I don't know how to save my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tash

Reaction score
I took my 4 year old mini lop to the vet yesterday because she suddenly stopped eating yesterday morning. vet was unsure if it was a UTI or parasitic infection so we have medication for both. We also have medication for gas pain, cisapride for motility, other pain medication and I'm force feeding her critical care and water through the syringe. But still today she hasn't urinated or had any bowel movements. She's so still but still has energy to run from me when I bring her medication (poor thing doesn't love having the syringes in her mouth obviously).

I just don't know what to do. the Vet told me she should be fine but I'm scared she's going to die

Did the vet give you Regan? It normally helps get the intestines moving again. You can give her apple because I have heard that that can help rabbits use the restroom. Do you have simethicone? That helps rabbits pass gas and should also help with gas pain. What medicines did the vet give you? Did they take an x-ray?

If your rabbit isn't eating, there's a very good chance that her temperature has dropped. When that happens, it reinforces the cycle of not eating.

First, be sure sure you are giving your rabbit pediatric (oral) simethicone (as suggested above), i.e., gas medicine.

Second, if you are able or can learn, take your rabbit's temperature. If it is below 100.5F, you should start warming up your rabbit. The best way is with a hot-water bottle or microwavable bean-filled bag that you place on your lap, next to or under the bunny... who will struggle but you need to get her to settle in and get warmed up. If you can't do that, you can try a heat lamp.

There is a ton of info on the internet about how to massage a rabbit's stomach and how to heat up a rabbit in stasis. If you can, access those resources.

I would go back to the vet
Going back to the vet will just cost more money and the vet did not sound very experienced. Depending on what medicines the vet gave her the rabbit should recover.
@Tash, giving your rabbit tummy massages should also help with the pain. My rabbit hates them but some rabbits really enjoy getting their belly rubbed. Below is a video of how to properly give a belly massage.

I took my 4 year old mini lop to the vet yesterday because she suddenly stopped eating yesterday morning. vet was unsure if it was a UTI or parasitic infection so we have medication for both. We also have medication for gas pain, cisapride for motility, other pain medication and I'm force feeding her critical care and water through the syringe. But still today she hasn't urinated or had any bowel movements. She's so still but still has energy to run from me when I bring her medication (poor thing doesn't love having the syringes in her mouth obviously).

I just don't know what to do. the Vet told me she should be fine but I'm scared she's going to die

I have had a similar problem with my rabbit. We massaged his tummy and force-fed him some canned baby food(I think it was apple and kale? If you don't have any baby food, you can look up a recipe-- I think you mix water and pellets? I don't know the ratios though, so best look it up.) and he was all better. We also put him in his old cage(He's free-roam now) in a nice, quiet place. I think his problem was caused by gas because he had eaten a whole brussel sprout the day before.

You say you've been to the vet, though, so in this case, I think the best thing to do would be to just follow the vet's orders and hope for the best. I really hope she gets better!

Did the vet give you Regan? It normally helps get the intestines moving again. You can give her apple because I have heard that that can help rabbits use the restroom. Do you have simethicone? That helps rabbits pass gas and should also help with gas pain. What medicines did the vet give you? Did they take an x-ray?

The vet has given us panacur, metacam, cisapride, ranitidine, baytril, metoclopramide, simethicone. she said an x-ray would only be needed if she doesnt get better in a month.

I have had a similar problem with my rabbit. We massaged his tummy and force-fed him some canned baby food(I think it was apple and kale? If you don't have any baby food, you can look up a recipe-- I think you mix water and pellets? I don't know the ratios though, so best look it up.) and he was all better. We also put him in his old cage(He's free-roam now) in a nice, quiet place. I think his problem was caused by gas because he had eaten a whole brussel sprout the day before.

You say you've been to the vet, though, so in this case, I think the best thing to do would be to just follow the vet's orders and hope for the best. I really hope she gets better!

i'll deff try apple then! does it matter what kind? and i'll give her a massage too

Going back to the vet will just cost more money and the vet did not sound very experienced. Depending on what medicines the vet gave her the rabbit should recover.
@Tash, giving your rabbit tummy massages should also help with the pain. My rabbit hates them but some rabbits really enjoy getting their belly rubbed. Below is a video of how to properly give a belly massage.

thank you for linking this, doing it rn

i'll deff try apple then! does it matter what kind? and i'll give her a massage too

No, any type of apple is OK in proportion, Just be sure to only feed your rabbit the fruit part of the apple. No seeds! The seeds contain toxins, which can kill your bunny!

If you want to try to get your bunny to eat anything else, Try offering her her favorite foods. Most rabbits enjoy bananas, blueberries, and kale quite a bit. For more information about suitable things to feed your bunny, use this article from the house rabbit society: https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

I really hope your bun gets better!

Oops, I just realized I linked the wrong page!
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

No, any type of apple is OK in proportion, Just be sure to only feed your rabbit the fruit part of the apple. No seeds! The seeds contain toxins, which can kill your bunny!

If you want to try to get your bunny to eat anything else, Try offering her her favorite foods. Most rabbits enjoy bananas, blueberries, and kale quite a bit. For more information about suitable things to feed your bunny, use this article from the house rabbit society: [URL]https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/
I really hope your bun gets better!
[/URL]

I would not give her banana or blueberry just because it is high in sugar. A little bit of apple should not hurt, but lots of fruits can. Kale would be good, but Romanie or dark leaf lettuce would be best.

Try greens, moistened with water... cilantro and romaine, fennel if you can get some. If she won't eat apple, give her applesauce with the syringe. The baby food applesauce is especially good for the syringe and I have found it to help a lot in getting them to eat. As others said, take temperature -- if cold, warm her. A good rule -- are her ears warm? If not, she is not warm.

if anyone cared for an update at all, Georgia's actually having bowel movements, urinating and even munching on some hay! Its not a ton but thank you to everyone for making so many helpful suggestions. I know every little thing helped save her :)

Yaay! That's awesome.
I would not give her banana or blueberry just because it is high in sugar. A little bit of apple should not hurt, but lots of fruits can. Kale would be good, but Romanie or dark leaf lettuce would be best.

And while you certainly should NOT give blueberries, bananas, or apples to your bun in large quantities, if given in variation they are more than safe; it's like humans and candy: you don't want to eat too much, but a tiny bit every once in a while never hurt anyone.

One of the best ways to know if your bun has GI Stasis or if it's just being picky/not hungry to try to tempt it with a favorite food!

Latest posts

Back