I Got Attacked For The First Time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
Shorty attacked me last night! He waslounging in his Condo and his sister was out and about running aroundmy room. I wanted to clean the cage (the cage door was open)and I reached in talking to him in my goofy voice I always use withthem. He was open to my head/nose stroking and he made hishappy noise. I talked to him some more and cupped my handunder his rump and use my other hand behind his front legs (just like Ihave picked them up hundreds of times) to lift him out of thecage. He made an odd growl/grunt noise and hopped right outof my grip! I leaned towards him slow, talking gently thewhole time, and he lunged at my hand! He grabbed at my handwith his front nails and I think he was going to bite me! :(

Why does my formerly sweet bunny hate me? What did I do? I am SO sad I want to cry.

It could be just that he was having a bad dayand didn't feel like being picked up at the time. Just likepeople, bunnies have their ups and downs. If it isn't normal,then don't let it bother you (it is kind of like us yelling at someonewho is poking us while we have a headache). I have found thatif a bunny attacks with claws and nips, I don't react to it atall. After a few futile attacks on me, every one of our fourrabbits gave up trying to hurt me, but they still rarely try it on mywife if they are having a bad bunny day and don't want to be picked up(that is because she starts and pulls away at the firstswipe. Holding your ground gives you a few cuts and scratchesat first, but it also shows bunny whose boss).

Mr. Stee wrote:
Holding your ground gives you a few cuts andscratches at first, but it also shows bunny whose boss).

That is kind of what I did. I gently put my palm over hishead. He calmed down and I DID pick him up and holdhim. All the while talking sweet and asking him why he hatesme. :(

I have also just recently put Shorty on a diet. He haslimited pellets now and NO treats. As he is getting ratherplump. Maybe he is cranky - I know I am grumpy when I amdieting...?

awww...my Rue sometimes has a go at me, and iget upset too, but I chalk it up to her being in a bad mood. Shortystill loves you, he just didn't want to be picked up.

When i brought Kweli home Rue actually chased me, AND bit me.

Nicole.

Gracie does this when she had been left in hercage too long, or if I have not taken her out when she wanted to comeout. How dumb is behaviour like that. Theycertainly are not going to get out of the cage any quicker lol and wholoses when they get timed out in their cage

I think a lot of the rabbits do this.

Susan

Cookie growls at me if he is in a particularlyposessive mood. Most times it's because I am invading hisspace (his cage). Could be because you were in his cage andhe was feeling territorial so wanted you out. Doesn't mean hehates you at all!

Poco is usually the one at my house to displaythis kind of behavior. She gets cranky if she's in her cageand notices one of the other buns running around loose. It'skind of like "MY turn, Mom!" She also lunges at my hand ifI'm trying to right her litter pan after she's dumped it.

Hef bit me once - I was putting away a box of treats and I guess he hadwanted one more. So as I was closing the treat drawer he puthis front paws on my hand, nipped me and ran away. I guess hetold me!

Skittles nips me every time I stop petting her while I'm holdingher. I think she's just hungry because she is ALWAYSeating.:p Growing bunny!

Do all rabbits act like this and do all rabbitsmake noise? Our Bunny doesn't make a peep. She seems verylaid back and hasn't had a problem with me cleaning her cage while sheis in it. She gets to run around the livingroom every nightwith the cats and doesn't even make any sounds around them.

I think all rabbits are capable of grunting ormaking noise, but some choose to do so while others do not.While Poco is the Grunt Queen, I've only ever heard Hef vocalize once -he was running around out in the garden and I went to pick him up andmust've scared him because he grunted at me.

And Skittles only makes noise when Poco gets near her. I don't know why Poco has to be so mean to her!:X

Freddy couldnt care less about his cage gettingcleaned out a rearranged and then only time I hear him is when he getsa treat he makes a ::snarff, snarff:: sound .. on the other hand Vickythe normal shy one ..weve had to come to a middle ground on her cagecleaning. she doesnt like it so i would take her out while i cleaned ..and i swear it was like i had a lil billy goat she would constantlyhead butt me over and over and oink at me.. but she seems tobe okay if she is in the cage while i clean .. she sits there likeorchestrator of the project ...also when reaching in her cageto bring her out .. for stuff like clipping and daily once overs..she mushes back into a corner and startsoinkingat me and ill get a couple head butts and i have to firmly place myhand over her face and she calms down and lets me pick her up. shesscheduled for her spay on OCT 3rd so i dont know ifherbehavior will change after. I really cant complainthe nippingshe doesdo never breaks skin or really hurts.

Latest posts

Back