I can't get Sisi out of her cage. *Help*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsMySimi

Reaction score
Well, as I am bonding Simi and Sisi right now, I need to take them both out of thier cages. Simi will move out of the way, but she will let me take her out. As for Sisi... She won't come out (she used to no problem...) and if I put my hand in she will do one of the following and sometimes all of them:
a/ Grunt at me
b/ Squeek at me
c/ Lunge at me...

She always used to like coming out, then a while ago she went througha false pregnancie, and shes been this way since... But heres what gets me... She will come out for my sister and father, but not me. I am the one that feeds her waters her, and cleans her cage, and opens her door to let her out to play, but she will not come out... Arrrghhh.... Any tips on what I can do to fix this, or any reason why shes doing it? I have tried bribing her with food, just trying ot let her come out on her own, and I have tried just reaching in to cathc her (as a last resort)...

Help? Please?!

Shay, Simi, Sisi, and "no-namer"

That's what I was thinking :)Could be jealousy too ;)Wiggles pouted and gave me the cold shoulder for weeks after I got Dahlia. Lol

It does sound like hormones (being cage territorial) or that she sees you as some sort of threat or predator.

You could try just opening the cage and allowing her to come out by herself.

Something else you could try is thick gloves so that whatever she does to you it doesn't hurt and she will soon realises that it has no effect.

Something else I used with my territorial bun, Moon, was to use what I called a 'dominance sock'. I dangled it over her and let her attack it until she stopped attacking it, and did this for a few days until when I put it in she didn't attack at all because she knew it would not move and it would have no effect. Then as time went by I started to drape it over her, to slowly edge my hand inside, and use it to help me pick her up. It took a month or so, but she came out very easily in the end.

When you approach her cage, approach it as low as possible (so that she doesn't see you as a predator), i.e. at a crawl, so that you are not approaching from above.

Another thing to try would be to wear something smelling of the people that she is ok with.

Bunnies have different relationships with different bunnies. It's not anything personal against you, so please don't feel it is, this is just normal rabbit behaviour.

Have you read 'The Language of Lagomorphs'? It's really good and gives great help with bunny behaviour.

I haven't read it, but will try to find it to read.

I know it may be hormones, but if it is, I can not afford to get her spayed. Sisi was a spur of the moment (I know, it's bad to act on impluse, please don't yell at me) and with 9 horses 20 some goats, 10 sheep, 7 dogs, 6 cats, and 3 bunnies we can't afford to pay close to $200 to have a free bunny spayed. I know many are against not spaying, but this is my personal decision to not have her spayed.

I will try some of these ideas, but I doubt it will work... I'm going to try to go get her out now, and see what happens...

Also, just a question here, but if it is hormones, do you think breeding her may help? I don't plan on breeding her, but I was just wondering if it may help.

I don't see why anyone would yell at you. You are making an informed decision, so I can't see why people would get annoyed at that.

My bunny was not spayed and she got much better when she realised that i was in charge.

If you google 'Language of Lagomorphs' then it will be there on google.

As for breeding, we bred a territorial bunny and she became the soppiest bunny we owned. but that is no guarantee that that would happen of course, and that would also put a spanner in the works of her and Simi breeding.

To be honest, I think that I will try what you offered, and try to make sure she knows I am the boss, and if that doesn't work, I may see about breeding her.

As it is now, I have to put a stop to bonding her and Simi because I can't get her out of the cage unless my sister or father is home... So....... I dont really know... I'm really upset about this, not sure why,I just am...

From now on all my pet rabbits will be bucks.

It's ok to be upset, but it's important to know it's nothing personal, even though it feels like it. She sees you differently from how she sees others because you do things for her.

Another thing to try is breaking the cycle, because rabbits can be creatures of habit, so maybe try and get someone else to feed her and go near her hutch more.

Bucks can be just as vile. I have a buck that has torn chunks out of me, clamped onto my hand and hung on, launches at me whenever I go near, and he is not like that with anyone else. So there is no guaranteed gender that is better, it is just each individual bunny.

Thanks, I know its nothing personal, I have just been easy to get going the past little while.

I will try, but I am truly sad to say that with how emotinoal I am, if I can't fix itI may have to get rid of her... :( Which I really really REALLY dont want to do...

I will try everything and anything... Even if that means breeding her...:?

A spay would work, and I understand your decision not to do that, however, saving money up for it would mean that she could get rid of her hormones and you and her could still be friends.

