued a single maned black Lionhead buck from someone who was just giving him away. I didn't want him to go to a bad home, so I took him in and am actually currently looking for a home for him. He's a big sweetie, too bad you're all the way in NY! :(
But to answer your questions, single maned Lionheads are MUCH harder to find than doubles (as you've found out) and I'm guessing, as I've never gotten into the Lionheads before (so much fur!) is because genetic-wise you get more double manes, and I honestly believe that the breeders prefer double manes, because they look nicer. I would recommend contacting Lionhead breeders (if you're going to get a breeder rabbit) and asking about single manes they might have. A trip to the animal shelter might help you find a single mane as well. I do personally agree with you on the single maned, I love how they look, and they're easier to groom! But for you, my advice is to call breeders and ask, many times they won't have ALL the buns they're selling up on their sites or ads. And, if they know there is an interest in a bun they maybe weren't planning on selling, chances are they would be willing to part with them, especially if they knew the buns would be going to a good home.
I wish you luck! Keep us updated on your new future buns!
Not sure if I am replying correctly - I apologize if this gets messed up. Yes, I have contacted breeders.....all but one - and I'm hoping she comes through for me - only HAS doubles to breed. I don't know why the singles don't make the shows - they are ADORABLE - their mane and skirt really make a statement - since the rest of the hair is shorter.

Not sure if I am replying correctly - I apologize if this gets messed up. Yes, I have contacted breeders.....all but one - and I'm hoping she comes through for me - only HAS doubles to breed. I don't know why the singles don't make the shows - they are ADORABLE - their mane and skirt really make a statement - since the rest of the hair is shorter.
I agree, I love the singles. Hm, I'm not sure what else to do as for finding single maned. You could also ask the breeders if they know any other breeders who might have some singles? Rabbit rescues probably have some single maned, but it sounds like you are looking for a reputable breeder that has them. You could also check on some classified sites, like Craigslist, I know sometimes a breeder will post on those...
I hope this last breeder pulls through for you as well!

Where I live it’s the Single Manes that are Pedigree. Here Double manes are not desirable. I think it just depends on the state.

Everywhere in the US, double manes are technically ideal for showing.
However sometimes there is overlap between double and single mane appearance; thick single mane rabbits can look the same as thin double mane rabbits. The only sure way to tell them apart is when they're very young, as double manes will have bald patches on their sides. Single manes still exist but mostly in pet lines (which often come with other health problems). A double maned lionhead crossed to anything else will have single-maned babies. Lionlops aren't a recognized breed in the US; but a lot of the lionlops being sold for pets in the US are crosses between lionheads and holland lops which are likely single maned.

Everywhere in the US, double manes are technically ideal for showing.
However sometimes there is overlap between double and single mane appearance; thick single mane rabbits can look the same as thin double mane rabbits. The only sure way to tell them apart is when they're very young, as double manes will have bald patches on their sides. Single manes still exist but mostly in pet lines (which often come with other health problems). A double maned lionhead crossed to anything else will have single-maned babies. Lionlops aren't a recognized breed in the US; but a lot of the lionlops being sold for pets in the US are crosses between lionheads and holland lops which are likely single maned.
THANK you for the clarification. I think if I want a SINGLE - I will need to consider a cross from a breeder. I did get my first Single from a Pet Store - but that was 10 yrs ago - I'm sure I got a little lucky on him... he was healthy and happy until the end. . I really want a Single (for pet)... I am willing to pay the show bunny price - its so hard to find - though I have am waiting on one breeder now - hoping they come thru for me.

We rescued a rabbit that had been dumped by an owner onto the river parkway here and somehow had survived the winter. I got her at the end of March, and she gave birth on Easter to 11 babies. She isn't a Lionhead, vet called her a Netherland Dwarf, but she doesn't look like dwarf pics I've seen posted here. Six of the babies survived - three double Lionheads, one single Lionhead, and two that look like mom, all short hair. I read that there are no-mane Lionheads, so I guess mom and the two that look like her could be no-mane Lionheads, because they all look very similar in coloration and body shape. We later also adopted a male who had been captured at the same spot a week prior to mama bunny, and he's a single Lionhead who is bonded with mama and I believe might be daddy to the litter. Attached are pictures of mama with the babies and of Luna, the single-maned Lionhead.Naptime.jpg Luna.jpg

We rescued a rabbit that had been dumped by an owner onto the river parkway here and somehow had survived the winter. I got her at the end of March, and she gave birth on Easter to 11 babies. She isn't a Lionhead, vet called her a Netherland Dwarf, but she doesn't look like dwarf pics I've seen posted here. Six of the babies survived - three double Lionheads, one single Lionhead, and two that look like mom, all short hair. I read that there are no-mane Lionheads, so I guess mom and the two that look like her could be no-mane Lionheads, because they all look very similar in coloration and body shape. We later also adopted a male who had been captured at the same spot a week prior to mama bunny, and he's a single Lionhead who is bonded with mama and I believe might be daddy to the litter. Attached are pictures of mama with the babies and of Luna, the single-maned Lionhead.View attachment 39435 View attachment 39436
Awwwh - She is SO lucky that someone like you saw her and rescued her. Yes, they are quite the little assortment .... Kudos to you !!

We rescued a rabbit that had been dumped by an owner onto the river parkway here and somehow had survived the winter. I got her at the end of March, and she gave birth on Easter to 11 babies. She isn't a Lionhead, vet called her a Netherland Dwarf, but she doesn't look like dwarf pics I've seen posted here. Six of the babies survived - three double Lionheads, one single Lionhead, and two that look like mom, all short hair. I read that there are no-mane Lionheads, so I guess mom and the two that look like her could be no-mane Lionheads, because they all look very similar in coloration and body shape. We later also adopted a male who had been captured at the same spot a week prior to mama bunny, and he's a single Lionhead who is bonded with mama and I believe might be daddy to the litter. Attached are pictures of mama with the babies and of Luna, the single-maned Lionhead.View attachment 39435 View attachment 39436
If she was a Netherland dwarf she wouldn't have had 11 babies and I would say she is at least half lionhead, because it takes two lionhead genes to get a double mane.

Latest posts

Back