I have babies! I have babies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH em Gee, that was awesome.

Though the mantic and vietnamese stick guy....are they....did they get dead? They look like they're more on display than alive because of the white background....

I totally found the frogs. Where's my gold star?

JAK Rabbitry wrote:
OH em Gee, that was awesome.

Though the mantic and vietnamese stick guy....are they....did they get dead? They look like they're more on display than alive because of the white background....

I totally found the frogs. Where's my gold star?

They did totally get dead :( My hubby was very sad because he had caught the mantid. There was a horrible altercation between the wood frog and themantid - themantid lost.

The praying mantiscan really look intimidating.It willflare outits wings and rub them vigorously againstit's abdoment, making a very loud hissing sound. It also rocks back and forth, imitating a leaf blowing in the wind (then it stikes its pray). We had a number of them this past year - very cool insect.

The Vietnamese stick probably died of old age - they don't live very long.

You get two gold stars for finding the frogs!

Revenge of the walking sticks - check out this site

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu<WBR>/ENTOMOLOGY/extension/InsectID<WBR>/Walkingsticks/higg1jul.html<WBR>]http://www.oznet.ksu.edu<WBR>/ENTOMOLOGY/extension/InsectID<WBR>/Walkingsticks/higg1jul.html[<WBR>/url]

Pam

Great thread!

I keep praying mantids in the summer time, they usually don&#39;t make it through the winter. Our back yard is crawling with babies right now, every tree and plant is coated in &#39;em.

I don&#39;t see stick insects very often but you can get some massive ones in NZ.

minilops wrote:
I keep praying mantids in the summer time, Our back yard is crawling with babies right now

I don&#39;t see stick insects very often but you can get some massive ones in NZ.
Gee,i have not seen a praying mantis for years,i remember when i was a kid and you would find praying mantise&#39;s everywhere........but not anymore.

Pam your little insects are so cool! :D

cheryl

Wow, really cheryl? Actually come to think of it, I never saw any on my trip to Australia.

I have some lavender and the mantids just love it, they sit and wait for bees to come along and snatch them up and eat them. I have some pictures of my past pet mantids, I&#39;ll have to fish them out. Our last one was a man eater, we put 5 males in her tank and she ate them all one by one. Only took a day!

Once I found a very rare one, 99% of the mantids here are a type bought over from Africa but I had a native NZ one for a short time.

From my knowledge....female mantises eat the males after mating....the male provides yum yums to the female to sustain her through a pregnancy.

If I ever become a father....I want to be thought of as &#39;&#39;yum yums&#39;&#39;.

A local pet store has a Chilian Rose Tarantula that I have been looking at for months. How difficult have you found the species to be as a first spider? How aggressive is she, and is she fast. I noticed the one in the store makes a lot of web in its cage, do you get to see your spider much, or does she hide?

Oh and they want $49 for her, how much was yours?

Krissa wrote:
A local pet store has a Chilian Rose Tarantula that I have been looking at for months. How difficult have you found the species to be as a first spider? How aggressive is she, and is she fast. I noticed the one in the store makes a lot of web in its cage, do you get to see your spider much, or does she hide?

Oh and they want $49 for her, how much was yours?

The are very easy to care for. Ours was a free rescue -they can be fast and can jump high, but she&#39;s rather easy to get along with.She had bitten her previous owner a couple times.

The tarantulas are nocturnal, so you don&#39;t see them much. It&#39;s common for them to web themselves in during the day - they enjoy a log to hide in.

Pam

Absolutely cool! I would love to have stick insects! I like the hissing cockroaches also! I&#39;ve held them and they feel so delicate on your skin that any thought of the ewwwwwww bug sort of thing goes away - at least for me!

For the longest time we didn&#39;t see the praying mantis here in Indiana. Now, we&#39;ve started getting the population up again and I see at least 4 or 5 babies in my yard each summer! :colors:

I only draw the line at bees....... I&#39;m allergic.

Latest posts

Back