I don't know what to do..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
I know I haven't been on for a while, and I hope you all forgive me, but i'm really stuck in a rut right now with what to do with Babii, and pushing the past aside, I need some advice.

She turned 6 last week. I think (I always have trouble with this.. she's either 5 or 6)

Lately she hasn't been eating much, or drinking. I kept her water for 3 days (taking out poop and bedding with my fingers) just to see exactly how much would be gone. Her dish was 1/3 full by the end of day 3. I usually give her a handfull of food a day (around 1/3 cup) but it's not going down as it used to. She pees/poops as normal, though.

I also found she's walking funny. 99% of her day she's in a corner. When she goes to the other end of her cage to use the 'facilities' she sort of .. slips? If that makes sense. Think of a dog on a really icy pond. That.

So, I was thinking, either the unthinkable is about to happen, or her nails are bothering her. Should I cut them again? (just did a few weeks ago) or is that out of the question?

I really don't have the funds to bring her to the vet to seek specialty care.

Oh! I tried to give her a treat earlier and stuck it through the bars in her cage, and she hit the side of her face, and her forehead on it a good dozen times before it found her mouth.

Are you sure she can see?

She may have vision problems combined with arthritis, or she may be suffering the effects of a parasite like EC.

Please change her water every day. Fishing out the poops leaves the bad stuff in the water.

You can try giving her Panacur (for EC) and Metacam (for arthritis) but both require vet prescriptions. The Metacam needs to be given only to a well-hydrated bunny with a full stomach. (A bit of baby Motrin will do in a pinch).

And do what you can to test her vision, although that's a vet thing as well.

Keep her stress free and warm.

Hope she's okay.

sas

Randy says roughly the same thing Pipp. He says:

Need more info but my first thought is either some type of ear infection or possibly a vision issue. It could be an abscess in the skull causing problems. Could be early signs of EC depending on history.

You could atlease have a vet visit. Those are not as much as forking out for surgery. then you would atlease have an idea of whats going on. Age in rabbits can bring on so much.

Sweetie wrote:
Randy says roughly the same thing Pipp. He says:

Need more info but my first thought is either some type of ear infection or possibly a vision issue. It could be an abscess in the skull causing problems. Could be early signs of EC depending on history.

She's never been sick before.. if that makes a difference. I never thought of a vision issue.. maybe she's just.. blind?

Pipp wrote:
Are you sure she can see? 

She may have vision problems combined with arthritis, or she may be suffering the effects of a parasite like EC.

Please change her water every day. Fishing out the poops leaves the bad stuff in the water.

You can try giving her Panacur (for EC) and Metacam (for arthritis) but both require vet prescriptions.  The Metacam needs to be given only to a well-hydrated bunny with a full stomach.  (A bit of baby Motrin will do in a pinch). 

And do what you can to test her vision, although that's a vet thing as well.

Keep her stress free and warm.

Hope she's okay.

sas
Thanks Pipp, I just did the water thing to see if it'd go down, as even my mom was mentioning not seeing her drink much (we moved her crate to the living room to watch her)

I'll try testing her vision.. hoping thats the issue (bad thing to hope for, but it's better then the rest)

Brandy456 wrote:
I'll try testing her vision.. hoping thats the issue (bad thing to hope for, but it's better then the rest)
A vision issue unfortunately isn't better than the rest in terms of avoiding a vet visit or much else because it is a symptom of something else. There has to be a reason for a vision issue, and it too could be EC and/or a brain abscess among other things.

You really need a general exam by a vet. She may be suffering and you need to find out to what extent, and why, or at least rule out some things to better determine where to go from here.

sas

Woohoo! She's doing lots better today. This morning it was cold so I turned on the fireplace and put her cage near it. I went to walmart and got some fluffy bedding, to retain the warmth. I got home and changed her bedding, and she's now digging and having a merry ol' time. So we'll keep watching her over

A better way to determine her water intake would be to pour it out of the bowl and measure it in a measuring cup when you change it. She's not that old. I would check her nails as well.

Found out my SIL's friend is a vet.. who would've known.

She assesed her, and said the best bet it to put her down, she's suffering a lot. She fell over tonight when we had family over for a card game. She had her legs straight out and tried and tried but couldn't get up. I cried SO hard it wasn't funny. My moms boyfriend helped her up and she's been sitting in the same position ever since. Except that she fell again about 30 minutes later but that time after a couple tries she got up.

So we're looking for a vet (her friend isn't in work now) to put her down tomorrow . Can't find anyone that isn't considered 'emergency'

:(

They put her cage in my room, and i'll sleep in my mom's room tonight. They're worried it'll effect my depression or something. I don't know.
But they keep going to check on her. I just went in to get my PJ's and she was still sitting there. She fell over and called for my mom and left. She went and watched her.
I feel like such a coward, but I really just can't watch her in pain.

A lot of bunnies are lost at that age (according to your introduction post, she's five), and its sad. :( She doesn't sound very good, I'm sure you're doing the right thing.

But a nice vet might give her an exam and if there's nothing obvious, suggest something like a shot of antibiotics and doses of Metacam and Panacur for just a few days and then put her down for no extra charge if it doesn't look like it will work.

Its unlikely to be an easy fix so its a longshot, but the vets I know would suggest something like that if they couldn't pinpoint the problem. Its their call.

Sorry you're going through this. :(

sas :sad:

We counted out, and she had turned 6 on March 20th .

She's in my room right now, it's warm in there so it's good. She drank a bit.

Nothing is open today or tomorrow, so my mom's taking her Monday morning.

:(

Hopefully something can be done before putting her down. I think that she may have EC because she keeps falling over. Have the vet check for EC and any other problems before putting her down. They could give her antibiotics and other stuff for EC. Hope everything goes well and I am so sorry you are going through this.

Latest posts

Back