I Finally Got Oreo to Eat Lots of Hay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuage

Reaction score
So, I don't think I've talked about this here, but I've been struggling to get Oreo to eat hay. For a while, I have used meadow hay, but she suddenly started eating less hay. This was right before an annual vet visit, so I talked to the vet about it then. The vet didn't find anything wrong with Oreo, so he told me just to try different hays and see if she would start eating more hay. He also recommended that I also decrease the pellet amount, to see if that worked. After trying so many different hay brands and types, I wanted to give up trying with hay. I would add herbs and even pellets to the hay, but all she did was dig, and just eat the pellets or herbs. Just as I was ready to give up and say she doesn't like hay that much, we tried feeding her Oxbow western timothy hay + orchard hay blends, and just started eating hay like there is no tomorrow. So, I just wanted to share that little update! I hope all of your bunnies are well!

So, I don't think I've talked about this here, but I've been struggling to get Oreo to eat hay. For a while, I have used meadow hay, but she suddenly started eating less hay. This was right before an annual vet visit, so I talked to the vet about it then. The vet didn't find anything wrong with Oreo, so he told me just to try different hays and see if she would start eating more hay. He also recommended that I also decrease the pellet amount, to see if that worked. After trying so many different hay brands and types, I wanted to give up trying with hay. I would add herbs and even pellets to the hay, but all she did was dig, and just eat the pellets or herbs. Just as I was ready to give up and say she doesn't like hay that much, we tried feeding her Oxbow western timothy hay + orchard hay blends, and just started eating hay like there is no tomorrow. So, I just wanted to share that little update! I hope all of your bunnies are well!
That is good! We have had problems with Lucy eating Hay too. I have a tray over her litter filled with hay. I put hay over her wood pellets in the litter and recently I started putting hay on top of her "kitty condo" which my husband calls a bunny bungalow. We have tried different kinds of hay. She likes hay in big pieces as well as compressed. We do not have a lot of hay options here and I have ordered from places...it is hit or miss if she will like it. We give pellets about every 2-3 days. What I do is add more hay to her hay tray daily. Once a week I move any hay she has not eaten to her bunny condo, where she will eat hay there too. Every few weeks I take any leftover hay in the condo and toss it. Just having hay all over in different spaces helps encourage her to eat hay, at least for us.

Latest posts

Back