Remember that you might have problems with Simi too when she gets hormonal, it's just part of how rabbits are.

As for feeling low at the moment, I don't want to pry too much but if you want to chat, then my PM box is always open. There are loads of productive ways to help yourself feel better, so hang in there :)

Thanks, and just let me say here, me saying I will get rid of her is just because I am upset and feeling low... I wouldn't get rid of her, but I may breed her.... And if all else fails, save money for the rest of my teen years to get her spayed...:(:?

I'm sorry that Simi is acting this way. :( I would advise you to save up money to spay both of the girls. I doubt breeding her will fix her attitude problem because she will remain hormonal and it could possibly make her even more aggressive. It would also bring on a lot of risks. A lot of people have encountered unexpected complications when breeding their beloved pets. Also, if you don't have the money for a spay, you won't have the money to take her or her babies to the vet if they get sick.

t.

ThatsMySimi wrote:
Thanks, and just let me say here, me saying I will get rid of her is just because I am upset and feeling low... I wouldn't get rid of her, but I may breed her.... And if all else fails, save money for the rest of my teen years to get her spayed...:(:?

Hang in there! It's okay to get frustrated. I've been going through a tough time with one of our cats who is suddenly peeing EVERYWHERE. We are trying all weknow to deal with it, but there have been days when I just got so fed up I told my husband I was going to have her euthanized. NO, I never would. I love her far too much...and I'd hate myself if I just gave up on her...but I sure felt like it at the time. It's normal to feel upset when things are going wrong and you can't figure out what to do.

Since you can't spay Sisi at this time (I totally understand, Gingivere was 3 before we had her spayed.), you are going to have to deal with the behavior. And spaying really doesn't guarantee a change in the behavior anyway. Moominmoo and others have given you some good suggestions. Just keep trying them and everything else you can think of. You never know when you'll find the perfect solution!

Good luck!

-Mary Ellen

Simi is fine, its Sisi thats being a pain (I can understand how you got them mixed up :p) I know I need to save up the money, and I think thats what I plan on doing....

Oops! Sorry. I was refering to Sisi. I made a little typo. :biggrin2:

t.

ThatsMySimi wrote:
Simi is fine, its Sisi thats being a pain (I can understand how you got them mixed up :p) I know I need to save up the money, and I think thats what I plan on doing....

Based on my experience with my lionheads - breeding her will make her lunge more and more territorial because now she has something she needs to protect.

So no ... I wouldn't breed her as it WON'T stop this behavior...it will probably only increase it.

Peg

ThatsMySimi wrote:
Also, just a question here, but if it is hormones, do you think breeding her may help? I don't plan on breeding her, but I was just wondering if it may help.

I forget how long you've had her - but let me share about my experiences with Miss Bea.

She was the doe from Hades....she hated anyone going in her cage, etc. Unfortunately, I got her to breed her and I bred her within a few days of getting her here.

BIG MISTAKE. I now had 30 days to get her to accept me being in her cage and to tolerate us (she was 9 months old or so).

All four of us made an effort to open her cage door EVERY time we walked through the rabbitry to let the dog in or out. We would open her cage door and when she lunged at us - we'd hold her head down and say "no". We said it nicely...but we were firm with her and let her know she could NOT lunge at us. We literally put her in a submissive pose by briefly holding her head down. Yes - she tried to bite and lunge and yes - we did get bit. We did it anyway.

After a few days - she stopped lunging at us. Great - now we wanted her to start accepting us. So I started putting a cheerio in her cage whenever I opened the door. I didn't hand it to her - just put it in there.

Once she started seeing us as having treats - we started handing them to her randomly....she got maybe 4-5 cheerios a day. Yes, I know .. not the best thing. But hey - I was willing to do something that might not seem the best...to get her to trust us.

We also started petting her and trying to see what she liked for pets (she likes to have her ears rubbed).

By the time her babies came - she wasn't lunging at us and she allowed us in the cage. She wasn't thrilled about it - but she had learned that we weren't "the enemy".

You may want to try something like that - only maybe use a baby carrot or something - to entice her out of her cage.

You have to remember - if this is the rabbit I'm thinking of - she's the second rabbit you got - right? Not the first?

She probably sees herself as going on someone else's territory....and that's a scary thing. What if someone else (other rabbit) is going to attack her for it?

Just try to see things through her eyes and remember it can take weeks and weeks and MONTHS of patience to work with a rabbit...but it is so worth it!

