Humping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyJayneHarlow

Reaction score
I’ve recently been bonding my 2 rabbits together, and I’ve been putting them together in the same pen for a couple of hours a day to get used to each other
But my male rabbits keeps trying to hump my female, which is the new one,
What should I do? Do I let him do it?
They’ve both been fixed

Usually humping is a sign of dominance and your bun is trying to show the female that he is the 'alpha' in between them and that she should be more submissive. As long as your female doesn't try to fight back it should be fine, however some females may fight back and it may result in a more serious fight such as fur pulling and biting, if that happens you should use gloves and a dustpan to separate them, or if it is a very serious fight separate them completely and give them time to calm down.

Usually once the rabbits have gotten more used to each other it should stop, although when in new territories your male may try to mount her again just to show her that he is still the 'alpha' despite being in a new place, after a few minutes he should calm down and they should be fine.

Hope everything goes well with the bonding!

Usually humping is a sign of dominance and your bun is trying to show the female that he is the 'alpha' in between them and that she should be more submissive. As long as your female doesn't try to fight back it should be fine, however some females may fight back and it may result in a more serious fight such as fur pulling and biting, if that happens you should use gloves and a dustpan to separate them, or if it is a very serious fight separate them completely and give them time to calm down.

Usually once the rabbits have gotten more used to each other it should stop, although when in new territories your male may try to mount her again just to show her that he is still the 'alpha' despite being in a new place, after a few minutes he should calm down and they should be fine.

Hope everything goes well with the bonding!
Thank you so much!

I’ve recently been bonding my 2 rabbits together, and I’ve been putting them together in the same pen for a couple of hours a day to get used to each other
But my male rabbits keeps trying to hump my female, which is the new one,
What should I do? Do I let him do it?
They’ve both been fixed
So that's not two rabbits but two males and a female?
Were two males bonded already and female is new to the trio?
Humping is normal during bonding, it's about dominance, if there's no aggression it's fine and they should sort it out. Also if you have two males and one female males would often fight over her. Is she also neutered?
How old are each of your rabbits and I understood one male was neutered about one year ago but others?

So that's not two rabbits but two males and a female?
Were two males bonded already and female is new to the trio?
Humping is normal during bonding, it's about dominance, if there's no aggression it's fine and they should sort it out. Also if you have two males and one female males would often fight over her. Is she also neutered?
How old are each of your rabbits and I understood one male was neutered about one year ago but others?

I have 1 male rabbit, that was neutered over a year ago, he is 3 years old

I also have 1 female rabbit, that was spayed a couple of months ago,
They’re not aggressive at all

Latest posts

Back