I can't decide

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peapoo_bunny wrote:
magicapple wrote:
pet land told me about a rabbit. they call it peter rabbit. It'ssuppose to say small and very friendly becuz it's sick and it can'tsmell or something like that.
i wouldnt trust anything apetstore told you...when we bought peapoo the petstore told us thatrabbits dont like to climb or jump up on anything...thats the biggestlie ive ever heard! boy were they wrong!! ive never heard of that kindof rabbit...but i could be wrong:dunno
maybe they are lying.They are selling that rabbit for 100$. and I don't think it's beennutered.

magicapple wrote:
Thats what my friend thinks too. They also think i'm wastingmoney on my rabbit. Oh yea what do you do about the wires around yourhome? And can't rabbit use a cleaner way to mark their territorys? Idon't go pooping in my room to tell everyone that its my room.:X
i blocked the wires and everything of by putting a barrier in front ofthem...blocking my bunnies from getting to them...i used NIC cubes forthis...ill try to get a picture in a minute after my camera is charged..

oh and the poop thing...i dont think you'll be able to tell your bunnyto stop..but i think getting him neutered would help..im notsure..hopefully someone else can tell you...but petey is neutered andhe always poops in the litterbox and nowhere else..peapoo is the onethat poos everywhere

magicapple wrote:
:dunnomaybe they are lying. They are selling that rabbit for100$. and I don't think it's been nutered.
wow! $100!!! thatsexpensive for a petstore bunny! one froma breeder maybe, but one from apetstore... i dont know who would pay that. i might if it was neutered

peapoo_bunny wrote:
magicapple wrote:
:dunnomaybe they are lying. They are selling that rabbit for100$. and I don't think it's been nutered.
wow! $100!!! thatsexpensive for a petstore bunny! one froma breeder maybe, but one from apetstore... i dont know who would pay that. i might if it wasneutered
I saw this yellowlish neutered rabbit. That's therabbit I saw and I decided to get a rabbit. But I didn't get that onebecuz I wanted a rabbit around easter. soemwhere in april and mostpetland won't see me the rabbit unless I buy the rabbit kit. But Iaready have a cage and everythign from petco. So the only petland thatI found and it allowed me to buy rabbit without buying the kit was theone where I bought my rabbit. Most of my friend told me to be patience.But I'm never patience so I just bought that one I have now. If I didmore shopping and went to more petland and maybe even a few sheltersi'll probably have the rabbit I like now. I won't even need to startthis forum.

peapoo_bunny wrote:
but i thought you just said you liked your rabbit now? youlike him now dont you?
he's okay. But if he start gettingperverted(horny) like what happens to the other rabbits. I don't knowwhat i'm going to do. Lol.:laugh:

getting him neutered will probably fixthat...but you said he was at least 8 or 9 months, so i would thinkhe's past that...but im no expert on that sort of thing:D

peapoo_bunny wrote:
i blocked the wires and everything of by putting a barrier in front ofthem...blocking my bunnies from getting to them...i used NIC cubes forthis...ill try to get a picture in a minute after my camera is charged..

ok i got some pictures of how i blocked of the wires and anything else i dont want the bunnies getting to

heres where ive got the bottom of my bed blocked of..i didnt want them eating the mattress under my bed
pete.jpg

heres how the bookshelf is blocked of..they were going behind it andshredding thecarpet..
pete5.jpg

and heres a picture of petey on my bed that i just took...all thoseblankets are so he wont eat mycomforter
pete3.jpg

and heres how their cage is now that it isnt divided..
pete2.jpg

i have to admit that my room has gone to the bunnies...it belongstothem now..that dumb cage is bigger than my bed! and theyget free run of the whole room all thetime...these bunniesare taking over! lol:D

Hmm. I don't think a petstore would sell a sickrabbit for $100, even if it was small. Anyways,so it soundslike you are going to keep him? I think you really should look intorabbit behavoir sites, so you don't get mixed messages about hisbehavoir. If you jsut realized he's calm and friendly and not a meanrabbit, you have some catching up to do :D. Here's a few sites I'dHIGHLY recommend you reading:

For a starters, look around and read some articles on this website: http://www.rabbit.org

On behavoir:

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1451/behavior.html

A good one.. *read this for sure

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

I know it's a lot to read, but the more you understand about rabbits,the more you'll (hopefully) learn to love them and the less likely hisbehavoir will come off as mean to you, but come off as natural.

Again, I'd strongly recommend getting him neutered. He'll calm downconsiderably and be a much more pleasant rabbit to be with, althoughhe's a darling at the moment still!

