I have no idea about bunnies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bun01

Reaction score
My neighbours got 2 bunnies and they left them to me as they think I have experience with pets but I have 2 torts and 0 knowledge about bunnies what do I do? I don't know their breeds. Their needs nothing please please shed some light on me! Can you give them romaine lettuce and carrots,corn. Can they be kept with tortoiseView attachment 19845View attachment 19846View attachment 19847

Hi,

Basic food is hay, should be always available, also water of course, in a way they know (some few rabbits that grew up with crocks have a hard time figuring out how to drink from bottles)

With green stuff it depends on what the rabbits are used to, do not change their diet abruptly if you can help it, introduce anything new (especially green stuff and veggies) in slowly increasing amounts over a week or so. Don't give too much of one thing at once (a thumb sized piece of carrot is pretty big for a small rabbit,better half of that)

Pelleted rabbit food is also an option, also, introduce slowly, and not too much of that.
You can give kitchen oatmeal if they are skinny (simple rolled oats, not something instant or flavoured), I'd say about a tea spoon twice a day wouldn't be too much.

No corn, grains, or colourful food mixes that contain that stuff. No sweet stuff, cookies or other processed human food.

Watch the poop, if it gets soft or mushy cut back on veggies and pellets, and post the problem here.

There are lot's of websites out there about pet bunny food and stuff.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://rabbit.org/frequently-asked-questions/

Important thing is that they keep eating and pooping, keep an eye on that. If a rabbit stopps eating for a day it's an emergency.

Are you going to keep them? You know, they are rather high maintenance animals and can live for more than 10 years, also, not everyone is cut out to be a happy, patient bunny slave ;)

How old are they, male/female? You'll have to think about neutering soon. How do you house them? Their breed doesn't really matter, basically rabbits are rabbits.

Last edited:
Hey thanks alot. They aren't mine. I'm a tortoise keeper they gave them to me cause they think I have experience with pets 🙄. I feel sad for the babies really. They are a pair and I have no idea about their age. They are quite active I've been giving them romaine lettuce and carrots and water. They play with toys and cuddle alot. Hopefully they are ok.

. I wouldn't keep them with tortoises as they carry germs that definitely can be fatal to rabbits.

Really? Which germs? I would worry more about closer related species like rodents, or even humans as it is, what kind of germs do tortoise ( I don't know anything about those) definitly carry that could harm rabbits?

Anyway, I too don't think that's a good idea since their needs, activity level and behaviour are completly different, but I would have guessed the tortoise would be in for some trouble.

They look pretty young, I wouldn't guess them older than 8 weeks, to me they look much more like 6 weeks, but I have no experience with small breeds.
What will soon become important is what sex they are, since small breeds can start to reproduce as early as 12 weeks (I've heard even earlier, in some cases).

Don't change their diet much while they are so young, hay is good, and a little oatmeal is also easy to digest for them, but I would wait with any new greens or veggies. That they are active is a good sign, if that changes it would be a sign for problems.

Good luck :)

They look to be around 6-8 weeks. They could possibly be the new zealand breed, but that will also depend what country you are in.

If you are in the US or other country that has good quality pet supplies, go to a pet store or walmart sometimes has it, and get a bag of timothy hay and a bag of good quality plain rabbit food pellets(no seeds or colorful bits) that has alfalfa as the first ingredient. Or you can buy hay cheaper by the bale, at a farm store. You would want a bale of horse quality grass hay that has never been wet so it doesn't have mold in it(sour or musty smell, black or white spots). If you are in a country that doesn't have good pet supplies for rabbits, but you do have access to fresh long grass, you can feed your rabbit the fresh grass. You want the long grass and not the short new growth, as it's too rich and can upset their stomach. You would have to gather a lot of it as rabbits can eat a lot of food, and these are babies that are still growing. Basically they would need enough to last them all day and night, and you would need to continue to gather it fresh so it doesn't start to spoil.

If you can find out the exact brand and type of pellets they were being fed by your neighbor, then I would buy those if possible so that you can immediately begin feeding them a normal amount of the pellets right at the start. If you have to buy a different brand and type, then you will need to gradually introduce them to the diet over a week or two, by starting with a small amount like a tablespoon, and gradually increasing the amount each day. This is because rabbits have a very sensitive digestive system, and you have to give it time to adapt to a new food or you risk causing digestive upset(mushy poop, diarrhea, stops eating and pooping), and this can cause serious illness in rabbits. Baby rabbits are especially susceptible to digestive problems happening, so you have to be especially careful with them.

Free feed the hay, meaning it should never run out. Pellets, if you get the same brand and type your neighbor was feeding, then you can just go ahead and feed them a normal amount, which would be enough to last 9 hours, the next 3 hours they will eat their hay, then you feed pellets a second time. So you feed twice a day. You don't want to feed pellets the whole day or the rabbits might not eat their hay, and they need the hay for the fiber as it's healthy for their digestion and can help prevent digestive problems from occurring.

You need to be careful with the veggies. If they aren't causing any mushy poop, then you might be alright to continue feeding them, but you just don't want to overdo it. It's always best to gradually introduce veggies into the diet, starting with one at a time and gradually increasing the amount if it doesn't cause mushy poop or digestive upset where the rabbit stops eating.

This link has more detailed information on the care and feeding of rabbits.
https://rabbit.org/category/care/diet/

Latest posts

Back