Humping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teresa Zaffino

Reaction score
Hi. I have two five month Holland lop rabbits. They are brother and sister. They are neutered and spayed. They just recently started to hump each other. Should I be worried about that. Will they start to fight?

How long has the male been nuetered for? He could still breed with the female up to 2 months have neueter. It could also be dominance (trying to compete to be the boss bunny.)

I also wonder how recent was their neuter and spay. One should typically wait 8 weeks after neuter surgery before allowing the male with another rabbit. (And, yes, he can still be fertile for a while after the surgery)

I also wonder how recent was their neuter and spay. One should typically wait 8 weeks after neuter surgery before allowing the male with another rabbit. (And, yes, he can still be fertile for a while after the surgery)
They were both fixed at 3 months

Once dominance has been decided this can curb these "outbursts" but know it is normal for these things to happen every so often, even with a bonded pair.

Just make sure, like others have stated, to separate if it gets aggressive. You don't want them to fight, it could mess up the bond. If you haven't you should work on re-bonding/bonding them, it might help. Some hormones might still be active at this time causing some of this as well. Hopefully you can do some quick stress bonding and get these scuffs to stop.

Try putting them in a carrier together, not too big, and go for a 30 min drive, come home leave them in the carrier for 10-15 or put them in their shared space to snuggle from the stress of the car ride. You can also put them in the bathtub for a while, see how they fair....hopefully they will calm down and figure out who is boss and things will get back to "normal".

Latest posts

Back