i need a litter that doesnt smell of urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi all

i got in touch wth my supplier of woody pet and it was going to cost to much money for the carrage charge

so i am after a litter that can control the smell of urine

any help would be great

i live in the uk

varna xxxx

I like Care Fresh or Critter Care (from Walmart). I actually use that in my guinea pig cage.

i now use Woody Pet (thanks JimD! :)) but beforethat I have used carefresh and yesterdays news...I think they both workwonderful, but they are just a tad pricey. They both cost around thesame price as eachother. Whatever you do, dont buy the stuffcalled critter litter ..its makes a disgusting nasty mess to clean up!

Have you considered the supplement that you addto a rabbit's water that is supposed to control urine odor?I've seen it at PETsMART near the ferret and rabbit merchandise...?

I use wood pellets that are used in Pellet Stoves. Here's a web site in the UK

http://www.fireplace.co.uk/pellet.htm

And it seems there are alot more - perhaps you have a place that sellswood/pellet stoves near you? They would carry the pellet fuel, also.

I use 'Stove Chow' because it does not have a fire excellerant in it.Most pellets do not have it - but I have seen some brands that do. Itis clearly marked on the label if it does. It's made from justcompressed wood.

It is very much like Woody Pet, and is very inexpensive. I get 40 pounds for $4.75
I've been using it for years now. It absorbs well and control the odor.

I use a horse stall bedding made of compressedwood pellets from Southern States. It is very absorbent andcontrols oder too. 30# for $5.

About the wood stove pellets - I was advised touse them by the HRS foster family of Checkers when I adopted her. I wasconcerned about the label on the bag 'not for consumption by animals',but they assured me as long as there was no fire excellerent added,they were just wood and were safe.
I was still a bit leary, so when I went to Home Depot looking for it,the man who was helping me (they are 40 pound bags) was surprised whenI only wanted 5 bags. He said usually people by these by the pallet. Itold him I used it as litter for my rabbit. He said he was familar withpeople using it for that. Since he seemed to be knowlegable, I askedhim about the warning label about use with animals. He said the pelletcompanies were forced to put that on because some dairy and steerfarmers were mixing it into the cattle's feed. It was a cheap way toextend the feed - the cows 'felt' full after eating it because itexpanded and disolved once in their stomach (or stomachs), and yet theyweren't getting the nutrition they needed. God only knows what otherproblems it would cause the poor cows.
The pellet industry got wind of this and highly discouraged this dispicable use of their product.
And so, the warning label about consumption by animals...
It made sence to me, and I have never had a rabbit even ATTEMPT to eatit. And my Checkers would eat ANYTHING. I use to say that if I put amanhole cover in the pen, she would try to eat it. But she nevertouched those pellets. She loved to dig in them, though!
They smell like wood - which is a nice smell, and it does deordorize the urine.
I put a thin layer of the pellets of the bottom of the pan, and put hayon top. They just eat and pee to their hearts content! Itkeeps the pan dry, and no urine soaked feet!

:laugh:

sfritzp wrote:
I use to say that if I put a manhole cover in the pen, she wouldtry to eat it. But she never touched those pellets. She loved to dig inthem, though!
They smell like wood - which is a nice smell, and it does deordorize the urine.
I put a thin layer of the pellets of the bottom of the pan, and put hayon top. They just eat and pee to their hearts content! Itkeeps the pan dry, and no urine soaked feet!
I'm glad the wood stove pellets worked for you.People here buy it by the pallets too. I was lucky to get theremaining few bags. But the stuff I got had toostrong of a pine smell that I didn't like. And theydidn't absorb as well as Woody Pet. I'm standing bymy Woody Pet.

Rainbows! :D

Sorry if I offended you, but I had been told notto use it by the local Humane Society. When we adopted arabbit a couple years ago. I just recently switched to Woody Pet andwould swear by it. It costs me 5.98 for a 30 lb bag and is well worththe cost.

Pam

No No! You didn't offend me at all! Like I said,it says right on the bag 'not for animal consumption' and I wasconcerned about using it too! As any rabbit slave should be!
But, an HRS fosterer who swore by it and had 5 foster rabbits at thetime and dozens of successful adoptions recommended it - so I had tothink they knew what they were doing!
Pine wood could be a concern. The 'Stove Chow' that I use is made fromcompressed Ash wood only. I guess you have to look carefully at thelabel to know what kind of wood is used in the process.
I have never seen 'Woody Pet' around here, (and I have looked forit...) but if I did I would get that rather then the pellet stovestuff. But - it's cheap, available, and it works for my two monsterbuns!

FreddysMom wrote:
i now use Woody Pet (thanks JimD! :))
butbefore that I have used carefresh and yesterdays news...
You're certainly welcome FreddysMom!!

I would recommend the Yesterday's News or a similar paper pelletlitter. IMO..... it was easier to clean up than the Carefresh. (I usedboth before Woody Pet, too ;))

Latest posts

Back