Peg

ThatsMySimi wrote:
Thanks, I know its nothing personal, I have just been easy to get going the past little while.

I will try, but I am truly sad to say that with how emotinoal I am, if I can't fix itI may have to get rid of her... :( Which I really really REALLY dont want to do...

I will try everything and anything... Even if that means breeding her...:?

Sisi is at the age that ALL bunnies go through their hormonal stage. She's territorial and protective of her cage and her stuff - it's not abnormal for this to happen.

It would be unfortunate for you to get rid of her or even consider it based on the fact that
a) the territorial behaviour will likely lessen in time as she grows out of it - you just need to have some patience
b) spaying will likely decrease the territorial behavior, but as you choose not to spay, you are choosing to deal with hormonal bunnies - can't really have it both ways unfortunately.
c) You should probably save up to get the buns fixed if you are really concerned about the behavior ... and the more bunnies you get... the more money it's going ot cost.

Breeding is a bad idea. Sisi is your pet and there can be many things that go wrong during a delivery - then either you will lose sisi or you will spend way more than a spay to try to save her. The result of a successfulbirth is a whole lot of additional unwanted bunnies, bunnies you sell/give as pets that are taking homes away from shelter bunnies,or if you choose to keep them, then you will have a litter of potentially hormonal bunnies on your hands and now your problem has grown exponentially.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across a bit mean, I don't mean to, but you should really keep this stuff in mind.

In answer to your actual question, I would just open up the cage door and then leave - don't reach in (she'll just stop trusting you), just let her be and she'll come out if she wants to. You may have to give her some space just because she really is going through hormonal upheaval and at this age they usually have their own agenda. :)

;)

Edit: I just re-read my post and it really does sound like I am picking on you - and I just wanted to say that I'm not, I just really don't want anyone else reading this thread and thinking that breeding is the solution to a hormonal bunny... cause it's really not.

I definitely understand your frustrations, most of us have been there. This is why anyone who knows rabbits suggests spaying and neutering. It greatly reduces aggression and territorial behavior. Not to mention the health benefits for females.

Definitely try some of the things that have been suggested here. Hopefully the longer she is with you the more she will begin to trust you.

I understand about the cost of spaying, but its definitely something you should at least consider saving up for. Have you called around to local rescues to see if anyone offers a discount spay/neuter program? Sometimes Humane Societies will do this.

Regardless, please please please do not breed her. If you cannot afford a spay I doubt you could afford veterinary care for a pregnant doe or her babies.

I know you love your bunnies very much and youre trying to do whats best. Let us know if theres anything we can do to help.

Great advice, Peg!

I agree that breeding her won't necessarily help with her behavioral problems. And even if she does settle down instead of becoming more protective, chances are she will go back to her old ways once the babies are gone and she "wants to breed" again. Also... would you really want to breed an animal that you consider to have personality problems? Some of that might be genetic, and could have an influence on the personality of the babies.

Also, I forget how old Sisi is and how long you've had her? Rabbits are on their worst behavior in their "teenage" time. This is from puberty till maybe a year or so, depending on the rabbit. They tend to calm down after this with or without spaying, but spaying will help the most. So give her time, be patient, and do what you can to save your money up. Is there no way your parents could help you? Maybe suggest it as a Christmas or birthday present? If it's too much for that, ask them to just contribute to the "spay fund."

I forget, what is her cage like? I've found that the larger the cage, the more comfortable my aggressive girls are. When it is big enough they will also stake out a smaller "safe space" such as their favorite sleeping spot under the shelf and will defend that instead of defending the whole cage. All three of my girls are/were aggressive, ranging from "Protecting clean water and hay" Fey to "Don't you dare invade my personal space!" Princess Mocha. Oh, and "Don't touch me!!!" Sprite.;)

I'm thinking that the reason she reacts more to you is because you are the one who invades her space. You don't see it like that, but she does. If she won't leave the cage, try luring her out with treats. Feed her out of your hand a lot, even if it's just part of her regular ration of pellets and veggies fed by hand through her cage bars. And do what you can to clean her cage while she's out of it. Make sure she has something in her play area to keep her distracted if she gets upset, such as a new cardboard box stuffed with hay and newspaper.

Here's the link to the "Language of Lagomorphs"
http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

And you'll find more info in Bunny 101:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12319&forum_id=17

Latest posts

Back