I feel guilty...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, your bunny has more space to do more bunny things. I'm not sure if your bunny is a chewer but a suggestion would be to get some NIC grids try to block off those things he can chew on. No matter how many toys a rabbit has they get curious and like to taste test other things. Its looking good.

Don’t worry yourself- bunnies enjoy cage time and are most sleepy during the day. I agree that the best solution would be to either add a X pen, no matter how small, to add any extra space you can. Suggest to your mum that you’ll put it away when people are home?

8 hours of free roaming is far more than many buns get so don’t be hard on yourself.

Try making some fun toys to keep him busy.

Another alternative if you have the money would be to upgrade to a 2 or 3 tiered cage. It won’t take up more space but will double/triple bun’s space.

Good luck and let go of the guilt!! My bun also kicks off when she’s put in her cage at night but it’s best for her to stay safe and out of trouble.

Xxx

@Happy Bunno - I'm sure your mom is coming from a good place, but doesn't realize how much exercise your bunny actually needs.

You shouldn't have to starve him to make him lose weight - he still needs to eat something. I'm not sure what kind of food your rabbit is eating now, but if you are feeding him pellets, I'd say limit the amount of pellets you give him. Just focus on slowly feeding him more hay and veggies and less of the rabbit pellets. If you do give him pellets still, maybe you can feed him in a slow-feed dish (if you can).

Don’t worry yourself- bunnies enjoy cage time and are most sleepy during the day. I agree that the best solution would be to either add a X pen, no matter how small, to add any extra space you can. Suggest to your mum that you’ll put it away when people are home?

8 hours of free roaming is far more than many buns get so don’t be hard on yourself.

Try making some fun toys to keep him busy.

Another alternative if you have the money would be to upgrade to a 2 or 3 tiered cage. It won’t take up more space but will double/triple bun’s space.

Good luck and let go of the guilt!! My bun also kicks off when she’s put in her cage at night but it’s best for her to stay safe and out of trouble.

Xxx
Thank you so much! My grandmother has a dog pen and I thought that maybe I should ask her? My grandmother has actually already helped me a lot... I just today thought about getting a play pen and removing it when I get home. My mom is at work all day anyways, I always get home earlier then her. Thank you for bringing that thought back to my mind.

@Happy Bunno - I'm sure your mom is coming from a good place, but doesn't realize how much exercise your bunny actually needs.

You shouldn't have to starve him to make him lose weight - he still needs to eat something. I'm not sure what kind of food your rabbit is eating now, but if you are feeding him pellets, I'd say limit the amount of pellets you give him. Just focus on slowly feeding him more hay and veggies and less of the rabbit pellets. If you do give him pellets still, maybe you can feed him in a slow-feed dish (if you can).
Not to sound rude, but where did you get the idea that I'm starving him? I feed him twice a day: in the morning I give him fresh greens and veggies, at night I give him a little bit of veggies or some greens and a tablespoon of pellets. Hay and water are always available. I don't know if it's a good diet, but that's what I have been giving him. I'm not sure but I might be giving too many greens....

Can you maybe use the bathroom as a bigger cage during the time no one is home.

I often use the bathroom in my house as a temporary cage before my family accepted to have him run around free roaming and the house was bunny proofed.

I just want to say... be careful about bathrooms!

Our old apartment had hard floors, allowing for the use of x-pens, but the new place is on the 2nd floor and it's ALL carpet except kitchen and bathrooms (Layne and Alice are both carpet destroyers). When we first moved in, it took me a couple weeks to figure out what coroplast-floored condos I was building and where, plus gather materials and get them made. Between carpets and cats, the rabbits absolutely can't run around loose here unless someone is keeping an eye on them... so I figured they could live in the bathrooms until they had condos.

In one bathroom, Layne picked a spot and peeled some paint off the wall (naughty boy!) while Nala probably encouraged him, lol. That's our little "lambers" for you, he's always had a thing for drywall.

In the other bathroom...

Early on a Sunday morning, our downstairs neighbors started banging on our door/bedroom window to get our attention. Why? Because there was water coming down their walls in the master bathroom/closet area! Hubby answered the door, started freaking out and woke me up. I scrambled for my glasses and ran to the bathroom... which was FLOODED. A small geyser of water was spraying up about 5 feet in the air, originating behind the toilet. In the middle of all the chaos was a very shocked, confused and damp little holland lop. Yeah. Genius rabbit had chewed through the line that carries water from the wall/pipes into the toilet tank.

