I’m worried mama won’t feed her babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:))

Reaction score
My rabbit had a litter last night and they look alittle skinny.At what point should I be worried and what can I do to help them survive.

Usually they feed within 24h, sometimes it can take up to 48h. After you checked the nest for dead kits, cleaned out and replaced wet or soiled bedding, better leave the nest and the doe alone, what she needs now is food, rest and privacy. Some does will never go near the nest while anyone is around, at least at the start, they are prey animals after all, so hovering around checking if she feeds can be counterproductive. I also would keep the doe in the cage or quite small pen for one or two days.

EDIT: You can take the nest box inside during the hot hours of the day, if necessary.

Usually they feed within 24h, sometimes it can take up to 48h. After you checked the nest for dead kits, cleaned out and replaced wet or soiled bedding, better leave the nest and the doe alone, what she needs now is food, rest and privacy. Some does will never go near the nest while anyone is around, at least at the start, they are prey animals after all, so hovering around checking if she feeds can be counterproductive. I also would keep the doe in the cage or quite small pen for one or two days.

EDIT: You can take the nest box inside during the hot hours of the day, if necessary.

I was on a trip and I came home to 6 babies on the floor of the hutch...luckily it wasn’t on the wire and it was 96 degrees outside I put all six of them back in and removed the clumps of poop (because she decided to make a nest in the litter box.... I decided not to switch up the box) now she has found a different area to go to the bathroom and this morning I fed her to distract her and make sure they were fed and all 6 even the smaller one looked full...but now I’m worried about her her tail seems to be wet and I don’t see any diarrhea in the hutch ???:(

is her tail just wet or is it poopy? babys who arent being fed are normally skinny and wrinkly while well fed ones dont have very many wrinkles and have really round bellys. is this her first litter? Hopefully this is somewhat helpful also if the nesting box gets too hot you can use something like a small cardboard box with no top as a nesting box ive seen alot of people do that

is her tail just wet or is it poopy? babys who arent being fed are normally skinny and wrinkly while well fed ones dont have very many wrinkles and have really round bellys. is this her first litter? Hopefully this is somewhat helpful also if the nesting box gets too hot you can use something like a small cardboard box with no top as a nesting box ive seen alot of people do that

Her tail is wet and there is alittle bit of brown stuff but I’m not finding any diarrhea in the hutch?is she okay I’m so worried:((

And yes it’s her first litter

If you see any diarrhea or think she has it you may want vet help if you cant get a vet make sure shes eating hay and not alot of pellets also when did you start noticing this? sometimes it can be because of stress or change of diet. Make sure to watch her and make sure shes drinking oh and sometimes pee will look a tad bit reddish brown but ive never had to deal with very serious diarrhea with my bunnies they sometimes had soft feces but often a little bit of old fashioned rolled oats helped some and extra hay

Latest posts

Back