If by chance you decide to get rid of him, I wouldn't suggest gettinganother bunny still, I think you have way too much to stillmorelearn about rabbits in general before taking on anotherrabbit:). But for now, keep looking up rabbit information!

There are worse things than pooping to markterritory...weadoptedour lop at 11 months old...hewas mature and decided to claim me as his. So he startedspraying me whenever he could, mostly my hair and myclothing. I was washing my hair/showering up to 6 times aday. He also sprayed the walls, carpets, cage, everythingthat couldn't get away. That was before we even startedbonding him. After being neutered it took about 3 months forhim to completely stop spraying things and marking histerritory. The nice thing about spaying/neutering rabbits isthe health factor. Up to 85% of females will develop someform of cancer by the age of 3. The same applies for malesthough not as high a percentage.

I've heard of Peter's rabbits before.It's not a breed. It's a brand name. It'ssick. The company is a rabbit mill, just like the kitten andpuppy mills that you see on the news. They mass-producerabbits and sell them to pet stores across the country. I'veheard they spay/neuter their baby rabbits before they sellthem. Most vets won't spay/neuter a rabbit until the boy'stesticles have dropped (3 months old or older) or the girl is 4 months,usually they wait till they're 6 months old. This placeneuters them when they're tiny babies! It might actuallycause permanent damage to them because they don't get the righthormones as they grow. And it's certainly not a happy thingfor the bunnies.

By buying one of these rabbits you would be supporting an abusive millbreeder. Rabbits should be spayed/neutered, but at theappropriate age. And I don't agree with breeding animals forquantity over quality.

In any case, a second rabbit would not be a good idea foryou. If you want a second rabbit after you get this oneneutered and learn to take care of him, adopt one from ashelter. It would already be spayed/neutered and you'd besaving a life. Shelters often have baby rabbits too, becausepeople abandon pregnant females and new litters a lot.

naturestee wrote:
I've heard of Peter's rabbits before. It's not abreed. It's a brand name. It's sick. Thecompany is a rabbit mill, just like the kitten and puppy mills that yousee on the news. They mass-produce rabbits and sell them topet stores across the country. I've heard they spay/neutertheir baby rabbits before they sell them. Most vets won'tspay/neuter a rabbit until the boy's testicles have dropped (3 monthsold or older) or the girl is 4 months, usually they wait till they're 6months old. This place neuters them when they're tinybabies! It might actually cause permanent damage to thembecause they don't get the right hormones as they grow. Andit's certainly not a happy thing for the bunnies.

By buying one of these rabbits you would be supporting an abusive millbreeder. Rabbits should be spayed/neutered, but at theappropriate age. And I don't agree with breeding animals forquantity over quality.

In any case, a second rabbit would not be a good idea foryou. If you want a second rabbit after you get this oneneutered and learn to take care of him, adopt one from ashelter. It would already be spayed/neutered and you'd besaving a life. Shelters often have baby rabbits too, becausepeople abandon pregnant females and new litters a lot.
IfI get a 2nd on i'll probably get a neutered male. But I can'treally find a lot of shelters around where I live.

Minilops- I agree with you completely. I've read this thread and been like :shock2: If I was that poor rabbit grr.

Ok. Petland.... I HATE that petstore more than any other petstore I'veever been to... its where I bought Fluffy andFlopsy. All they tell you is lies. They talk you into buyinga very small cage. They tell everyone that their rabbitswon't grow very big... my rabbits are now like five times the size thatthey were when I got them. Everyone that I know that owns arabbit from that store has been told the wrong gender and hasproblems. Flopsy had maloccusion and Fluffy & othershave had a head tilt thing going on. :mad: I am forno one buying anything from that store.. ever!!!!!! :X

-----------------------------------------------
Ah yes I suggest saving up for an NIC cage. I love mine. Andyeah when you are a deeply involved pet owner... all of your friendswill think your crazy. But I think it is all worth it.

-Ashley :no: & Flopsy :bunnyangel: & Fluffy :bunnybutt:

magicapple wrote:
If I get a 2nd on i'll probably get a neuteredmale. But I can't really find a lot of shelters around whereI live.
I know i said i wouldnt post here anymore, but i just cant help it -did you just say If you get a second rabbit??? Doyourself and that poor next rabbit a favor, for the love of all that isgood, and DON'T GET A SECOND RABBIT!!