So I dive for the knob that cuts the water supply off at the wall and then scoop up Alice, wrap her in a towel and start drying her off/making sure she wasn't going into shock from getting wet... all the while freaking out that we might get evicted b/c the neighbors called maintenance and I had no way to explain a hole in the water line caused by an animal we weren't supposed to have. Thankfully, they took a while to arrive on a Sunday morning and when I answered the door, I calmly assured them I had gotten the problem fixed (while praying like crazy for no follow-up questions!). Lucky me, he assumed the toilet had overflowed and that's why I had been able to fix the problem myself so quickly... then departed. I told the neighbors the truth about a rabbit causing the incident; fortunately, they didn't rat us out (perhaps because I loaned them our shop-vac and shared the carpet cleaning machine I rented from Home Depot).

The moral of the story is this: if you're going to leave rabbits unsupervised in a bathroom, it's probably a good idea to use NIC grids or something to block access to the back of the toilet.

On a side note, as soon as I was sure that Alice was no worse for wear from her ordeal, husband and I laughed our butts off thinking about the face she must've made when she first broke through the pipe and suddenly got a snout full of water. :p

~~~~~

As for the guilt, Happy Bunno, 8 hours of time outside of his cage is quite generous. Yes, it's a small cage... but some things in life are beyond our control - there's only so much you can do when you have to answer to your parents, you know? We've all been there at some point in our lives. The important thing is that you do what you can for him. You give him as much time out of the cage as you can, you love him, you give him attention...

Think about all the rabbits out there in shelters, living in little cages no bigger than 2' x 2', usually with no time out of their cages and rarely any toys. If he didn't have you taking care of him, he might've ended up with far less! I've read enough of your posts in my short time back here on these forums to recognize what a caring and concerned bunny slave you are - please don't beat yourself up about things you can't do anything about!

Edit: oh, and I just noticed your last post:
I feed him twice a day: in the morning I give him fresh greens and veggies, at night I give him a little bit of veggies or some greens and a tablespoon of pellets. Hay and water are always available. I don't know if it's a good diet, but that's what I have been giving him. I'm not sure but I might be giving too many greens....

That sounds good... pretty light on pellets but as long as you feed a variety of greens, then that amount is just fine. Is he eating about his body's volume in hay each day? As long as he's a good hay eater and isn't getting poopy butt or an upset tummy or anything, there's no reason to worry that it's too much veggies (well, the leafy green kinds - non-leafy-greens should be very limited/just as a treat).

One other tip I forgot to add... in my experience, rabbits really seem to appreciate television! If you can leave a TV (or radio) playing when he's stuck in the cage during the day, I bet he'd enjoy that. It's funny, after a while you can actually pick up the subtle cues about what they like or don't like. Nala loves TV the most out of our rabbits. Hubby and I both noticed that she and Layne really seem to pay extra attention to Survivorman and other nature-type shows... but when hubby put True Blood on, they REALLY didn't give a darn about it! They also like the MTV show "Rob and Big" for some reason, lol. We think it's because everyone on the show is so energetic.

Not to sound rude, but where did you get the idea that I'm starving him? I feed him twice a day: in the morning I give him fresh greens and veggies, at night I give him a little bit of veggies or some greens and a tablespoon of pellets. Hay and water are always available. I don't know if it's a good diet, but that's what I have been giving him. I'm not sure but I might be giving too many greens....

Sorry, I completely misread your post! I didn't realize it was your mother that mentioned the starving bit...
Anyways, the amount of greens and pellets seem fine. What kind of hay are you feeding your rabbit?

His weight might just be going hand in hand with the fact that he doesn't have enough space to run and jump around to lose that extra weight.

Our old apartment had hard floors, allowing for the use of x-pens, but the new place is on the 2nd floor and it's ALL carpet except kitchen and bathrooms (Layne and Alice are both carpet destroyers). When we first moved in, it took me a couple weeks to figure out what coroplast-floored condos I was building and where, plus gather materials and get them made. Between carpets and cats, the rabbits absolutely can't run around loose here unless someone is keeping an eye on them... so I figured they could live in the bathrooms until they had condos.

In one bathroom, Layne picked a spot and peeled some paint off the wall (naughty boy!) while Nala probably encouraged him, lol. That's our little "lambers" for you, he's always had a thing for drywall.

In the other bathroom...

Early on a Sunday morning, our downstairs neighbors started banging on our door/bedroom window to get our attention. Why? Because there was water coming down their walls in the master bathroom/closet area! Hubby answered the door, started freaking out and woke me up. I scrambled for my glasses and ran to the bathroom... which was FLOODED. A small geyser of water was spraying up about 5 feet in the air, originating behind the toilet. In the middle of all the chaos was a very shocked, confused and damp little holland lop. Yeah. Genius rabbit had chewed through the line that carries water from the wall/pipes into the toilet tank.

So I dive for the knob that cuts the water supply off at the wall and then scoop up Alice, wrap her in a towel and start drying her off/making sure she wasn't going into shock from getting wet... all the while freaking out that we might get evicted b/c the neighbors called maintenance and I had no way to explain a hole in the water line caused by an animal we weren't supposed to have. Thankfully, they took a while to arrive on a Sunday morning and when I answered the door, I calmly assured them I had gotten the problem fixed (while praying like crazy for no follow-up questions!). Lucky me, he assumed the toilet had overflowed and that's why I had been able to fix the problem myself so quickly... then departed. I told the neighbors the truth about a rabbit causing the incident; fortunately, they didn't rat us out (perhaps because I loaned them our shop-vac and shared the carpet cleaning machine I rented from Home Depot).

The moral of the story is this: if you're going to leave rabbits unsupervised in a bathroom, it's probably a good idea to use NIC grids or something to block access to the back of the toilet.

On a side note, as soon as I was sure that Alice was no worse for wear from her ordeal, husband and I laughed our butts off thinking about the face she must've made when she first broke through the pipe and suddenly got a snout full of water. :p

I'm sorry Jennifer, but this had me totally cracking up! I could just see her soaked, water everywhere, and looking totally confused about how she got into this mess. I actually never considered the water line being chewable back there(don't know why cause it is). Good reminder.

Sorry, I completely misread your post! I didn't realize it was your mother that mentioned the starving bit...
Anyways, the amount of greens and pellets seem fine. What kind of hay are you feeding your rabbit?

His weight might just be going hand in hand with the fact that he doesn't have enough space to run and jump around to lose that extra weight.
I'm currently using meadow hay and I don't know if that's ok...

In the other bathroom...

