I like this cage better.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awfully pricy & requires the rabbit to love climbing. I'm happy with a $50 xpen [exercise pen] like for outside dogs, set up inside with a tarp over the floor & then flattened cardboard boxes because Honey is a chewer. They come in 8 2-ft sections, so the usual configuration is 4-ft square. I visit Honey in it. Their main problem is that some rabbits can climb the sides & escape, so their owners have to block off enough of the horizontal bars so they can't be climbed.

That looks like it could work well enough. I think when the post says the doors are 12" x 6" that isn't correct. It must mean the openings between the levels. The doorways in the front must be much larger than that.

I agree it is pricey, but if you don't want a NIC and can't use an x-pen, then that may be the ticket. Another option could also be to make a cage out of furniture like someone is doing with an old armoire (or like I did with an old oven cabinet). If you don't relish making your own, then perhaps this is best.

the "Not recommended for pets that like to chew" bit is a bit of a red flag, heh. it's also very narrow... and awfully expensive for what it is. you mention an x-pen not working because you have a dog... it's worth mentioning that rabbits need either at least 4-5h outside their cage/roaming the house on a daily basis or an enclosure that's a *minimum* of 60 square feet. the less time your rabbit gets out of the cage (ie if it's just for 4-5h vs being out most of the day), the bigger the cage should be - for a rabbit that's not *primarily* free range, I definitely wouldn't go with a cage that's only 23'' deep.

if you don't mind me asking, why don't you want a NIC cage? you were looking at a pre-made NIC condo before... a NIC cage is by far the best thing you could have for your bunny, given that x-pens have been ruled out.

I am not handy at all and want something more dog proof then nic. I will only contain him to the cage when I am not there. He will be out 3 hours+ a day I plan on attaching a ex-pen of nic cubes to the cage and it will somehow have a cover so bunny can't jump out. He will be allowed to have acess to the pen when I am home and when I am not.

A couple bunny moms here have that bunny condo. I thinks it's worth it especially if you can just pick it up without having to pay for any shipping fees.

I am not handy at all and want something more dog proof then nic. I will only contain him to the cage when I am not there. He will be out 3 hours+ a day I plan on attaching a ex-pen of nic cubes to the cage and it will somehow have a cover so bunny can't jump out. He will be allowed to have acess to the pen when I am home and when I am not.

you don't have to be handy to build a NIC cage :D. seriously, they're SO easy! if you use coroplast for the floors, the only tools you need are zipties and either an x-acto knife or box cutters. if you want to use wood for floors, places like Lowe's and Home Depot will cut it for you so you wouldn't need a saw or anything. it really is a far less scary project than it appears ;). I had never built anything by myself in my life when I got my bunnies and I was surprised at how easily my condo came together... and as I said before, if you do have trouble with it, we're always here to help!

how big is your dog? NIC is awfully sturdy as long as you don't use the stupid connectors that come with the grids, and the openings in the grid are only like 1.5'' at the most. it would take an awfully large (and frenzied) dog to bust into a NIC condo. I can push against my NIC condo with my full strength and not cause any harm to it.

That cage could work if you are willing to spend the $$$. I have a couple of dogs that have a taste for rabbit (have killed and eaten pet rabbits in the past RIP Tiger, Ping Pong, Sneakers). I have not had a problem with them and the rabbits with a nIC cage. They are suprisingly sturdy and strong. If you are worried about it, you could put the cage on a table so that your dog can not get to the cage at all. If you look on here http://www.guineapigcages.com/ it will give you all sorts of ideas on how to make them. You just have to expand upwards on their ideas. It talks about the size table you will need somewhere on there as well. It also shows you how to do the coroplast. I actually JUST got done building my rabbits a new 4x2x4 NIC cage today. They are really simple to build.

As for that cage that you are considering, I think that it would work out great :) It is plenty big enough for 1 bunny maybe even 2. Even with my new cage that one still provides them with more space than mine.

Latest posts

Back