I got a new laptop!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Well, kind of free. My old Gateway laptop died. Sort of... I took it in to Best Buy to get it fixed a few weeks ago. They returned it to me for a day, but I had to take it back in because the screen would get all weird and look like a kaleidoscope if you bumped it (slightly). We took it back in and it's been MIA for a week. I got an email saying that they are going to replace it through my coverage plan. Yay!

I went in to get my new laptop, and they gave me an HP. I haven't had good experiences with HP, so I was a little bummed. Plus, it has Vista. I really don't like Vista. I know that I shouldn't crab about getting a new computer, but I just am bummed that all of my stuff is gone. I will get over it. :p

I had to pay for them to remove all of the "extra" junk that the companies put on there (trial stuff, etc.) and the 3-year warranty. So, a free computer turned into $350. Yeah...

I just wanted to share! :D

There is no such thing as free, lol. You always pay for it somehow. I hope you enjoy the new computer, though. Sorry about having Vista. I just bought a new Acer mini-laptop a few months ago and was lucky to have XP on it.

They had those there and I wanted one! I had to get the HP, though, since it was the closest thing to the Gateway that I had. Do you like those mini-ones? I thought they would be hard to use (small writing and such)?

I love my Aceer! I'm using it right now. I haven't had any issues with screen or keyboard size. I do use a wireless mouse. It is awesome for traveling.

They charged you $350 bucks to remove what I call crapware?!?!? That's INSANE...it's so easy to do (granted I do work in the IT industry)...they are ripping people off! This is truly easy stuff to do, remove that stuff.

Sorry you have vista, YUCK! I've had HP's for awhile now and they've been fine....you s/b ok w/ it!

Actually, it was only $60 to remove all of the crap. It was $279 for the 3-year warranty plan thingymabobber. It was $350ish for all of it together. :)

I actually traded my full-sized laptop for one of the little Asus eee netbooks. The one I got isn't super tiny, but is still small. I love it! I only used the laptop in the living room, for email and browsing the interwebs and such, so it works out really well for me. Lightweight, and the battery lasts forever! It did take a while to get used to the smaller size, but now my husband's "big" laptop annoys me.

They should have been able to copy everything onto your new laptop for you too, granted they'll charge you for it, but it's definitely possible for them to do.
A friend of mine dropped her laptop off her bed right after getting to college. It hit her fridge on the way down and killed the screen. Best buy copied the old stuff onto the new laptop for her.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we do need to start getting used to Vista as our operating systems... Heard the information right from a Microsoft rep that XP is being fazed out completely and will no longer be supported by Microsoft. There will actually be a new OS coming out late this year, or sometime next year. The launch date has not been set as of yet. I am not sure if they will find a way to make new computers incompatible with XP, or what in order to get people away from it altogether....

myheart

myheart wrote:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we do need to start getting used to Vista as our operating systems... Heard the information right from a Microsoft rep that XP is being fazed out completely and will no longer be supported by Microsoft. There will actually be a new OS coming out late this year, or sometime next year. The launch date has not been set as of yet. I am not sure if they will find a way to make new computers incompatible with XP, or what in order to get people away from it altogether....

myheart
Ugg....the Microsoft operating system actually seems to be getting more user-unfriendly and glitch prone with each new version. I sometimes long for the days of 3.1, lol. I guess I'll enjoy it while I can, then go buy an Apple.

Then you should explore the world of Linux! I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now, and I love it.

I hate using Windows, and only do so if I have to for school. Then I either use their computers or I still have a small Windows partition I can boot to on my computer.

It is very, very easy. You should check it out sometime.

--Dawn

myheart wrote:

myheart

I heard last week that Windows 7 is now in public beta phase. I'm not sure what the address is, but there is a web site where you can download a full version of Windows 7 for free. It will then be free to use for one full year. (Of course, then you're probably on the hook to pay, unless you want to switch OS's again.)

I am hoping that Windows 7 will work with netbooks. Mine came with XP on it, and it runs well. However, Vista just will not work on those machines, they just don't have the resources to do it. I'm considering trying out Windows 7 on it, but then I'll be stuck with it. (My netbook came with a system recovery disc, but it doesn't have a disc drive! I would have to buy an external.)

BethM wrote:
(My netbook came with a system recovery disc, but it doesn't have a disc drive! I would have to buy an external.)
Wow. You would think that whoever made the system recovery disc would look at the computer and go... "Oops! No disc drive! Let's find something else!"? All I can say is wow... just, wow... :p

kherrmann3 wrote:
I don't like Apple laptops. I like using my "right click" button. :)
try "double click", on the newest apple laptops that works just like the right click.
Or get a wireless mouse. I have one with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. It works great, even with Macs.

My whole family is sold on Apple, we all prefer them to Microsoft. They are much more reliable, there's no problem with viruses, and no hassles like Vista :p.

kherrmann3 wrote:
BethM wrote:
(My netbook came with a system recovery disc, but it doesn't have a disc drive! I would have to buy an external.)
Wow. You would think that whoever made the system recovery disc would look at the computer and go... "Oops! No disc drive! Let's find something else!"? All I can say is wow... just, wow... :p

That is how those super-small Acers are... no disk drive. Programs need to be downloaded from the internet or via and external disk drive with USB port/cord. They are cute for surfing the net, but a Word program would have to be load to write papers, ect....

myheart

I already had an external CD drive when I bought the Acer, so it wasn't an issue. I have the entire Office suite loaded.as well as PaintShop Pro and acouple of other favorites. Just today, I bought a wireless printer and am now hooked up with it. Does life get any better??

I was kind of disappointed when I heard about windows 7. It feels like they're just giving up on Vista instead of fixing it.

I haven't had problems with my laptop and Vista... yet. My mum had a few problems with it (she also doesn't understand computers and couldn't use one to save her life). *knock on wood* I hope it stays that way! :D

Latest posts

Back