I have a very odd favor to ask you guys.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mardigraskisses

Reaction score
Okay, so I am absolutely FREAKING out about getting Bayou neutered.

This is the vet that I will be taking Bayou to: Click me!

Now, when I made the appointment, the receptionist told me to with hold food that morning, which I've read you are not supposed to do.

I'm hoping that the receptionist just says that to everyone. Okay, this is where the odd favor comes in...

I have awful social anxiety (and for some reason it's 704582094823 worse over the phone. I almost died trying to get the appointment.) It doesn't help that the receptionist was pretty snotty.

I was wondering if someone could call and ask to talk to one of the vets who would neuter rabbits and see if they are kosher.

I know this is really odd, but I can't bring myself to call back and talk to that hateful receptionist. :nerves1

Bayou asks: PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE?!

l_cdecf4b9e11846eaba24c41128a27780.jpg

:D LOL... I'm not supposed to laugh :)
That was too funny how you wrote that ;)

I agree, you should probably look elsewhere. Look under "exotic" vets to narrow down your search.

Do you have a list of questions in front of you to run through with the secretary?

Be confident: you know very well that the "taking away food thing" is not appropriate. Anyone that gets on the phone and says that to me gets this:

"I'm sorry... it is my understanding that removing food before surgery is inappropriate for rabbits, as they are incapable of vomiting. The stress of surgery is capable of causing gut motility problems in many rabbits."

Many front office workers are a bit clueless about buns. At that point in the conversation, she should backtrack like crazy.
If she doesn't agree with you, ask to speak to a vet tech.
If the vet tech doesn't know anything about it, ask to speak with the vet.

No point in doing anything with a practice of people that don't even know basic rabbit digestion.:twitch:

I phoned around to probably 6 offices before I made my choice. 70% is unacceptable.
Especially for a male (non-invasive).

You're doing well. Make them talk, and write their answers. Don't worry about taking up time either :)

you can try rabbit.org to find a vet in your area or post in the other section of Rabbits online for your area asking anyone in that area for a vet they use.

How did you find out they have a 70% survival rate?

I sometimes get anxious on the phone, too. The more important something is, the more likely I am to forget something.

If it's something really important that I'm calling about, I will make a "script." I just write out the questions I need to ask, and anything else that I need to say. Then I will leave space to write out responses. I also try to ask the person's name, and write that down.

I don't know if this would work for you, but it is helpful for me.

I found a vet right down the road from where my dad works who has attended lots of conventions. The vet website even has it's own special place for rabbits! :D And the secretary was sweet and said NOT to withhold food. He's going in today to get a wellness exam and then hopefully get neutered sometime this month.

I asked on a pet forum about the first vet and got about ten responses from different breeders/pet owners around Tennessee who said to ABSOLUTELY NOT use that vet. I don't want to say too much as I don't want anyone to get in trouble. But one breeder had taken a bunch of rabbits to get neutered and only FOUR of them made it back.

Here is the new vet I am taking him to: Clicky

Even if the percentage of survival is higher than what the breeder told me, I think I'll stick to this new vet. A little more pricey, but at least I KNOW that she knows what she is doing.

Hey Jess!

Great to hear you've found a great vet. Incidentally, she's the first one in our Vet Listings in Tennessee...here. This subforum is in the Infirmary.

It would be really great if you could write down the name and info of the first vet you visited. It's OK to do that; that way, other folks on RO from Tennessee will know who to avoid for spay and neuter.

Maybe saves a few buns in the future, y'know?

Congrats again on finding a wonderful vet :)

Wow, that info about the first vet is very scary. How could any vet continue doing rabbit spay/neuters when they obviously are missing some important technique/knowledge. I'm glad you found a great bunny vet :)

Oh my goodness. I'm so glad you got a new vet! Still not sure how you found the 70% survival rate but that's not good!

Bayou looks ADORABLE in that pic. I love bunny tongues!

gentle giants wrote:
Holy Cow! 70%?! Good thing you found that out before you took him in! :shock:

That's not as bad as one of the vets around here that is for cats and other small animals.....Last year when I called, they had a 50% or lower chance of survival! :shock:I crossed them off the list as soon as I hung up the phone!

Fran, it's easy to find out the vets' survival rates; you just ask them.

Emily

Congrats on finding a new vet, one who is knowledgeable with rabbits. I would stick with this vet that you found, because it is hard to find a vet that is very knowledgeable with rabbits.

I took him to Dr. Brumbelow today and she said he was healthy. She was so bubbly and nice and she didn't make me feel like I was stupid for worrying about his neutering. Gonna be getting him neutered Wednesday.

I did find out he's a little over weight though. :grumpy:

Phew! Lucky you did some research before getting Bayou neutered! It's really great you found this new vet! Congrats! :D

Latest posts

Back