God I wish I could yell at your parents.

magicapple wrote:
If I get a 2nd on i'll probably get a neuteredmale. But I can't really find a lot of shelters around whereI live.
I suggest not doing that any time soon. You need to spend a lot of timewith this rabbit and learn to read him and bond with him before you areready for another.

I also hope that if you do get another, you are completely prepared tohouse them separately for the rest of their lives which means you needa cage and you need to make sure you have the time for 2 separaterabbits. Not only that, you cannot bring home a rabbit from astore/shelter and just put him in your rabbits cage and hope they getalong, I can almost guarentee fighting!

I would say 9/10 times a neutered and un-neutered male will fight. andI would say that only 4/10 times (if not less), you can sucessfullybond 2 neutered males with a LOT of patience. That's a 90% chance theywil fight and a 60%+ chance that they will not bond at all.

I have 2 males that were bonded together for 7 months. They wereneutered for 5 monthsbeforethey started fighting tothe deathone day out of the blue. Ever since then I have beenunable to put them together without a disasterous result but they arestill both living with me, just in separate cages.

So I definitely say NO to a second until you are prepared for twice thework, twice the time, twice the money, and twice the cages.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
magicapple wrote:
If I get a2nd on i'll probably get a neutered male. But I can't reallyfind a lot of shelters around where I live.
I suggest not doing that any time soon. You need to spend a lot of timewith this rabbit and learn to read him and bond with him before you areready for another.

I also hope that if you do get another, you are completely prepared tohouse them separately for the rest of their lives which means you needa cage and you need to make sure you have the time for 2 separaterabbits. Not only that, you cannot bring home a rabbit from astore/shelter and just put him in your rabbits cage and hope they getalong, I can almost guarentee fighting!

I would say 9/10 times a neutered and un-neutered male will fight. andI would say that only 4/10 times (if not less), you can sucessfullybond 2 neutered males with a LOT of patience. That's a 90% chance theywil fight and a 60%+ chance that they will not bond at all.

I have 2 males that were bonded together for 7 months. They wereneutered for 5 monthsbeforethey started fighting tothe deathone day out of the blue. Ever since then I have beenunable to put them together without a disasterous result but they arestill both living with me, just in separate cages.

So I definitely say NO to a second until you are prepared for twice thework, twice the time, twice the money, and twice the cages.
Thx for telling me that. I think I'll waita year orso to get my 2nd rabbit. But high percent i'm jsut not going to getanother one.

So how did today go? Did you have any bondingsessions? How did they go? I hope you do get to realize whatwonderful creatures rabbits are. They just need some understanding.

Spring wrote:
Sohow did today go? Did you have any bonding sessions? How did they go? Ihope you do get to realize what wonderful creatures rabbitsare. They just need some understanding.
Yep, I got bitten by myrabbit lots of times. But it didn't hurt a lot. And I notice howticklelish it is when a rabbit move around you. And I notice my rabbitis more active at night than at day. becuz I let it out 2 times todayand it mostly slept during the day and now it's night and it was moreactive. My parents actually started to play with the rabbit. I guessthey just say things like having a rabbit is a bad idea, but when I getit they changed and learned to accept it. What amazes me is that theycalled my rabbit smart becuz I didn't litter train it but it alreadyknows where to pee and poop most of the time. They nevercall me smart and they call my rabbit smart :sad:My parentsare soo werid. Anyway the rabbit is having a lot more room andexercise. I let it out more than a hour a day, but I just don't playwith it all the time. He seemed to enjoying exploring the little peiceof land I gave it. :bunny19But I still want a 2nd rabbit.Probably going to get it next year when my rabbit learns how to liveoutside the cage and not cause troble. wonder how long that willtake:eek:hwelleveryone is telling me to be patience. I'll just give ittime.

magicapple wrote:
Yep, I got bitten by my rabbit lots of times. But it didn'thurt a lot. And I notice how ticklelish it is when a rabbit move aroundyou.
Your rabbit is a "teenager" right now. Rabbits under their first yearget obnoxious about nipping and digging from about 4 mo. to 12 mo. old.This is the rough stage, when they get all weird. Most of that biteystuff will fade within a few months, most likely, if it's not an angerbiting thing. If it doesn't hurt much, he's probably just testingthings out.

Some rabbits are generally more active--my huge two-year-old unneuteredPalominomale is a hyperactive maniac that likes to play chaseRose games. My Holland lops are fragile little souls that spend a lotof time sleeping. Love 'em, but they have way more health problems thanthe big breeds.

I have a soft spot for large rabbits, but they often scare first-time owners until you figure out how they act.

Rose

Latest posts

Back