I let our rabbits roam free in our yard!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
it is fenced so it was GREAT! They were a bit scared at first then actually started exploring and binkying. We also took the time to try and get out excess hair. When they are ready to come in they come to the door. I'm thinking this is great.

We even had all 4 girls out together and it went fairly well. Nutmeg did get nippy but Squish could out pace her :biggrin:

The best part was being able to walk up to them, pet them and all without them running off. Curly will actually follow up and seek out rubs. This makes us soooooo happy.

I think we will be doing this again tomorrow. Snowball Bunny has established a corner and flops out all happy.

Curly loved it, he acted like a meercat.

The biggest concern is ospreys and Hairy the dog likes to chase .... anything. He doesn't hurt them but doesn't get they are not playing so much. Eventually he just ignored them because the kids were also out.

My bunnies always lived free to go wherever at home (indoors though, I live in a building) it's good, awesome to have a bunny running all over! I don't know if it would be a good idea to leave the bunnies outdoors permanently because they could escape or get sick from the weather, but if they go out to play for some hours that sounds great, they seem to be enjoying it a lot! There's nothing cuter than a happy bunny!!!

I wouldn't worry about ospreys so much, as they are fish eaters and their feet are not as strong as other raptors, but I would definitely worry about Red-tailed Hawks. Red-tails are very strong and wild rabbits, at least, are definitely on their list of prey. Just be careful, it is a concern.

My bunnies free roam in the backyard, I also have an enclosed area for them as well in case I need to run an errand up the road. They love it. Hard to get one of them to go back into her hutch though, so I get to play chase until she is worn out. Started using a blanket to catch her last night. Fun!

We let ours loose in the backyard all the time~Taffy tries to run off but Ripley's pretty good.

Cheyrul wrote:
we have the two dogs and 6 kids to help. rabbits really veg out when tired lol!
You shouldn't use your dogs )or your children,really) to herd your rabbits, it can literally scare them to death.

Forgot to mention always check the perimeter around the fence because my bunnies were a bit naughty and dug under the fence line so I had to block certain areas with wood logs. I also have a front gate that is blocked up as well so they can't scoot underneath. Cinder got out twice and ran to my next door neighbors front yard garden. Thank god it wasn't the street.

We did the same, checking the perimeter and we blocked the gate off as the neighbor's chihuahua scoots thru to play with my dog all the time.

Latest posts

Back