I got a new bunny!!! And I need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLov3r

Reaction score
Hi guys! I got a Beautiful Mini Rex bunny as a pet. She is white with black markings almost like a English spot rabbit. She loves to be pet. The problem is that she can be nippy sometimes. She has moments where she is a grouch and doesnt want me to be anywhere near her. I can stick my hand in her cage at those moments and she'll dart right at them. I guessed that she just had a bad owner before. I got her off of craigslist. She was going to be taken to a shelter if no one bought her so I called on the ad. I was looking for a bunny anyway. She is about 1 year old. I've had her for about 1 month now. She does great running around. She does have a huge cage that is her territory and she gets that all to herself. She is aloud to roam around my room. My dad said she can't roam the whole house so I just let her go through my room. I have all the cords covered and everything! I just want to spoil her more! How can I do that? I don't have much money so I have to keep prices low. Hope you can help! Thanks!!!

~ Brianna Cochran

Here are some pictures of her ( sorry about the bad lighting. They where taken with a tablet),

1382566374435.jpg

1382566391149.jpg

1382566402871.jpg

1382566426808.jpg

1382566443091.jpg

1382566456605.jpg

1382566472335.jpg

Welcome to RO! Mini Rex rabbits are great, all personality and intelligence. I share my home with a black Mini Rex called Natasha Rabbitova, and her predecessor, Scone MacBunny, was a Mini Rex, too.

It can take a bun some time to settle in - at one month you're just getting started. Be patient, and she'll come around. Some rabbits are cage-protective, so she may just be trying to tell you that this space is MINE!

As to spoiling her, see what sorts of healthy foods she likes. My Natasha loves parsley, and she likes it even more when I sit on the floor and feed her one stalk at a time. She'll hop into my lap and munch away until she's full. Maybe there is some kind of hay she particularly likes - stuff some in a toilet paper roll and let her dig it out. Try cutting holes in a big cardboard box and let her use it as a tunnel or a hideaway - you really don't have to spend much money to spoil a bunny.

Thanks so much for the help! Your bunnies sound like fun! Clover loves lettuce and parsley. She loves apple too! I make sure i don't feed her too much though! Do you have any other ideas on how to spoil her? Ive done all those! Do you know of any good places that I can buy bunny stuff.

I've got a bunny named Clover too! Your bun looks like a sweetie.

Some rabbits can be very territorial over their cages. Try not to go in unless you have to. Try and do the cleaning when she's out and about. If you do have to go in when Clover is inside, move very slowly and start off by just setting your hand at the door and letting her sniff before moving in further. Think of her cage the same was as you would your room.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks! That's helpful! Great advise! You know, it's surprising how many people reply so fast!

What a beautiful bunny!! My bunny is fat and spoiled rotten -.- But he has very unhealthy habits...

Thanks! Just saying, maybe you should fix those unhealthy habits.

Do you know of any good places that I can buy bunny stuff.

My latest treats for my buns have been willow tree and apple tree twigs and they are free!!! I just had to make sure the apple trees hadn't been sprayed with any chemicals. I'm looking for pine cones now too because I read rabbits like to play with and chew them up. Someone on RO posted directions on how to clean and dry them. You can buy them all on eBay, but I'm trying to save money too so I find them around my town for free.

Thanks so much for the help! Your bunnies sound like fun! Clover loves lettuce and parsley. She loves apple too! I make sure i don't feed her too much though! Do you have any other ideas on how to spoil her? Ive done all those! Do you know of any good places that I can buy bunny stuff.

Aww she's cute! Where are you located? I can give you some websites you can get toys and treats from depending on where you live (some only ship within the US, some can be expensive when it comes to shipping, etc).

Thanks! I'll defiantly try these out! Thanks!!! I've been watching videos on YouTube on Budget Bunny and 101 Rabbits. They do good with their rabbits. I wish I could have a setup like 101 Rabbits does!

Time and patience are the keys. Neutering will also help to mitigate bad behaviors some of the time. It's normal for a bunny to be protective of "it's" space and that may never go away all the way. We have two new rescues that were pretty much the same--Mr Hoppes was 2 days away from being euthanized--he'd been adopted out 3 times and returned for aggression. He's not our first, so, we started handling him after a couple of days and bribing with cilantro and treats. He's so much beterr now and follows us around the room. Time and patience. Also, you need to remember that all bunnies aren't cuddlers and that most don't like to be picked up or handled, so it's a slow process with some but totally possible to achieve.

Thanks! I'll make sure I have lots of time and patience! That's great that you rescued your bunny!

Your bunny looks a bit like mine!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1383717483.080695.jpg my little natsu didn't like to be touched at all when I first got her! What I ended up doing was letting her wander around my room and I just sat there doing homework and she eventually got curious and came to say hello and she's been a lovie ever since. Good luck with yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back