I can't handle my bunny anymore

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofita

Reaction score
Guys please help!!!
6 months ago we got a Lion head. She is almost a year old now. She has been free roam since we got her however the damage getting worse and worse. The problem is she addicted to wall and our sofa. We are doing everything we can to distract her but it is impossible. She just like addicted. I tried to ignore her. But she keeps eating the sofa and wall. It might be toxic for her. She basically try to eat every part of the sofa; wooden part, fabric part and if we let her to go under the sofa she even eats the floor which is made out of kind of special stone in order to provide decent floor heating. We bought her bunny pen and she started to chewing and shaking pen. Since our house has two rooms it is important to sleep because of the voice. Then we had started to use pen to surround our sofa to keep her out. However now she is biting and shaking again to reach sofa. I don't know what to buy i can't handle anymore. We do everything we can. She has at least 5 different toys but usually not interested. Please help

I would limit her territory and I see you did too, if she's not interested in her toys maybe give her something different, make her a tower of a cardboard so she can destroy it, make her a digging box etc. Photo of your setup would help too
Some ideas for cardboard towers or just give her a large box filled with brown paper works too
https://www.google.ie/search?q=card...U6TRUIHWT-Bs0Q_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1422&bih=678

Last edited:
I will try to make digging box. Thank you for the advise :) What kind of paper should I use? Once I tried to do it with newspaper, however she started to eat papers instead of digging and I paniced because of the ink that paper includes.

My girlfriend had the same issue. Her rabbit was eating baseboards, furniture, and once was found chewing on an electric cord. She tried tin foil, distractions, toys, everything she could think of. She finally put hot sauce on everything. It worked! Bunny didn’t like the taste. Eventually everything could get wiped down and bunny didn’t chew any more.

My girlfriend had the same issue. Her rabbit was eating baseboards, furniture, and once was found chewing on an electric cord. She tried tin foil, distractions, toys, everything she could think of. She finally put hot sauce on everything. It worked! Bunny didn’t like the taste. Eventually everything could get wiped down and bunny didn’t chew any more.

Do you know the brand of the sauce? Although she is more than annoying I still love her and dont want to hurt her.

Have you spayed your rabbit? That definitely tends to help in these situations!
This article might help! https://www.thesprucepets.com/train-rabbit-not-to-chew-everything-1239292

Also you can buy c&c grids to wrap around your walls as a way of bunny proofing your home.

Thank you for your help :) I couldnt spray her. We took her to the vet and he said, you shouldnt do it because rabbits can not tolarate anesthesia well. Although most of the people says you should do it, I am afraid now because of the vet :( And I postponed it.
Also she is a lion head I read lion heads are more destructive than other bunnies. I think this is her personality. When I try to hold her she tries to escape every time but she is not afraid of me after 3-4 seconds she comes back. I think she is just stubborn :D

I will try to make a digging box. Thank you for the advice What kind of paper should I use? Once I tried to do it with the newspaper, however, she started to eat papers instead of digging and I panicked because of the ink that paper includes.
I think it is fine if she eats the newspaper. I give crumbled pieces as toys for Theo. You can shred it or an old phone book and put it in a box.
Also, I would use the grids to protect your furniture and walls (like these:https://www.amazon.com/AHOME-Storag...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GW6CP4C421ZRAGMT0MD0). Make sure you use zip ties instead of the attachment pieces because they do not work well.
I would NOT use hot sauce. That could be very dangerous and possibly fatal.
She should be spayed. Find a spay and neuter facility and ask if they do rabbits. I got Theo neutered for $50 at a spay/neuter facility. Spaying will help a lot with destructive issues, litter box habits, and females have a high chance of cancer by age 2.
Also, @zupper said that a tower would be fun, and I agree. Here is a link to one that is nice: https://www.amazon.com/Furhaven-Pet...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X7H05BH7CGP31RCS6X40.

I buy long boxes like tunnels and put they behind furniture such as couches, the bunnies prefer to run through them and it can save some wear and tear on the furniture. Putting balled up brown paper or newspaper into them so the bunnies have to remove them can help keep them busy from time to time as well.

Rabbits chew wires, they look like vines that get in bunnies clearway that they chew in long grass. By instinct rabbits will chew the wire to clear the way. I have not had any luck with hot sauce, bitters, etc etc because bunny sees, bunny chews. putting wires up high or taping them against the wall can help.

I put cardboard or wood corners on walls and furniture if the bunny is drawn to them. Some rabbits are corner chewers, others not as much. Making castles and tunnels out of cardboard helps a lot, also having wooden cubbies the bunnies can go in and under or cardboard houses to play in and climb on.

I have had some rabbits that would randomly chew on walls, doors, paint. Like not corners, just the wall. I discovered they were seeking salt and when I gave them a salt lick a few days a week they stopped that. I try to provide bunnies with things that are safe for them to chew on in places that they would normally be destructive. They like to chew things they perceive as in their way, so giving them lots of things to housekeep with often helps.

Phone books, paperback novels with the cover pulled off, toilet paper rolls, sea grass mats, bunny safe branches are all appreciated. I also let them play with the big paper bags their litter (yesterday's news) comes in.

Thank you so much guys I gave her a towel and cardboard box. She kind of stopped chewing the sofa. However, she is still chewing the wall. I hope she will stop after spraying :)

Thank you so much guys I gave her a towel and cardboard box. She kind of stopped chewing the sofa. However, she is still chewing the wall. I hope she will stop after spraying :)

If your vet is worried about doing the spay procedure, it might be a good idea to seek out another vet. Find one that has done many spays and is more experienced. It is the experience that minimizes the risk.

I don't know if you have anything like a rabbit rescue in Belgium, but if you do, they likely have a favored vet they use to do all of their neuter/spay surgeries. That could be a source for a vet reference.

Latest posts

Back