I Can't Believe This is Happening

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
So, I noticed a couple of days ago that Molly was losing weight, and I was really concerned. I made her an appointment for Tuesday morning to have her teeth checked/bloodwork etc. Aside from the weight loss, she seemed perfectly fine eating andbehavior wise - a little lazy, but she's always lazy. Her poops were a little dry so I was hoping her "weight loss" was just dehydration, and I brought home some kitten milk replacer to syringe to her this afternoon.

When I went in to feed her, I noticed that she made this loud somewhat congested noise that wasn't a sneeze, more like a honk. I checked her eyes and nose and there's no discharge. I put my ear to her side and could hear some loud congestion, like her lungs are filled with fluid.

So I'm scrambling to find a vet who is open Saturday evenings (mine is closed until Tuesday), who deals with rabbits, when I remember that my boyfriend has my debit card and he's in Toronto which is 5 hours away, and won't be home until midnight. There are two 24 hour vets in the area who I called, and neither of them are rabbit knowledgable at all. So, I could take her to see one of them when Rob gets home but they won't know what to do or what to perscribe (their words, not mine), and they won't let me TELL them what I need and just perscribe it to me, either.

So I keep calling around to find a vet who is open Sundays, which for some reason is rare, who also deals with rabbits, which seems to be rare as well. I finally find ONE and I'm so relieved that I break down in tears on the phone (I mean, hysterical) and the poor receptionist is trying to desperately get my name and number while I'm blubbering like a baby. So we have an appointment at 10:00 tomorrow morning. I hope it's a different receptionist.

I'm seriously panicking right now. I know this is really serious and I'm so worried I'll get there and they'll tell me it's progressed too far. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about rabbit respiratory illness? If it's harsh, that's fine. I want to be prepared for anything.

Also, I feel like I should keep her hydrated. Should I give her some kmr anyway, or will this just stress her out?

Don't give her any kitten formula at all..rabbits cannot digest milk !!

Get some children's electrolyte drink like pedialyte and syringe that if you have to get fluids in her ...but be careful because if she has a respiratory infection in her chest she may be at high risk of aspirating;

I assume that she has stopped eating and drinking??? If she still is eating and drinking just let her be. If she is not drinking much add a little apple juice to the water and maybe this will encourage her to drink...

if she has difficulty breathing you can run hot water in the bathroom and let her breathe the steambut even better use a cool mister which is like a vaporizer except blows out cool mist which is easier to breather than hot mist. I bought one at Walgreens .
I had a rabbit who developed a respiratory chest problem and she was on baytril for awhile but the condition returned. Finally I learned to give her bicillin injections myself and this cured the condition.

I would keep the fluids going, deluted apple juice what ever. If she has a fever she will deydrate rapidly. Other than that I don't know what to suggest as I have never heard of anything like this.Keep her where she is cool and maybe put some moisture from a humidifier in the air. If it is hot it will contribute to her discomfort and difficulty in breathy. Everyone on this site talks about syringing critical care - I don't know if we have it in Canada or even what it is. Phone the pet store or vet and ask.

Okay according to the web,Critical Care is by oxbow and is a food supplement given to animals when they are not eating or recovering, your pet store should have it or similar product. I agree not kitten milk, hot steam in the bathroom like how you treat croup is a good idea.

angieluv wrote:
Don't give her any kitten formula at all..rabbits cannot digest milk !!

I got the kmr because it can be used to help feed baby buns. What makes it bad for adults? Also, there's no actual dairy in it.

I'm actually switching this thread to a different thread, because I've been doing research and it seems as though it could be a few different things. Keep an eye out for a new topic in a few minutes.

if they use it for baby buns and there are no dairy products, then it should be alright. Didn't realize there was no dairy, although when Benjamin is travelling I give him unflavoured probiotic yogurt and he is just fine with it.

Even KMR alone is not the correct milk replacement formula for orphan domestics and cottontails ...it is a more complex recipe

Critical Care usually has to be obtained from a vet or ordered online from Oxbow ; I have never seen Critical Care sold at a local petstore.
You can make a pellet slurry on your own by grinding her pellets in a blender , possibly using a small amount of pure unseasoned canned pumpkin to make it more palatable and to add fiber ..you can use pedialyte and maybe a small amount of fresh pineapple juice to mix it so that it isfine enough to get into a syringe.

if you think that she is eating , however, I wouldn't ttry syringe feeding

Another product that is often recommeneded in emergencies to keep up strength is Nutrical which is sold in a tube for dogs/cats ; this is also a debated issue. however it is safer to give Nutrical than KMR .

Milk replacement formula could really disrupt the GI flora of the gut in a rabbit and that is the last thing that you need....

True that. Thank you. Perhaps you have some further insight on Molly's condition? I've posted a new topic in the Infirmary and I'd love everyone's opinions.

Latest posts

Back