I got a new camera, woohoo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
It's the cheapest DSLR I could find, but I've been saving for quite some time, and finally got around to buying it.

It's a canon EOS 1000d, or Rebel XS I think it is in other countries. I think it's like a crappier version of what Amy (undergunfire) has perhaps? It was $1200 with the two lenses and an HD memory card.

I got two lenses, one an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm.

It's really HEAVY! I had no idea how heavy cameras were with their lenses.

Anyway, if anyone has something similar and can give me some tips or tricks they have learnt, that would be much appreciated. It's not as difficult to use as I assumed it would be, but it's surely not as simple as the old point'n'shoot kind.

So far I just grabbed it out of the box, turned it on and got a few pictures of Pirate. So they wont look anything special 'til I learn how to use it.

[size="+2"][font="verdana,arial,helvetica"]
rat1.jpg

rat2.jpg

rat3.jpg

rat4.jpg

[/font][/size]

OOh, congratulations! Those pictures look great, mines stuck in auto lol, I have no idea how to use all the manual bits and bobs lol. Does this mean more pictures :D

I love those pics...looking forward to seeing what you take once you learn the camera better!

Welcome to the world of DSLR. :D

I am not familiar with Canon, but it sounds like it suits you very well, and the pictures are very nice.

The average weight on my camera with flash is 3 Kgs (6.6 lbs). ;)

I am sure that the Xsi and the XS probably weight the same with the stock lenses, if so...don't worry...you eventually get used to the weight. I pick up my Canon now and don't even realize how heavy it is.

Sounds like a good deal, too! What type of lenses are they? I am really wanting to get a lens, where I can shoot things far into the distance. I think they are telephoto lenses? I will probably have to wait until after the summer to get one because I want to spend the money to get a good one.

You will LOVE this camera for taking pictures of the rats. I am so happy that I have my Canon because I can now get those close-up perfect shots of my rats. I am sad that I didn't have this camera in the past for the rats that have gone to rattie heaven.

Kitty shots are the best with this camera, too! It really captures their expressions.

By the way....your rat boys look so good now! I love the coloring on the hoodie boy. I thought the boy without an eye was Pirate?

Haha oops! Sorry, yes that was Patch. I just call them "the ratties" or "ratty booooooys!!", never by their names, so I typed in the wrong one.

I got the stock lens and a telephoto one, that's the one that is heavy.

Pirate is very shy and doesn't like to go outside, but Patch loves climbing trees. I've mainly just taken pictures of them and nothing else :). I've done the usual closeups of flowers and such, but they are boring :p.

rat1-1.jpg

I thought this one was ruined as he ducked back, but I like the effect of him peeping out.

rat2-1.jpg

This seems to be more like a thread on my rats than anything, oops!

Woohoo! Congrats and welcome to the Canon DSLR club! :D I have the 400D..

Your pics so far are amazing! I really love the last 2.... The peeping out effect is very clever, even though it was accidental!

I really love my Canon, although I do struggle with the while balance on it sometimes :expressionless I'm not sure why, I just find it hard to get colours that match the lighting that I take pictures in well enough...

I want that camera! The pics are amazing, they look really professional. I love photography but it's hard to get good pics with my crappy camera :(

Latest posts

Back