I have 3 rabbits about to have kits and its very cold out!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 3 rabbits and theyre all pregnant I know for a fact 1 is due in 12 days, and another is due in 18 days. But I'm not sure when the 3rd one got pregnant. Its snowing outside and I dont want the babies to freeze. What should I do? My family member said heat lamps wont help.

Put tons of straw or hay into the hutches/cages. Maybe a blanket or two, and if you want to, put a stuffed animal in there with them. Is there a way for wind to get in? Could you send a picture of the hutches/cages to let us know what they look like? If there is a way for wind to get in, put up plastic window sealer that is for outdoor use. Make sure the water bottles don't freeze. It would be best if you can bring them (the rabbits not the water bottles :)) indoors, but totally understand if you can't since my rabbit is also not allowed indoors. Check out the link below for how to keep rabbits warm in the winter.
https://www.thecapecoop.com/getting-rabbits-ready-for-winter/

Put tons of straw or hay into the hutches/cages. Maybe a blanket or two, and if you want to, put a stuffed animal in there with them. Is there a way for wind to get in? Could you send a picture of the hutches/cages to let us know what they look like? If there is a way for wind to get in, put up plastic window sealer that is for outdoor use. Make sure the water bottles don't freeze. It would be best if you can bring them (the rabbits not the water bottles :)) indoors, but totally understand if you can't since my rabbit is also not allowed indoors. Check out the link below for how to keep rabbits warm in the winter.
https://www.thecapecoop.com/getting-rabbits-ready-for-winter/
The hutches have no way for wind to blow in and I already put plastic around them just in case. The one that is due sooner is in the building with a heat lamp and a plastic tarp on the sides and back sides just to keep it warm. But thank you so much for the advise I will definitely get all that stuff done and check out the link.

I have 3 rabbits and theyre all pregnant I know for a fact 1 is due in 12 days, and another is due in 18 days. But I'm not sure when the 3rd one got pregnant. Its snowing outside and I dont want the babies to freeze. What should I do? My family member said heat lamps wont help.
The hutches have no way for wind to blow in and I already put plastic around them just in case. The one that is due sooner is in the building with a heat lamp and a plastic tarp on the sides and back sides just to keep it warm. But thank you so much for the advise I will definitely get all that stuff done and check out the link.
dear abby,-there is always a big threat of fire with heat lamps,-,I do have and maintain outdoor a cage{off the ground} for my homers-pigeons,-it requires a vigilant attitude to keeping them alive and healthy..i use-two layers 6mil clear plastic,remote temperature sensors,and a space heater on low-this given the heater must be secured and kept away from the animals,and no grasses must get within 18inches of the front,this is a must--they have power,light,heat-a very controlled environment,i feel it is safe as I can make it-and I have had great success,for years,,but we always cross our fingers.,a cold outside environment is health risk--and easy target for predators,--{disclaimer}please use at your own risk,,-sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail/bdenium-rip

there is always a big threat of fire with heat lamps
Yes this is true, though we had ducks in the garage for 2 months with a heat light and it never caught on fire. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it does. Abby_victoria1 I would recommend a heat light for ducks and chickens, but you probably already have that.

How cold does it get in your area? Just check them often. Make sure the kits cannot get out of their nest. If mom doesn't pull a bunch of fur, you can buy nesting box fluff. I used strips of fleece for the mom that didn't pull very much fur. If any of your mamas have only 1 or 2 kits, you may need to shelf the babies to a warm area & just give them to mom to nurse until they are bigger. 1 or 2 babies won't produce very much body heat to keep warm.

Mine have had 4 litters since the cold hit. It's gotten to 20 degrees at night and the mamas and babies (and all the coop pets!) have been perfectly fine with lots and lots of straw. My girls take mouthfulls back to their tunnels and keep the babies warm. If I reach my hand in the tunnel on a cold morning by the babies I can feel the warmth!

Attachments

• 20181205_091821.jpg
    20181205_091821.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 13

One extra tip is to just check on them as often as possible. Sometimes babies fall out of the nest and can freeze to death. Good luck.

I suggest you bring them all inside your house where they can be warm.

Latest posts

Back