I made my bunny scream

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blwinteler

Reaction score
He had a severely matted spot and I was trying to get it off of him. I tugged at it gently because I was afraid I'd cut him if I used scissors (it's happened before). Apparently I wasn't gentle enough. He started screaming. It was the worst sound I've ever heard because I knew I made my bunny hurt and/or afraid. I cuddled him and pet his head until he calmed down. I grabbed the scissors and clipped the last little bit of matted fur off. I let him go. Now, he is hiding behind the couch. He refused treats for a while. Now he is eating them a little. But I'm afraid he'll never forgive me. I know I won't. He's always been skittish and never liked attention from people. Now, I'm sure it will be worse. I'm not even sure how to coax him back into his cage later. He's a chewer, so he has to be in his cage when we are sleeping because he can't be left unsupervised. What can I do to make him feel better? Or make me feel better? I'm crying because I messed up and I love him so much and I feel terrible.

I am so sorry! I know you did it out of love and concern for him. I always apologize with food because it's a universal language. He will forgive you, even if he's skittish. You have to forgive yourself. Spend time apologizing in whatever way makes you feel better. His behavior is very normal but he will forgive you...i promise.

I am so sorry! I know you did it out of love and concern for him. I always apologize with food because it's a universal language. He will forgive you, even if he's skittish. You have to forgive yourself. Spend time apologizing in whatever way makes you feel better. His behavior is very normal but he will forgive you...i promise.

I feel so bad. I can't stop crying!

I feel so bad. I can't stop crying!
Its okay. I have clipped a nail too short before and it just about killed me. But the truth is, we groom because we care. Bunnies groom each other too. They know what grooming is because they groom each other. He will eventually let it go. For me, I ended up spending and hour on my stomach rolling raisins and other goodies under the bed to my baby to apologize. While the raisins may make him feel better, you might need your grapes in the form of a glass of wine;)

Its okay. I have clipped a nail too short before and it just about killed me. But the truth is, we groom because we care. Bunnies groom each other too. They know what grooming is because they groom each other. He will eventually let it go. For me, I ended up spending and hour on my stomach rolling raisins and other goodies under the bed to my baby to apologize. While the raisins may make him feel better, you might need your grapes in the form of a glass of wine;)

When they groom each other, they don't hurt each other. I've never heard a rabbit scream before, though I knew they could. I can't get the sound out of my head. I don't drink wine. Maybe I'll have my last couple edibles...
I've given him plenty of treats in his little hiding place. Buggs, my other bun, has been helping him eat them. Even he seems a bit more scared of me than usual. I was across the apartment in the bathroom when Groucho screamed. But I'm sure Buggs heard it.

What can I do to make him feel better? Or make me feel better? I'm crying because I messed up and I love him so much and I feel terrible.
Switch attention to something new and positive, do something positive and interesting but don't show that you want him to come out, sit on the floor and do something by yourself sing a song or talk to yourself or call a friend just stop this drama. Nothing really happened, you didn't want to hurt him it was just an accident so just say sorry and let it go.

just stop this drama. Nothing really happened, you didn't want to hurt him it was just an accident so just say sorry and let it go.

Wow. I don't know how I feel about this. Yes, it has good advice. But it is also mildly insulting. I am hoping you didn't mean it that way.

FYI: I have high anxiety and bipolar disorder. I'm, therefor, an emotional person. I also have ptsd from an abusive marriage where "suck it up, it's nothing!" was a mantra. So, I might be taking your intent wrong. But it still stung.

Well, it does happen, no harm done, some rabbits scream quite easily. When I handle my rabbits I always give them a treat afterwards, piece of apple or carrot, so whatever I do with them they don't hold a grudge. I also try to keep the sessions short, max half a minute, when they get insistant to hop away I let them go+treat and continue later.
Girl got somewhat cautious around me because I kept plucking fistfuls of fur off her for weeks whenever I came across her, but I ignore that, she'll get back to normal in some time.

The thing is, when you act different after that, the rabbits may notice. They don't like changes much. Also, when something needs to be done, do it with confidence, don't apologize to the rabbit, imho one of the few emotions rabbits can detect well in other creatures is nervousness and unsureness, the attitude that something is off - useful for prey animals.

The thing is, when you act different after that, the rabbits may notice. They don't like changes much. Also, when something needs to be done, do it with confidence, don't apologize to the rabbit, imho one of the few emotions rabbits can detect well in other creatures is nervousness and unsureness, the attitude that something is off - useful for prey animals.

Thank you. That is helpful. I've had him 6 years now and never had this happen. I definitely acted upset after. But, well, they should be used to that. As I said above, I'm an extremely emotional person.

Wow. I don't know how I feel about this. Yes, it has good advice. But it is also mildly insulting. I am hoping you didn't mean it that way.

FYI: I have high anxiety and bipolar disorder. I'm, therefor, an emotional person. I also have ptsd from an abusive marriage where "suck it up, it's nothing!" was a mantra. So, I might be taking your intent wrong. But it still stung.
I didn't mean to insult you apologise if I sounded rude, just meant to say that when you show confidence to your rabbit it makes communication much easier, you didn't mean to hurt him it just happened more you cry about it more he'll feel something wrong happened and he'll remember it for longer.

We all have old wounds I am sorry I just stepped on yours, apologies again hope your bunny won't hold it and you'll be good friends again soon

I know that feeling, last weak I noticed one of my bunnies nail had totally been ripped off. So I had to clean his wound, he struggled a lot and started to bleed, he was grumpy after that. He growled and tried to bite me, when he was putted backed into the cage.

But with little treats and giving him space, he was back to normal again. I have a fragile bond with him, because he still dosen’t trust humans.

But I think bunnies have a great rebound to bounce back and forgive you. When they have created a bond with you.

If the same thing happened half a year ago for my bunny. He would hidden in a corner and attack me all the time, taking at least a month to make him feel safe around me.

So don’t worry about your bunny, if you happen to break the bond. You only need to be extra careful and walk around with treats (pellets) in your pocket. Reinforcing a positive image to your bunny.

The bond will build up and become stronger [emoji5]

I've heard a rabbit scream , i almost broke my rabbits leg by accidentally trapping it in a really heavy door .
It made me cry so much .
After that she hated me for a while after that , then she had her childen , and learned that she could trust me , now all those children are gone , and she's pregnant again .

I've also had a really young baby bunny die , probably from organ failure.

I didn't mean to insult you apologise if I sounded rude, just meant to say that when you show confidence to your rabbit it makes communication much easier, you didn't mean to hurt him it just happened more you cry about it more he'll feel something wrong happened and he'll remember it for longer.

We all have old wounds I am sorry I just stepped on yours, apologies again hope your bunny won't hold it and you'll be good friends again soon

Thank you for understanding and explaining. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back