I cannot get him to use his litter box again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to retrain my bun for weeks now but it’s not working. He had some GI stasis a couple weeks back and began peeing in different spots in his cage. Since then, I have not been able to get him to use his litter box. He doesn’t pee out of the pen but inside, anywhere is fair game. I even got him a larger litter box with high sides so he can’t eat the hay out of the box and poop where he’s eating if that makes sense.
Any tips on litter re-training are appreciated.
(He’s a 1 year old neutered male)

Is the cage is home, or homebase? In other words, if the bunny totally free roam and can go into that cage as her own space, but he's never locked in there? If so, I would slowly start moving the pen to a corner where you want him to use the bathroom. Once he gets used to it, replace that pen in the corner with a kitty litter box (without a hood).

Is the cage is home, or homebase? In other words, if the bunny totally free roam and can go into that cage as her own space, but he's never locked in there? If so, I would slowly start moving the pen to a corner where you want him to use the bathroom. Once he gets used to it, replace that pen in the corner with a kitty litter box (without a hood).
Throughout the day, he can roam around the living room but at night he gets imprisoned since he’s a trouble maker and will always find something to mess around in no matter how good of a bunnyproof job I do

You are likely either going to need to temporarily reduce space to the litter box or right around it until the litter habits are back in place, then gradually start increasing space again. Or fill the area with litter boxes, then gradually take out one at a time as litter habits improve.

You are likely either going to need to temporarily reduce space to the litter box or right around it until the litter habits are back in place, then gradually start increasing space again. Or fill the area with litter boxes, then gradually take out one at a time as litter habits improve.
Ok. Will keep you posted. His home base isn’t large (2x3 NIC grids which are each 14 inches). Would you say that’s confining enough? I will add another 2 litter boxes in there. Oh gosh he’s going to be so squashed lol.

Try it, if he's still having accidents then, reduce some more or add another litter box.

On thing to consider is if he is deliberately doing it or its unintentional. Usually unintentional is incontinence from a health issue, and that would be more like he is dribbling urine and getting a soaked bum, or drinking and peeing excessively . If that's happening then you'll need to get him back to the vet.

@JBun he definitely goes in specific spots so that’s why I’m hesitant to think it’s health related. I did notice he’s drinking a bit more than usual. He got every test under the sun- e. Caniculi, liver, kidney, a whole panel of rabbit diseases. There’s literally no other tests they can think of without going invasive. Since he’s eating, drinking, pooping, peeing- they don’t want to do anything further. Vet said not to worry about the peeing and that it doesn’t seem health related.

so I put two litter boxes and layers of pee pads. I’m out of wood stove pellets (our store hasn’t gotten their shipment in) so I’m using pee pads in the litter box as well. I don’t love that since his poor feet get wetter. Wood stove pellets are coming in tomorrow though so that’s reassuring.

Try it, if he's still having accidents then, reduce some more or add another litter box.

On thing to consider is if he is deliberately doing it or its unintentional. Usually unintentional is incontinence from a health issue, and that would be more like he is dribbling urine and getting a soaked bum, or drinking and peeing excessively . If that's happening then you'll need to get him back to the vet.
I’m actually pretty impressed with him today. I’ve attached a photo.

Attachments

• C5D6CEB5-AA2E-45CC-A22A-FCA561558B57.jpeg
    C5D6CEB5-AA2E-45CC-A22A-FCA561558B57.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 11

He's still majorly having accidents. When I clean the layers of fleece, they're always soaked with pee spots. I'm at my wits end.

Can't find your last thread. It's difficult to follow a topic when there is more than one thread on the same subject. Maybe better to keep it altogether on one thread so people can see the whole story and not just bits.

Can't find your last thread. It's difficult to follow a topic when there is more than one thread on the same subject. Maybe better to keep it altogether on one thread so people can see the whole story and not just bits.
It’s the wet bum thread. I figured it was different enough and more a medical thing than this issue.

Latest posts

Back