I have to rehome my bunnies :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah92lynn

Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a looong time since I've been on this forum but I thought this would be the best place to get some advice or maybe even find someone who might like to adopt my bunnies!!
So long story short, I have a daughter now and I'm about 6 months pregnant with her little brother <3 Money is super tight and I'm always feeling guilty for not giving my buns as much attention as I use to. Its getting harder and harder to keep them well fed every month and I fear its just going to get worse once our little man is here.
What would you guys do? My bunnies are older (Lily is about 6 and Cocoa around 4 1/2 I think) so I feel like it will be hard to find someone to adopt them...not only that but I don't want to give them to just anyone!! We all know how complex and sensitive bunnies are so if I have to give them away I want to make sure the person is actually knowledgeable about rabbits.
Anyway thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated!! I love my bunnies so much and I don't want to give them up but at this point I feel like it might be what's best for them, even if its not for me :(

I think the main problem will be that there are two of them and that separating them at this point would be pretty cruel. Have you tried contacting your local House Rabbit society branch? From what I see, you live in Oregon so it would be this :
http://rabbitadvocates.org/

They do rehome rabbits so they might help you or at least have some advice.
Clearly if you don't have time or money, rehoming might be the best decision - while your rabbits can still live 4 or 5 years, they are at an age where vet visits can become necessary inexpectedly and it's really expensive (Aki is 7 and a half and we had two stasis scares in the past year which luckily ended well and quickly but costed me several hundred dollars in x-ray / scanner / meds).

PS : I just looked up your previous threads. You said Lily was 2 months old in May 2012 so she's not even five yet. You had your second around Octobre of the same year so Cocoa is 4. They're really quite young still, so their age shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Sorry it took so long to reply! But they aren't bonded,so they really aren't attached to each other. They live in the same hutch but they have a wall between them. I hate to give them up but I just want what's best for them & my family :(
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

If you can rehome them separately, it might be easier to find someone for them (or at least one of them, which might relieve you a bit). There is a Rescue me section in this forum. Maybe you can post for your rabbits there? I don't know the rules about this section of the forum. I would do one post per rabbit considering you can give them up separately (you'll find more people opening an add about one rabbit than two, considering that not many people wan't to rescue two at once... especially if they are not bonded).
I hope you can find a satisfactory solution for you and your rabbits.

Latest posts

Back