i am FURIOUS.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butsy

Reaction score
so i went to the petstore today to pick some stuff up for butsy and went to the rabbit area. i saw lots of cute bunnies, then my friend pointed one out to me. what i saw DISGUSTED me. a baby rabbit looking JUST like butsy, (white albino) with pee and poop stained ALL over him :( he was living in a fish tank with no water. then i look and see the poor rabbit is ON SALE. likeSERIOUSLY????? i was sooooooooo mad and i felt sooo bad for the poor bunny :( i wanted to take him home soooo bad, but i cant afford a new bunny,specially with obvious health problems. what should i do? , i stil cant believe this :(

I would call the SPCA. No water is a definite violation. The medical condition of the animal is also a concern. If there are other animals in the same store then it is a problem. Hopefully the SPCA will investigate and get the store to do something about it.

so i just tell them to go check the petstore out?
i dont believe our SPCA cares very much... once i saw a man psysicly abusing a dog and they did absolutely nothing about it.. i will give them a call tomorrow tho !

I would give them a call. I know a humane law enforcement officer and she has a list of pet stores she knows "tread the line" for humane treatment. She makes regular checks on them and ensures they're doing things properly. If you alert this store to the SPCA, they will at least know to check it out.

Take photos. Undercover, if you have to; get your friend to distract them. It might help the SPCA, if they want proof, or anything. Unfortunately, stuff like this is a common occurance with some pet stores. :(

I'm in the same boat, I actually have to make a call to the SPCA today.

There is 2 full sized holland lops here in a 20 gallon tank with NO food and NO water and one of them is having some major teeth problems, his bottom tooth is so long he can't close his mouth :(

Every person that walked by they were standing up sniffing the air they were so hungry, it was heart wrenching.

butsy wrote:
so i went to the petstore today to pick some stuff up for butsy and went to the rabbit area. i saw lots of cute bunnies, then my friend pointed one out to me. what i saw DISGUSTED me. a baby rabbit looking JUST like butsy, (white albino) with pee and poop stained ALL over him :( he was living in a fish tank with no water. then i look and see the poor rabbit is ON SALE. likeSERIOUSLY????? i was sooooooooo mad and i felt sooo bad for the poor bunny :( i wanted to take him home soooo bad, but i cant afford a new bunny,specially with obvious health problems. what should i do? , i stil cant believe this :(
unfortunately for the animals,,pet stores donot pay much for hired help,..i found my self in a simular situation and purchased the animals--rabbits-- then reported the store to the authorities,,--as you mention-health problems were apparent,and lives were cut short--but good years...no regrets,,lots of dvm bills....sincerely james waller:big wink::innocent

:mad: those idiots need to have someone on their butts. Call SPCA and ask The shop for their "up the chain of command" contact lists and inform them as well. It's what I would do. And if none of that worked I'd start scaring both the store and SPCA into doing what they should an let both know I'll go to the news with pics and names concerning both parties. I'm sure neither would want negative attention directed at them. Especially with hard proof to back up the claim.

so i called SPCA, and they didnt take me to seriously because i am only 17 ... but they said they would try to ''find time'' to go check it out .. i guess thats all i can do for now ...

If I could call long distance I'd call and give them a piece of my mind. Go up the store chain of command and see if that does anything. Tell them your 20 if that will do anything. Sure lieing is wrong but abuse is worse.

What pet store is it?

I'm going to Moncton on Nov 7th and I'll be checking out the stores, let me know which one and I'll be sure to pay extra attention and if I see anything then I'll call as well.

its pets unlimited !! .
yeah they usually ask for age so no one calls for stupid things i think . i will deffinatly try the chain of command . i just HATE to think that there is a bunny unhappy and not feeling well stuck in a fish tank !. i wish i could afford another bunn :( im going to return to the pet store tomorrow and see if he is still there :(

Post the email address of the store and the SPCA (and Humane Society if applicable) here and maybe people writing in with put some pressure on them.

I agree with taking photos, and I also think purchasing the rabbit will only enable the store to continue the practice. If a rabbit is in danger and really needs to be gotten out and buying it is the only way to get it done in time, do what James did, follow-up with loud complaints to the store and reports to the authorities.

sas :clover:

AquaticRex wrote:
:mad: those idiots need to have someone on their butts. Call SPCA and ask The shop for their "up the chain of command" contact lists and inform them as well. It's what I would do. And if none of that worked I'd start scaring both the store and SPCA into doing what they should an let both know I'll go to the news with pics and names concerning both parties. I'm sure neither would want negative attention directed at them. Especially with hard proof to back up the claim.
I agree if the chain of command doesn't help which if they are like any others I have dealt with. threatening helps but make sure you have pics to back your story up. SPCA and Humane Society have never helped me there was one guy that had 70 skin and bone horse as well as bones from old horses on his property. They said as long as they have a tiny bit of water and food they can't do anything.

that makes me so mad. thats what they are here for, helping and speaking up for the animals who cant do that on their own and they arent doing their jobs !!

The thing is even if they dont do anything they still get paid, which I think is absolutely disgusting. They should be paid by how many animals they help but they aren't they can sit on their buts twidling their thumbs they still get paid.

Crystal

Something else I know someone did, when the SPCA ignored them, was to take it to the papers. Bad publicity is the last thing the store will want, and hopefully it will make the SPCA sit up and take notice. Take photos, and see it a local newspaper is interested.

Latest posts

Back