I have tried everything

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariel

Reaction score

I love my Bindy but she has driven me to the point where I worry so much about her and her chewing!!

We have NIC cube thingys in a straight line across the fish tank stand,anyway I have put vinegar on the wires, put wooden slats in front ofBindy when she chews the wires, and nothing , she keeps going backthere to chew the plastic stuff of the little wire squares.

I have now tonight resorted to popping her in her hutch(leaving dooropen for her to hop out later) whenever I catch her chewing on the gatethingy made out of NIC cubes.

I don't want to keep putting her back in the hutch all the time but Ihave to do something,,, I have tried spritzing her with my water sprayand still nothing, she looks as if to say "huh" then continues chewing.

Anyone got any ideas?? She doesn't chew her wood sticks so I am goingto try get flavoured ones to help her realise wood is for chewing notplastic!!

This is really bothering me, of all the silly things she does, this hasgot me so worried about her chewing and possibly eating the plasticcoating.

"Thanks" in advance from me as it has me worried, and a "hmmmm what else can I chew that is just as good" from Bindy

Generally a little "shoo shoo shoo" action orclapping my hands distracts my buns, though they do usually return towhat they're doing within about 5 mins! Maybe try the bitterapple spray on them... I dunno if it works, but the dog stuffdefinately works with Rolo.

In Samantha Hunter's book, Hop to It, she says she puts her bun back inhis hutch when he does bad things. So it looks like you'regoing the right thing. :)

Ang xx

Thanks Ang, we have done the shoo thing, the clap thing, the stomp thefeet thing, the water spritz thing, the vinegar thing, the hutch thing(which hopefully over time will work) but I will go to my local petstore where I get her hay from and ask about sprays.

It just concerns me the amount of that coating she digests, she hasn't had any problems so far, but it can't be good for her.

I sort of been treating her like a little kid, you did the wrong thingso you go to your room type thing ( and I feel bad but I'm just tryingto help her)

We have the same set up blocking off the kitchen yet she doesn't chew that one only the one across the fish stand.
Maybe she wants to chew through , climb the stand and go talk to the fish ..... I dunno LOL

But thankyou for your advice I'll try some spray :)

My little ones have stopped chewing the furnitureand mainly stopped eating the wall but I've given up on ever gettingthem to leave wires alone.

I think it's one of those irresistable temptations :(.

What I've done with stuff that can't be fixed out of their reach is usethatcorrugated tubing stuff (that's like a concertina) thatyou find to put wires inside in cars or to put all your tv/stereo wiresin neatly.

So far they've left it completely alone. There were some posts on heremonths ago about this same problem and that was the most effectivesolution for wires that had to be loose I think.

Others may have come up with or know better ideas since then, if they have I'm interested in trying them out too.

Kate

Seems it's more the wire squares of the NIC cubes that she likes tochew, if it were cords or electrical wires I could fix it no dramas,but this one has me beat, but I will look for some yukkie spraytomorrow.

I was thinking more of doing the wires to the tank so she didn't have the NIC cubes there at all?

If the yukky stuff doesn't work could you just replace the barrier withsomething solid like plywood or plexi-glass if it's just that place shechews it?

Just brainstorming really :).

Kate

Carolyn recommended hot tabasco sauce to me when my buns were younger and chewing the furniture.

It worked better than anything else, I haven't needed to use any in ages, but I just thought of it :).

Kate

Good idea Kate, I'll talk to Brett whenhe gets home about hwat we can do about the tank wires, is hardsometimes to get a clear head on things when you are going through it.

Feel a bit silly but could try it, only trouble is the pump has to beon the shelf but I will have a look and see what we can re arrange, ifnot maybe I could move the NIC thingys and replace them with somethingelse.

Thankyou Kate :)

Hi Ariel,

The hot sauce works really well for me as Rowan had pointed out. (Rowan, I'm so glad it worked for you.)

You just put some on a rag and then spray furniture polish on it andrub it into the wood if wood was your problem. Youmight as well try it on the wires. I started with Tabasco,and had to step it up to a product that I had gotten off the internetcalled Dave's Insanity. Tabasco wasn't hot enough forTucker. He liked it like it was a lollipop - littleStinker.

I had to sign a release form to get Dave's Insanity because it'sso hot. I made a huge mistake of not using gloves and thenrubbing my face after I had put it on the furniture.Ouch! I felt like my skin was going to burn off. Becareful not to do the same with whatever you use.

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSXXXXXX42US

-Carolyn

Usually when cosmo is chewing on something heshouldn't (aka, the carpet)...I throw a bunch of hay over the spot helikes to chew and that'll distract him for a while....

Nepo usually chews on thebars of his cage when he wants to come out or wants someone to payattention to him. So maybe Bindy wants to run around the house? Nepogot an interest in doors and walls :Xhe just chews thembecause he wants to like he does wires and furniture. Be really carefulwith wires, they can get electrical shocks. Even though I've nevertried them, the spiral things that are coverings for wires work reallygood because bunny's teeth slip and they can't bite it. When Nepo isout of his cage having a run of the house, I put his wooden cage out toso he'll bite it instead of the furniture sometimes it works andsometimesit doesn't. When he bites stuff I move him awayuntil he stops. When he bites carpet ( which he doesn't do a lot), Ipush his head down and say no, it works, but one time I had to movehim. I hope this helps it'sreally long :p.

I've found that hot sauce works best.I've tried the bitter stuff and it has never worked for me. Iheard and agree that it is because rabbits like bitter stuff...lots ofthe veggies they love are really bitter (i.e. endive, radish).

You might also try putting plexi-glas up. I have that on thelower parts of the bun's room so they can't chew the walls and it workswell.

Good Luck!

Jen

Latest posts

Back