I can't take this heat anymore!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myLoki

Reaction score
2005_1001random0051.jpg

My poor Rotty pup! I don't know what else to do for him. My poor baby. I have a kiddie pool for him, a mister (releases mist into his area), I wet the ground where he lays, he gets a bath twice a day, and gets fresh water twice a day with ice in it. He's not allowed inside.He's getting old (he's 10) and I don't think he's going to be able to stand the heat for much longer. Here's the weather for today. This has been going on for a month and a half and it is only going to get worse. It doesn't start cooling off here until October.

SPE.gif
Special Weather Statement
SPE.gif
Statement as of 7:00 AM CDT on July 22, 2009

... Heat index values expected to reach 105 to 110 degrees this
afternoon...

Above normal temperatures will continue to combine with
moderately high afternoon humidity values to produce heat index
values of 105 to 110 degrees during the peak heating hours this
afternoon across much of the lower Rio Grande Valley and deep
south Texas.

Heat index values around 90 degrees were already occurring in
some locations across deep south Texas this morning. Very warm
temperatures and high humidity across the lower Rio Grande Valley
will provide heat index values of 95 to 100 degrees later this
morning as temperatures quickly climb from the warm temperatures
currently across the area.

Drink plenty of water... before you get thirsty. Wear lightweight
and light colored clothing. Reserve strenuous exercise for evening
hours. Take frequent breaks from the heat. Stay in air conditioned
locations if possible. Do not leave children or pets unattended in
vehicles under any circumstances. This is especially true during
warm or hot weather when vehicle interiors can reach lethal
temperatures in a matter of minutes.

Poor doggy :( Its 30* here this week and my dog isn't liking it. He getting a hair cut soon so hopefully that helps a bit.

For your guy, keep doing what you are doing. Make sure he has shade and lots of water. You could try freezing some pop bottles filled with water for him. That way he can lay on/by them to cool down. Or you can even buy flat ice packs, which would work better for lying on. Freeze wet towels also works.

I feel for you - I really do - we're not far behind you as far as the temps go...

I went from my house to my car - my car to Walmart - back to the car - then into another store - then back to my car - then from the car to the house...

and burned part of my nose the other day....just from that.

Why can't he come inside? If not the whole house, what about the just the kitchen or something? If you can't stand the temperature, neither can he :(. If he's older, it probably isn't good for him to be working hard to cool off.

It's not my house. He's never been an inside dog. When it's cold he stays in the laundry room for warmth, but the laundry room is not air conditioned so it would truly be worse for him to be in there. When we do make him go in there during winter, he cries and cries. He likes to run around outside and him being an indoor dog is just not an option. :(

t.

Can you get him a fan to blow cool air on him?

Another thing I see in your OP that he is in the shade, if at all possible keep him in the shade, it will keep him cooler and he should be able to tolerate the heat. Also maybe keep a 5 gallon bucket of water in the shade so that he has access to cool water.

It is what my mom did for her animals when it was really hot out and they were outside.

Can your dog be anywhere else in the house? Is your house air conditioned? Maybe he could be inside when it is really hot outside, and go outside when it cools down.

I think I can try to get an extension cord for a fan but I think that might be a little dangerous because of the mister.

He has the entire run of the backyard with a gazebo (spends most of his time there because it's tiled and is much cooler) and lots of shade given by trees and the house itself. He has a ten gallon bucket that gets switched out twice a day and its under the gazebo so that it stays cool. The main house is air conditioned, but there is no way my parents will allow him to come inside. They say he is fine with all the measures we take.

My parents are great animal lovers. They let me keep my little dogs inside and my two rabbits, but having CJ inside is not an option. I don't think he would be very happy inside anyway. During the winter we keep him in the laundry room which is very warm in the winters because of the water heater and the dryer in there, and he absolutely hates it.

Don't get me wrong my parents love him deeply. He's my parents dog. They just won't allow him inside because he's not house broken and he's just happier outside. They believe that everything we do for him is enough which I think it is too but now that he's much older, I'm scared. We've had him for so long (since he was 8 weeks) and the life expectancy for a Rotty is not very long. He's endured ten summers with us now and I just want to make sure we're doing everything we can do for him.

Inside is just not an option and they will not budge.

Sweetie wrote:
Can you get him a fan to blow cool air on him?

Another thing I see in your OP that he is in the shade, if at all possible keep him in the shade, it will keep him cooler and he should be able to tolerate the heat. Also maybe keep a 5 gallon bucket of water in the shade so that he has access to cool water.

It is what my mom did for her animals when it was really hot out and they were outside.

Can your dog be anywhere else in the house? Is your house air conditioned? Maybe he could be inside when it is really hot outside, and go outside when it cools down.

My cat Britches is 14 years old and the heat here in Bremerton is not good for him and/or the other animals. My mom has 4 cats and 1 dog. So I understand about the heat thing. I hope that Britches will make it through this summer and next summer.

How long is the life expectancy for a rotty?

His life expectancy is from 9-12 years. He is mixed with Labrador. His mom was a Lab/Rotty mix and his dad was pure Rotty. His dad died at 9 years old and his mom at 11 years so he's right there. :( Vet says he's strong and healthy and he still acts very much like a pup. He loves to climb into your lap like he's my 4 lb Chihuahua. He's great with my little dogs, but I've never let him even be within 10 feet of my rabbits. That's another reason he can't be inside. Loki and Lily would have heart attacks!

t.

I see that and understand that very well. I always watch my Sweetie whenever I have her over at my mom's with me because of the cats and dog. The dog is about the size of a husky, and the cats are normal size cats.

Best of luck to you and your dog. Hope that the heat will cool off soon.

I just thought of something, maybe you can take a hose and spray him down with water, that may keeep him cool during the heat.

Oh definitely a cutie!

He gets hosed down twice a day. Lol that's what I meant by bath. Its so funny because he hates getting wet, but I tell him its best that he hold still and let me cool him off. We actually have a poncho out there by the hose because he LOVES to shake himself off as close to you as possible in order to drench you and let you know that he is very unhappy about being wet. The little booger tries to hide from me when he sees me reach for the hose! :grumpy:

t.

LOL! :p NOOOOOO! That's what the poncho is for! He gets the satisfaction of THINKING he got me. My mom would kill me if I was doing that much laundry!

t.

Sweetie wrote:
Maybe you can get wet with him. He might like getting wet better if you were to get wet also.

Dogs cool down by panting and through sweat glands in their feet. Hosing him down, especially his chest, will certainly help.
Keep an eye out for heatstroke. I work in an animal hospital and we've seen a number of animals already this summer with heatstroke and have also had to put some of them down - when they get that hot, it basically cooks their brain.

One way to keep him cool would be to put rubbing alcohol on his pads. It evaporates faster than water and cools them down faster.

Latest posts

Back