~~~~~

As for the guilt, Happy Bunno, 8 hours of time outside of his cage is quite generous. Yes, it's a small cage... but some things in life are beyond our control - there's only so much you can do when you have to answer to your parents, you know? We've all been there at some point in our lives. The important thing is that you do what you can for him. You give him as much time out of the cage as you can, you love him, you give him attention...

Think about all the rabbits out there in shelters, living in little cages no bigger than 2' x 2', usually with no time out of their cages and rarely any toys. If he didn't have you taking care of him, he might've ended up with far less! I've read enough of your posts in my short time back here on these forums to recognize what a caring and concerned bunny slave you are - please don't beat yourself up about things you can't do anything about!

Edit: oh, and I just noticed your last post:

That sounds good... pretty light on pellets but as long as you feed a variety of greens, then that amount is just fine. Is he eating about his body's volume in hay each day? As long as he's a good hay eater and isn't getting poopy butt or an upset tummy or anything, there's no reason to worry that it's too much veggies (well, the leafy green kinds - non-leafy-greens should be very limited/just as a treat).
Thank you so much!
Yes he eats a lot of hay. I give him different types of veggies and greens too. He has a problem with drinking water though... how much water does a rabbit need?

"Meadow hay" is grass hay, making it perfectly suitable for your bunny.

Water consumption can vary from rabbit to rabbit. When Nala and Gaz were maybe 3-4 months old, it seemed like Gaz was drinking a lot more water than Nala... I was paranoid and took them to the vet and had a urinalysis done on both of them. They were both fine and the vet explained that it really does just vary from one bunny to the next. It's also entirely possible that your rabbit doesn't seem to drink that much because you're feeding him a lot of leafy green veggies, which double as a good source of water/hydration.

Do you use a water bottle or a bowl? Most rabbits will drink more water when it's offered in a bowl rather than a bottle.

your beautiful bun looks like mine! And I have a similar sized cage I keep her in while I am at work. I work 8 hrs a day. I come home at lunch and let her out for 2 hrs. Then she gets free roam time from 3pm to 10pm. She is perfectly fine. Your rabbit is ok in the cage. Would he like more free roam time? Probably, but he is ok. You can continue to work on your mom, I'd suggest going up for space. Good luck!

"Meadow hay" is grass hay, making it perfectly suitable for your bunny.

Water consumption can vary from rabbit to rabbit. When Nala and Gaz were maybe 3-4 months old, it seemed like Gaz was drinking a lot more water than Nala... I was paranoid and took them to the vet and had a urinalysis done on both of them. They were both fine and the vet explained that it really does just vary from one bunny to the next. It's also entirely possible that your rabbit doesn't seem to drink that much because you're feeding him a lot of leafy green veggies, which double as a good source of water/hydration.

Do you use a water bottle or a bowl? Most rabbits will drink more water when it's offered in a bowl rather than a bottle.
I guess I am a bit paranoid... btw I use a water bowl

Latest posts

Back