Quantcast

I adopted a one-year-old American rabbit from the dog pound he jumped off

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Kim2021

Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
Texas
I adopted a one-year-old American rabbit from the dog pound he jumped off my bed and now his back foot is swollen. I can't get an appointment for two weeks they're booked up. How can I tell if it's a sprain or break ? How can I take care of bugs. Please help new bunny mom
 

Blue eyes

Staff member
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
8,037
Reaction score
4,822
Location
Arizona, USA
Our health moderator, Jenny, may have some thoughts. Until she sees this, I'd suggest calling a number of different vets. Any rabbit savvy vet would know that this can't wait 2 weeks.
 

Kim2021

Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
Texas
Is there an animal hospital in your town? They might have a rabbit vet there.
I've called everywhere there are only two that even will see rabbits one has no appointments until next Friday and the other doesn't have any appointments open for 3 weeks
 

Kim2021

Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
Texas
Is there an animal hospital in your town? They might have a rabbit vet there.
I'm in Texas and they're telling me that they're booked up for weeks because of the storm and a lot of animals are showing up sick. He is still eating and drinking not moving around as much as he used to.
 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
9,272
Reaction score
3,968
Location
Utah, , USA
The vet you're booked with, ask them what you should do for your rabbit while you're waiting for your appointment in 2 weeks. I would ask them about pain relief, if it's ok to give some baby aspirin. Or maybe they will let you come pick some metacam up. It's an anti inflammatory pain reliever that is often prescribed for mild to moderate pain in rabbits.


It's also important to ensure your rabbit is eating and drinking normally, and if not then you will also need a syringe feeding mix(oxbow critical care or sherwood recovery mix, bought online or from your vet) and feeding syringes, to syringe feed your rabbit regularly to prevent GI stasis from occurring.

When there is no open fracture, bleeding, and it's not an immediate emergency, pain relief when your bun is showing signs of pain, and ensuring your bun is eating(and syringe feeding if not) are the most important things to take care of until you can get your bun seen.

The vet should also suggest to you to restrict movement until you are sure it's not broken. If there is a break, movement should be restricted to a very small area until the bone can be splinted, to prevent the break and injury site from further damage from excessive movement. Preferably your rabbit should be kept indoors if he isn't already.

Medirabbit (bone fractures in rabbits)

 

Kim2021

Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2021
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
Texas
The vet you're booked with, ask them what you should do for your rabbit while you're waiting for your appointment in 2 weeks. I would ask them about pain relief, if it's ok to give some baby aspirin. Or maybe they will let you come pick some metacam up. It's an anti inflammatory pain reliever that is often prescribed for mild to moderate pain in rabbits.


It's also important to ensure your rabbit is eating and drinking normally, and if not then you will also need a syringe feeding mix(oxbow critical care or sherwood recovery mix, bought online or from your vet) and feeding syringes, to syringe feed your rabbit regularly to prevent GI stasis from occurring.

When there is no open fracture, bleeding, and it's not an immediate emergency, pain relief when your bun is showing signs of pain, and ensuring your bun is eating(and syringe feeding if not) are the most important things to take care of until you can get your bun seen.

The vet should also suggest to you to restrict movement until you are sure it's not broken. If there is a break, movement should be restricted to a very small area until the bone can be splinted, to prevent the break and injury site from further damage from excessive movement. Preferably your rabbit should be kept indoors if he isn't already.

Medirabbit (bone fractures in rabbits)

Bugs seems to be doing just fine now he seems to be hopping around and eating a lot drinking a lot and very playful again
 

Latest posts

Top