Hutch Living + Access to Room Good??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So my boyfriend and I love our little Appa sooo much, but letting him have enough space in a house we share with four other roommates who all have pets of their own as well is difficult.

We have Appa in a two story hutch with soft bedding to protect his little feet. It’s big enough to fit his food and water bowls, a hay feeder, a water bottle, his litter box, and multiple blankets that he loves pushing around to make little nests for himself.

The big den in our house was empty for the longest time, so three times a day for two hours at a time, we’d take Appa in there to run around and play. He LOVED it, but the den has recently been transformed into a movie room and isn’t exactly bunny proof anymore.

My boyfriend and I decided to bunny proof our bedroom, where Appa’s hutch is, and make it possible for him to run around and get out of his hutch whenever he pleases. We have a second litter box on the other side of the room as well for him. I was just wondering if this is a good idea?

Appa LOVES his hutch and spends most of the day either lounging on his blankets in there or sleeping next to my side of the bed (because he’s a momma’s boy). But is a decent sized bedroom enough space for him? When it is around the times we used to take him into the den, he still seems just as excited and binkys, runs laps around the room, and begs for treats and pets.

I have read a lot about how rabbits should NOT be kept in hutches, but if we have the door open and he can freely come and go as he pleases, is there any problem with it?

Thank you so much!

It sounds like he still has room to run laps and do binkies in the room. Unless the room is super crowded with furniture (preventing lap running), having a room to roam should be just fine. Giving him the option to come and go in his hutch at will is ideal.

I have the door open on our hutch all day as well. My one remaining rabbit still prefers to spend most of his time in his hutch. But he always has the option to come out -- which he does every evening to beg for his treat!

Latest posts

Back